This topic has been answered.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Where is Lazytown?

What country? What city? We know it might be in an English country as the Empire State is mentioned.
    However it might not be US or Aussie or the UK or Canada - as their political situations are ministers and royalty and presidents. Lazytown has a MAYOR.
    MY ACTION MOVIE REVIEW BLOG | MY SPORTACUS FAN-SITE
  • Answer selected by possessor at 27 January 2024, 02:51.

Great question.
    I have always headcanonned them to live in Borgarnes, Iceland, since Scheving had a similar upbringing of very-few-kids in his small-town origin (CLICK HERE to see him talk about it) and he wrote that first book Afram Latibaer specifically for Icelanders.

I don't think the English is relevant to their location. I felt as though they speak in English for our convenience, similarly to how Ratatouille takes place in France/French but everyone speaks English (and therefore I find the French-language version of Ratatouille to be the 'realer' one). Same goes with other Pixar movies like Luca, etc. We all know where/who they are even if the language is different.

I don't mind the Empire City thing, since to me that's a common TV euphemism for whichever main city it is; New York, Reykavik, whatever. The Simpsons did the same thing when they hilariously had a song about Capitol City to parody NYC, and so did Steven Universe singing about Empire City to parody NYC.

Additionally, it's definitely Northern Hemisphere, which rules out Australia and others, because the characters appeared cold during Christmas (...if my memory serves me correctly), and I believe Southern Hemisphere nations get warmer during the end of the year.

LET'S COMPARE THE MAPS...

Click image for larger version

Name:	cgi-town-top-view-03.png
Views:	157
Size:	1.22 MB
ID:	192981
    This is the map of where they live, taken from the theme song. As can be seen, it's rural and disconnected from any other jurisdiction, and is generally flat plains/farmland. Despite the flatlands here, there are mountains in the distance. This can help anyone arguing they live in the American Midwest or Northwest, such as Montana or Colorado?

This is unlike Borgarnes, which is essentially an island and not surrounded by plains (the mountains do match though):

Name:	2880px-1_borgarnes_aerial_pano_2017.jpg
Views:	151
Size:	719.3 KB
ID:	192980
    HOWEVER...compare this little town across the water from Borgarnes:

Click image for larger version  Name:	Screen Shot 2023-11-23 at 9.18.16 PM.png Views:	0 Size:	2.96 MB ID:	192973
    A close match, is it not? Distant mountains, farms, grasslands, middle of nowhere, no roads connecting it to other towns.

CONCLUSION

Anyway, after this research, I consider Lazytown to be likely a neighboring town to Borgarnes.
    All the more reason for me to go down to Iceland and try to find a match, when that park finally opens!!!

Thanks for the inquiry and inspiring me to try way too hard to triangulate their location. XD
    Last edited by LazyPooky; 24 November 2023, 10:54. Reason: Restored map image

Comment

Somewhere between Metropolis and Gotham City. 😀
      http://eighteenlightyearsago.ytmnd.com/

Comment

Where the streets have no name.
        Magnús: - I have fans of all ages and I don't think it's weird when older people like LazyTown. LazyTown appeals to people for many different reasons: dancing, acrobatics, etc.

Comment

l i t t l e s t e p h e r s

Comment

Originally posted by LazyPooky View Post
            Where the streets have no name.
            Where Bruce Willis Dies Hard.

Comment

Great question.
              I have always headcanonned them to live in Borgarnes, Iceland, since Scheving had a similar upbringing of very-few-kids in his small-town origin (CLICK HERE to see him talk about it) and he wrote that first book Afram Latibaer specifically for Icelanders.

I don't think the English is relevant to their location. I felt as though they speak in English for our convenience, similarly to how Ratatouille takes place in France/French but everyone speaks English (and therefore I find the French-language version of Ratatouille to be the 'realer' one). Same goes with other Pixar movies like Luca, etc. We all know where/who they are even if the language is different.

I don't mind the Empire City thing, since to me that's a common TV euphemism for whichever main city it is; New York, Reykavik, whatever. The Simpsons did the same thing when they hilariously had a song about Capitol City to parody NYC, and so did Steven Universe singing about Empire City to parody NYC.

Additionally, it's definitely Northern Hemisphere, which rules out Australia and others, because the characters appeared cold during Christmas (...if my memory serves me correctly), and I believe Southern Hemisphere nations get warmer during the end of the year.

LET'S COMPARE THE MAPS...

Name:	cgi-town-top-view-03.png
Views:	157
Size:	1.22 MB
ID:	192981
              This is the map of where they live, taken from the theme song. As can be seen, it's rural and disconnected from any other jurisdiction, and is generally flat plains/farmland. Despite the flatlands here, there are mountains in the distance. This can help anyone arguing they live in the American Midwest or Northwest, such as Montana or Colorado?

This is unlike Borgarnes, which is essentially an island and not surrounded by plains (the mountains do match though):

Name:	2880px-1_borgarnes_aerial_pano_2017.jpg
Views:	151
Size:	719.3 KB
ID:	192980
              HOWEVER...compare this little town across the water from Borgarnes:

Click image for larger version  Name:	Screen Shot 2023-11-23 at 9.18.16 PM.png Views:	0 Size:	2.96 MB ID:	192973
              A close match, is it not? Distant mountains, farms, grasslands, middle of nowhere, no roads connecting it to other towns.

CONCLUSION

Anyway, after this research, I consider Lazytown to be likely a neighboring town to Borgarnes.
              All the more reason for me to go down to Iceland and try to find a match, when that park finally opens!!!

Thanks for the inquiry and inspiring me to try way too hard to triangulate their location. XD
              Last edited by LazyPooky; 24 November 2023, 10:54. Reason: Restored map image

Comment

A simple question turned into a homework lesson.. lol! Thanks. Bit if it was in Iceland then all the signs and stuff would be Icelandic language, not English. I guess this was because the show is American.

Comment

The show is American? What? Are there any Americans in the show besides Julianna? What is American about it?
                  l i t t l e s t e p h e r s

Comment

It's very interesting because the show was filmed in Iceland, but made for America.
                    So you could say it's an Icelandic/American show.

Comment

Originally posted by chuft View Post
                      The show is American? What? Are there any Americans in the show besides Julianna? What is American about it?
                      David was American (Milford)
                      Aymee was American (Trixie)
                      The show had a lot of Americans in the crew
                      Kobie (Pixel) was American
                      And Nickelodeon is American

Comment

Lazytown exists in the same realm as Middle Earth

A hidden place like Imladris better known as Rivendell.

Name:	Lazytowm-2077.png
Views:	117
Size:	1.39 MB
ID:	192992

http://eighteenlightyearsago.ytmnd.com/

Comment

What about Swellville from Henry Danger?

Comment

Working...
                          X