• Show
Clear All

• O rly disney?

Click image for larger version

Name:	1013236_417120745090733_273286402_n.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	12.5 KB
ID:	152866

It's time for some reminder, why I'm nationalist...

This is how Turks were depicted in the Mulan.

And that guy is Mete Han, one of my favorite people that lead Turks throughout the history.

WE ARE NOT MOTHER****ING DUNMER, YOU SONS OF BITCHES!!!

Re: O rly disney?

Wait, that's not actually a reason to be nationalist.

Comment

Originally posted by FireRed View Post
      [ATTACH=CONFIG]4351[/ATTACH]

And that guy is Mete Han, one of my favorite people that lead Turks throughout the history.

Um, those are the Huns.
      Mulan is set during the Han Dynasty in China.
      The Turks would not exist as a nation for another 400 - 600 years.

If you are referring to the Türk people (who have nothing to do with the Turks from Turkey) then you are also a little bit out of time.
      They only threw off their Ruruan rulers in the Sixth Century.
      Mulan is set in the time period 200 BC to 200 CE.

But yes... I did think that the depiction of the enemies in Mulan was a bit racist... now that you mention it.

Comment

Meh I think people call something racist too easily. Granted I haven't seen the film but I've noticed people tend to cry 'racism' in reaction to stereotypes. Why is a stereotypical Turk (or Hun) more offensive than a stereotypical Frenchman, for instance? A white comedian could do characters like stereotypical Germans, Scots, Italians, Russians, Americans, Australians and so on, but Asians and Africans are immediately flagged as racist. It's ridiculous. Or is the problem that the bad guys are portrayed as ugly and cruel? That's been happening for decades and it's never been a problem.

Comment

Originally posted by moomoo View Post
          Meh I think people call something racist too easily. Granted I haven't seen the film but I've noticed people tend to cry 'racism' in reaction to stereotypes. Why is a stereotypical Turk (or Hun) more offensive than a stereotypical Frenchman, for instance? A white comedian could do characters like stereotypical Germans, Scots, Italians, Russians, Americans, Australians and so on, but Asians and Africans are immediately flagged as racist. It's ridiculous. Or is the problem that the bad guys are portrayed as ugly and cruel? That's been happening for decades and it's never been a problem.
          Ja, I hear what you are saying, but in this movie it is really evident because the Huns are being cast opposite other Asian characters and so they should for all practical purposes look very similar.
          But where the main characters in Mulan are all pink skinned and white eyed, the Huns are portrayed as dark, ghoulish and all with yellow eyes.
          It couldn't be more obvious. They are distinctly inhuman and animalistic.

Comment

Originally posted by LazyGary View Post
            [ATTACH=CONFIG]4351[/ATTACH]

Um, those are the Huns.
            Mulan is set during the Han Dynasty in China.
            The Turks would not exist as a nation for another 400 - 600 years.

If you are referring to the Türk people (who have nothing to do with the Turks from Turkey) then you are also a little bit out of time.
            They only threw off their Ruruan rulers in the Sixth Century.
            Mulan is set in the time period 200 BC to 200 CE.

But yes... I did think that the depiction of the enemies in Mulan was a bit racist... now that you mention it.
            Türks are ancestors of Anatolian Turks today.
            Check your facts again, we're a sub-group of Huns. Türks a.k.a Göktürks (Celestial Türks) are our ancestors.
            http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Göktürks

Comment

Originally posted by LazyGary View Post
              Originally posted by moomoo View Post
              Ja, I hear what you are saying, but in this movie it is really evident because the Huns are being cast opposite other Asian characters and so they should for all practical purposes look very similar.
              But where the main characters in Mulan are all pink skinned and white eyed, the Huns are portrayed as dark, ghoulish and all with yellow eyes.
              It couldn't be more obvious. They are distinctly inhuman and animalistic.
              Did they ever show Germans as evil, looking like monstrous abominations in ww2 movies?
              Nope. Haven't seen any...
              Or French, Italian evil guys?
              Heck not even Russians were shown like that...

Then why show Turks, especially an important figure like Shan Yu (Mete Han in Turkish) like a Dremora ****ed with an Orsimer and had baby?

Comment

Did they ever show Germans as evil, looking like monstrous abominations in ww2 movies?
                Nope. Haven't seen any...
                Except they did in every single one.

Don't be a dumbass. You're getting mad over a fictionalized, vague, and simplified portrayal of a man who lived over 2000 years ago. In the movie, the character is a villain, and most cartoons portray the villains as villainous. Is it racist to middle-easterners because Jafar (Aladdin) exists? Racist towards the English because of Rattigan (The Great Mouse Detective)? Racist against the Italians because of Stromboli (Pinnochio)? Racist against Merpeople because of Ursula (The Little Mermaid)? No. Of course not. You feelings of nationalism are not spawned by the portrayal of the character, rather, your feelings for the portrayal of the character are spawned from your nationalism.

Comment

I don't really see what this has to do with nationalism... unless it's some kind of revenge thing.

Nationalism flows from an intense loyalty to and love for the fatherland.
                  It should be positive thing, not negative things.

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by Stingy View Post
                      Racist towards the English because of Rattigan (The Great Mouse Detective)?
                      Not to mention Ratcliffe in Pocahontas, easily one of the least likable Disney villains of all time and also based on a historical figure. And doesn't look quite human.

Comment

Working...
                      X