Clear All
  • Victoria
    Owner of GetLazy
    SPECIAL MEMBER
    Level 28 - Friend For Life
    • Apr 2007

Words of Wisdom from Bush: "We should've bombed Auschwitz"

http://www.breitbart.com/article.php?id ... _article=1

Yeah, good plan there Bush. That'll solve the problem... and finish killing off all those pesky Jews the Nazis couldn't get too still hangin' around in the camp while we're at it.
  • Vespasian
    SPECIAL MEMBER
    Level 27 - Little Pink Poster
    • Apr 2007

Re: Words of Wisdom from Bush: "We should've bombed Auschwitz"

Well, the American's bombed enough civilian targets, bombing Auschwitz may have done them some good.

Comment

• BingBang
      GETLAZY MEMBER
      Level 7 - Lazy Poster
      • May 2007

Americans weren't the only ones bombing civilian targets in the second world war. It was a combined effort by all of the allied forces. Let's not forget how many innocent civilians were killed by the Nazis when they ruthlessly bombed the British. Why the Hell are we using modern standards to judge the tactics used in a war that happened over 60 years ago? It was a different era with a different attitude.

As far as the bombing of Auschwitz goes, you have to realize that the camp was open for a number of years. Had this killing factory been destroyed, even in its mid-point, its operations would have ceased. Granted, the killing would have gone on somewhere else. Although I am not a firm Bush supporter, I do not believe, as Xizer does, that he intended to say we should have "finished off" the rest of the Jews by bombing this facility. In fact, by reading the entire article, I do not see how anyone would have gotten this impression.

Comment

• Vespasian
        SPECIAL MEMBER
        • Apr 2007

Originally posted by BingBang
        Americans weren't the only ones bombing civilian targets in the second world war. It was a combined effort by all of the allied forces. Let's not forget how many innocent civilians were killed by the Nazis when they ruthlessly bombed the British. Why the Hell are we using modern standards to judge the tactics used in a war that happened over 60 years ago? It was a different era with a different attitude.
        I'm not using modern standards. I'm just saying the American (and other Allied) bombing was caused an unnecessary amount of civilian casualties. And, their bombing was far more extensive than any by Germany or Japan, causing hundreds of thousands more civilian casualties. And just because the opposition does it, doesn't mean it is justified.

Then again, war is war.

Comment

• BingBang
          GETLAZY MEMBER
          Level 7 - Lazy Poster
          • May 2007

Originally posted by Vespasian

I'm not using modern standards. I'm just saying the American (and other Allied) bombing was caused an unnecessary amount of civilian casualties. And, their bombing was far more extensive than any by Germany or Japan, causing hundreds of thousands more civilian casualties. And just because the opposition does it, doesn't mean it is justified.

Then again, war is war.
          You're absolutely right. Killing is never justified. But the allies were desperate to win, no matter what.

I'm glad that they did.

Comment

• Ultra Magnus
            SPECIAL MEMBER
            Level 29 - Villain Number One
            • May 2007

Originally posted by BingBang
            As far as the bombing of Auschwitz goes, you have to realize that the camp was open for a number of years. Had this killing factory been destroyed, even in its mid-point, its operations would have ceased.
            That's the same logic that was applied to Hiroshima and Nagasaki.
            Many people, most notably the Japanese themselves, agree in retrospect that it was a sound tactic in that it probably saved many more lives than it took.
            Of course, a lot of people disagree.

As for what Xizer said, I'm pretty sure that's called sarcasm.

Comment

• Mr_Gazpacho
              SPECIAL MEMBER
              Level 24 - The Blue Elf
              • Jul 2007

Civilians=Factory workers=More tanks, bombs and airplanes for the enemy=Lots of dead guys on your side if you don't deal with them.
              It's not just the ones pointing the guns that are killing people, those making them are as well. The one simple rule of the total war.

Comment

• CmdrLuke
                SPECIAL MEMBER
                Level 23 - Pixel's Assistant
                • May 2007

That bloodthirsty Churchill should have just made a deal with Hitler instead of fighting the war.
                *raises flame shield*

Comment

• Vespasian
                  SPECIAL MEMBER
                  • Apr 2007

Originally posted by CmdrLuke
                  That bloodthirsty Churchill should have just made a deal with Hitler instead of fighting the war.
                  *raises flame shield*
                  Britain, France, their colonies and territories across the world and Poland were at war with Germany before Churchill even came into office. He would have been foolish to offer peace, which Hitler certainly would not have accepted.

And just what made him 'bloodthirsty?'

Comment

• Mr_Gazpacho
                    SPECIAL MEMBER
                    Level 24 - The Blue Elf
                    • Jul 2007

At times he considered using mustard gas. Period.

Comment

• Mr_Gazpacho
                      SPECIAL MEMBER
                      Level 24 - The Blue Elf
                      • Jul 2007

Originally posted by jobe9779
                      Originally posted by Mr_Gazpacho
                      At times he considered using mustard gas. Period.
                      I fail to see how considering to do something makes you bloodthirsty.

Much more humane than conventional arms.

Comment

• Mr_Gazpacho
                        SPECIAL MEMBER
                        Level 24 - The Blue Elf
                        • Jul 2007

Originally posted by Mr_Gazpacho
                        so you're saying actions and words are the same thing?
                        I'm saying that even thinking of putting a human through such misery instead of giving them the relief of a quick death through a bullet throught the head or a bomb going off right next to them sorta points away from the goodness part of the morale scale. Sure, there's a long way to the bottom, but with such arguments one could rid Adolf Hitler of all guilt, cause all he did was to say things.

Comment

• Ultra Magnus
                          SPECIAL MEMBER
                          Level 29 - Villain Number One
                          • May 2007

[quote=Mr_Gazpacho]
                          Originally posted by "Mr_Gazpacho":9ed68
                          so you're saying actions and words are the same thing?
                          I'm saying that even thinking of putting a human through such misery instead of giving them the relief of a quick death through a bullet throught the head or a bomb going off right next to them sorta points away from the goodness part of the morale scale. Sure, there's a long way to the bottom, but with such arguments one could rid Adolf Hitler of all guilt, cause all he did was to say things.[/quote:9ed68]
                          Bombs only go off right next to people who are standing in the exact right (or indeed wrong) place.

I think jobe's point is that considering something and deciding against it is clearly not as bad as doing it. And you seem to be claiming it is.
                          With such arguments one could argue that anyone who's ever been pissed off should be charged with assault, because we've all felt like punching someone now and then.

Comment

• Mr_Gazpacho
                            SPECIAL MEMBER
                            Level 24 - The Blue Elf
                            • Jul 2007

Originally posted by Ultra Magnus
                            I think jobe's point is that considering something and deciding against it is clearly not as bad as doing it. And you seem to be claiming it is.
                            With such arguments one could argue that anyone who's ever been pissed off should be charged with assault, because we've all felt like punching someone now and then.
                            I overargued my statement past an intended point of moderation.
                            Let us settle at some middle ground and say that thinking the thought is worse than not thinking the thought.
                            (As a sidenote, it wasn't him deciding against it, he had to be stopped by his staff.)

Comment

• wykinyan
                              GETLAZY MEMBER
                              Level 5 - Twenty Times Poster
                              • Oct 2007

Of course many people are going to dismiss the idea simply because President Bush said it. However, this is a debate that has been going on for over 50 years. I will also quickly add that the US could have bombed the rail lines that lead to Auschwitz without having to destroy the camp itself. Anyway, this is a pretty good if somewhat short overview of the debate.

http://www.britannica.com/eb/article...schwitz-bombed

Comment

Working...