X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Interview for Máni

Interview for Máni (6/2/2010)

LTW: How and when did you realize that the music is your pasion?

Máni: Music has alwyas been my passion! Both of my parents were musicians - my mother a singer and my father a drummer. He had his own band which starred my mother.
    My first memory of playing music goes back to when I was 5 years old. Our neighboor was the organist at the Reykjavik Cathredal. In his house, he had a Harpsichord an a Grand Piano.
    I remember sneaking into his music room and playing both of the instruments - but mostly the Piano.
    After one of their trips abroad, my parents gave me a "Stylophone". It´s one of the first synthesizers ever made for public - invented in the year I was born, 1967.
    Maybe that led to me later choosing electric keyboards instead of the classical piano - who knows.

LTW: What is your inspiration for write it?

Máni: It is really difficult to answer that question. But I think my inspiration is simply all the beautiful melodies that have been written in the past.
    From Mozart to Michael Jackson - from Beethoven to the Beatles. I´ve always loved melodies and how they can change your mood.
    For LazyTown, I tried to write music that puts a smile on your face - or even get you to move to the beat - or just hum along to the melody.

LTW: What is you LazyTown favourite song?

It may sound corny, but that is like trying to choose your favorite baby. They are all my favorite for many different reasons.
    But I think the songs I love the most are the ones that came out without any effort. The songs that I didn´t have to re-write - and then re-write again.
    Some of those songs are "Bing bang", "You ara a pirate", "Twenty times", "Teamwork" "Clean up" and "We will be friends".
    "Bing Bang" is a song that I wrote and recorded (the playback) in the year 1999 for the "Robbie Goes To LazyTown" live show in Iceland.
    It took 4 hours to write and record the whole thing and I haven´t changed or re-recorded a single note - and it still get´s me in a good mood!

LTW: What have you learned in these years of write songs for LazyTown?

Máni: I think my most valuable lessons has been: "If it aint broken - don´t fix it." I´ve learned to trust myself and not to be afraid of what other people might think of my music.

LTW: How do you meet Magnus?

Máni: In 1992, I was working as a salesman in a Hugo Boss shop in Iceland. In my free time I used to write music for my group, called "Peace of cake".
    We were quite famous at the time, due to our singer being the acctress in Iceland´s biggest movie at that time, called "Wallpaper".
    The other keyboardist in the group, Julius Kemp, was the director of that film - and the group also starred in the film.
    This was one of the first modern "dance" groups in Iceland, and I think Magnus picked up on the music in the film.
    One day he came to the shop and asked if I could make music for one of his his Aerobic Routines.
    That´s how it all began and we have been working together ever since.

LTW: When Magnus created LazyTown and said that you work with him. Did you said yes immediately or you thought that maybe the project doesn't work?

Máni: To be honest, I thought he had gone "bonkers". I didn´t have kids at that time and wasn´t thinking about children´s music or children´s stories.
    But I knew that everything Magnus did, he did 150% - and it´s always good to be around people like that. So of course I decided to join in.

LTW: Are you a LazyTown fan? I mean, do you follow it often?, if your answer is yes, how many times do you see the episodes?, what's your favorite episode?

Máni: Of course I´m a LazyTown fan!! I have three kids that have all grown up with LazyTown so I have seen all the episodes many times.
    Obviously I watched them hundreds of times when we were making them - but also watched them many times with the kids.
    My top 5 episodes are, in no particular order, "Rottenbeard", "Snowmonster", "School Scam", "My Treehouse" and "Birthday Surprise".
    I could name many many others - but these are the first ones to come to mind.

LTW: Do you want to say something to the fans club?

Máni: It´s been a pleasant surprise to realize that LazyTown has such a big and loyal fan-base. I never imagined that "kids" at all ages would like our work this much.
    I can only say I´m deeply touched and grateful to know that people - all over the world - are singing along to my simple little melodies.
    I´m blessed to have friends like you guys and I will always be grateful for everything you have done for LazyTown and my music.

Copyright © 2010 LazyTown World. All rights reserved.

Re: Interview for Máni (6/2/2010)

Awesome Ana! Thanks for sharing it with us

Comment

Agreed! Good job!

Comment

"The songs that I didn´t have to re-write - and then re-write again. Some of those songs are "Bing bang", "You ara a pirate", "Twenty times", "Teamwork" "Clean up" and "We will be friends"."

respect Mani...respect...and thank you for the music...
        Gallery

Comment

Originally posted by beticaforever
          In my free time I used to write music for my group, called "Peace of cake"
          Well, that explains a lot!

Comment

Originally posted by Stingy
            In my free time I used to write music for my group, called "Peace of cake"
            Well, that explains a lot!
            Ah, that would be the band he was in... the last time someone asked for his autograph... before me.

Comment

Great interview indeed. Good job.

PS:
              Copyright © 2010 LazyTown World. All rights reserved.
              Really? lol

Comment

Awesome interview, Ana, thank you very much!

Comment

LTW: What is you LazyTown favourite song?

Some of those songs are "Bing bang", "You are a pirate", "Twenty times", "Teamwork" "Clean up" and "We will be friends".

LTW: Are you a LazyTown fan? I mean, do you follow it often?, if your answer is yes, how many times do you see the episodes?, what's your favorite episode?

Máni:
                  My top 5 episodes are, in no particular order, "Rottenbeard", "Snowmonster", "School Scam", "My Treehouse" and "Birthday Surprise".

Mani Wins

Comment

Working...
                  X