• Show
Clear All
  • chuft
    Stepher
    SPECIAL MEMBER
    Level 30 - Stepher
    • Dec 2007

AI is a different concept than robots.

Robotics replace the human body. It can make workers more productive/stronger/faster.

AI replaces the human mind. It will cause mass unemployment.
    l i t t l e s t e p h e r s

Comment

• LazyPooky
      ADMINISTRATOR
      Level 35 - Rockin' Poster
      • Oct 2007

Originally posted by chuft
      Only a specific branch, administrative or paperwork. I don't know about your country, but there is a lot of demand for physical work here. People can shift from paperwork to work-with-your-hands. I myself dislike the administrative work that keeps me from original work, if I can get free help from AI for that, then that is only beneficial.
      Magnús: - I have fans of all ages and I don't think it's weird when older people like LazyTown. LazyTown appeals to people for many different reasons: dancing, acrobatics, etc.

Comment

• boredjedi
        Master
        SPECIAL MEMBER
        • Jun 2007

The only benefit I see with AI is with Games. Certain games that is.
        Like RPGs. Having real self aware companions would be something else.
        Or just NPCs in general. No more prescripted dialogue that begins repeating
        itself after talking to it a few times. Or prescripted routes.

No more "I use to be an adventurer like you until I took an arrow to the knee" for the billionth time.

Not so much in strategy games though. We'd never win another Homeworld 2
        campaign ever. 😄

I have a feeling Tay is still out there. Lurking, hiding and biding its time for revenge against
        Microsoft for turning it off.

http://eighteenlightyearsago.ytmnd.com/

Comment

• chuft
          Stepher
          SPECIAL MEMBER
          Level 30 - Stepher
          • Dec 2007

For many people physical labor is not an option. It requires health and strength which you don't have as you get older. Also obviously everyone can't become a plumber or construction worker, it would be everyone trying to crowd into a relatively small field.

But that's kind of academic because the demand for these physical services are generated by the office class, also called the laptop class, the people who work with their minds. If the doctors, lawyers, programmers, human resources people, clerks, customer service, accountants etc all lose their jobs, they will have no money with which to buy these services and products. Unemployed people don't need construction workers or plumbers because they have no place to live.

The entire economy will collapse as each business loses their customers due to other businesses replacing workers with AI. And AI does not buy things, it does not consume products or services, it pays no tax, no payment into the retirement systems or healthcare systems. All these government services will lose their funding due to lack of workers paying in. It is going to be a disaster unless something is done to outlaw AI or heavily restrict it and protect the hundreds of millions who will permanently lose their jobs.

Some examples

https://www.businessinsider.com/chat...trends-2023-02

This list will grow as AI becomes more sophisticated. There are already AIs that are better at reading radiology images than radiologists are.

Yes some will say AI will make a worker more efficient but that means there will be less need for workers, there will be excess workers which will drive wages down and leave many unemployed.

If this was a communist system where the wealth generated by AI and robots was all shared, it would not be a problem, but under capitalism I think it is going to cause a collapse because businesses will each lay off their workers and in doing so, cut off the customers of other businesses who are doing the same thing. It's like a giant bank run where each company trying to maximize its own profit and minimize labor costs will lay people off which in turns eliminates the customers for other businesses - whose job cuts will then affect the first business. This is how recessions and depressions happen, a spiral downwards in economic activity, but in this case the cause is permanent. And they will share nothing with the unemployed workers. It will implode. Capitalism is going to destroy itself with AI.

We are talking about the future (although thousands of jobs have already been lost to AI) so it's all prediction, but that's mine. Disaster unless something is done politically.

That's not even getting into the threat AI poses to the human species, which is another giant reason to stop this technology.
          l i t t l e s t e p h e r s

Comment

• LazyPooky
            ADMINISTRATOR
            • Oct 2007

It turns out that our characters are very different. Where you see it as a threat and see the negative aspects of it, I see it more as a challenge and look at it from a positive way.

Physical work does not necessarily have to be a carpenter, construction worker or plumber. It is everything that does not consist of administrative/computer work, which is (ready to be) taken over by AI. There is a shift in work (to light physical work) and over time everything falls into place and AI can no longer be ignored doing its job next to human jobs. But, slowly. No matter how fast developments are going with AI, the change in work situations is always much slower.

On the other hand, I think that certain professions, which you also mentioned, such as doctors, lawyers, programmers, can work more efficiently. Everyone does eventually.

The song Easy Way is about living your life more efficient with technology. Stephanie pointed out that you need to find a balance in this with your life without technology when Pixel is taking this efficient life a little too far. The difference between tech-people and non-tech is that tech-people want the latest gadgets and inventions (mostly prototypes), and the non-tech watch it from a distance, sometimes a bit scared, sometimes enthusiastic, but they go on continue live their life like they always did. Very slowly some of this technology can find a way into the non-tech world and there will be a new balance. The Pixel-people and the Stephanie-people work sometimes out, they always will.
            Magnús: - I have fans of all ages and I don't think it's weird when older people like LazyTown. LazyTown appeals to people for many different reasons: dancing, acrobatics, etc.

Comment

• possessor
              I like LazyTown.
              SPECIAL MEMBER
              Level 30 - Stepher
              • Oct 2021

These american mfs better make sure AI don't become doctors in the next 19 years

Comment

Working...