• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • StingX
    ROTTEN MEMBER
    Level 35 - Rockin' Poster
    • Mar 2009

Can anybody help me?

I am not sure if my AVI codec is broken or what, but for atleast the last few days, everytime I try to watch an AVI file in any of my media players, it lags hard. It freezes for half a second or so every second. It's totally unwatchable. Considering that basically every video file on my computer is AVI, that's a problem eh? I wasn't having this problem a month ago, or even a few weeks ago and I have no idea what could have happened to change anything.

First off, can anybody confirm that this is a broken codec? Or can anybody give me the true diagnosis? And if it is the codec, can anybody give me a good place to find a new AVI codec? I seem to have forgotten where my old one came from T.T

Thanks
  • boredjedi
    Master
    SPECIAL MEMBER
    • Jun 2007

Re: Can anybody help me?

Well I don't know your system specs but first I would do a chkdsk on the drive then right after do a defrag on it. If it's still laggy then it could be a conflicting codec causing the problem.
    http://eighteenlightyearsago.ytmnd.com/

Comment

• PolarFox
      SPECIAL MEMBER
      Level 23 - Pixel's Assistant
      • Sep 2009

I'm always use k-lite codec pack - good and full :)

Comment

• StingX
        ROTTEN MEMBER
        • Mar 2009

Originally posted by PolarFox
        I'm always use k-lite codec pack - good and full :)
        What I'm using currently and have been using for like 2 years. Even reinstalled and it still is ****ing up.

Originally posted by boredjedi
        Well I don't know your system specs but first I would do a chkdsk on the drive then right after do a defrag on it. If it's still laggy then it could be a conflicting codec causing the problem.
        Did a checkdisk, but nothing seemed to come up. Defragging right now. We'll see what happens.

Update: Defragging done - nothing has changed. Running a virus scan, although I highly doubt that will do shit.

Update 2: One thing I didn't mention, is that I was playing these off of my external. They have always played there without issue. I copied a file on to my internal and it played like normal. WTF? Why could this be?

Comment

• Buzz
          Der Postmeister
          SPECIAL MEMBER
          Level 33 - New Superhero
          • Jan 2009

which player do you use?...I would recommend the VLC-player and when it sucks also then try to de-and reinstall your windows media player...removing the driver of your videocard completely is another option...search google for the lastest one and install it...when you are still in trouble after this then nothing left to you as to convert all your AVI files in WMV or something...
          Gallery

Comment

• Rowan
            Magic
            SPECIAL MEMBER
            Level 17 - Ghost Stopper
            • Nov 2009

Originally posted by Stingy
            Update 2: One thing I didn't mention, is that I was playing these off of my external. They have always played there without issue. I copied a file on to my internal and it played like normal. WTF? Why could this be?
            Oh, this has happened to me before! Recently it seems to be okay, but a couple of months after I got my external harddrive I couldn't play any music off it without it freezing and crap, which is bad because my entire music collection is on it. I don't know why it doesn't do that any more (not that I'm complaining) but I spoke to someone about it and they said that it's not a rare problem because you're not meant to run things of an external, it's just meant to be for storage. I don't really know what you can do about it or why that is even the case, though...

Comment

• StingX
              ROTTEN MEMBER
              • Mar 2009

Originally posted by Rowan
              I couldn't play any music off it without it freezing and crap
              I dunno....I can play music fine, and even watch SOME video on it. It only seems to be video with certain settings that it doesn't like...which makes no sense lol. I would totally put some of this shit on my internal if it was bigger than 127GB

Comment

• Rowan
                Magic
                SPECIAL MEMBER
                Level 17 - Ghost Stopper
                • Nov 2009

Originally posted by Stingy
                Originally posted by Rowan
                I couldn't play any music off it without it freezing and crap
                I dunno....I can play music fine, and even watch SOME video on it. It only seems to be video with certain settings that it doesn't like...which makes no sense lol. I would totally put some of this shit on my internal if it was bigger than 127GB
                Well, I'm not saying it has to be everything, because that was the same with me - some things worked and some didn't, I was just comparing experiences. I still don't know how to fix it though so I'm a bit useless. XD

Comment

• LazyPooky
                  ADMINISTRATOR
                  • Oct 2007

Originally posted by boredjedi
                  get a real OS
                  Magnús: - I have fans of all ages and I don't think it's weird when older people like LazyTown. LazyTown appeals to people for many different reasons: dancing, acrobatics, etc.

Comment

• PolarFox
                    SPECIAL MEMBER
                    Level 23 - Pixel's Assistant
                    • Sep 2009

Check the disk on errors.

And go to Control panel >>
                    Administration > something called like "event viewer" > in tab System (or Applications) see the errors (red x) , if you have a read/write errors from current disk - it's bad...
                    At least you need check the disk , by standard MS disk-o-checker

Comment

• StingX
                      ROTTEN MEMBER
                      • Mar 2009

Originally posted by PolarFox
                      And go to Control panel >>
                      Administration > something called like "event viewer" > in tab System (or Applications) see the errors (red x) , if you have a read/write errors from current disk - it's bad...
                      At least you need check the disk , by standard MS disk-o-checker
                      The event viewer doesn't seem to come up with anything, and I don't think dskchk can check externals. Unless I'm doing it wrong. I am however defragging the external right now.

Comment

• StingX
                        ROTTEN MEMBER
                        • Mar 2009

I think my problems may be solved. If the defragging doesn't work (and I doubt it will), I spoke to my father who is a comouter geek and he suggested that my external wasn't getting enough power. This seems very likely because about a month ago I bought a new keyboard which filled up the last remaining port. So after this defragging, I'm gonna try unplugging something USB and running the video. If it works, then I'll head my ass down to Office Depot to pick up a USB hub and win!

Comment

• ooozmin
                          Former moderator
                          SPECIAL MEMBER
                          Level 29 - Villain Number One
                          • May 2007

Your external runs off USB power only??? Yeah that might be it. Also I doubt it's a codec issue with the avi format, that would just be.....weird.

Comment

• StingX
                            ROTTEN MEMBER
                            • Mar 2009

Originally posted by ooozmin
                            Your external runs off USB power only??? Yeah that might be it. Also I doubt it's a codec issue with the avi format, that would just be.....weird.
                            Nah, it has an AC plug in too. Either way, problem solved now ;)

Comment

• boredjedi
                              Master
                              SPECIAL MEMBER
                              • Jun 2007

Speaking about problems. My power supply died caturday night. Been without my computer till last night. Got a 450 watt dell scrap from a friend of my nephew. It seems the rest of my system is okay didn't get hurt by the dying thing. Still under warranty a year left which is good. Think their programmers messed up because it wasn't suppose to do this until a week after the warranty was up :) The company OCZ is good though. None of that crappy repair looping they send you a complete new product but the warranty remains the same as the old one. Their rma process is slow though. Taken me two days to get the rma number for it which they sent last night.

Probably won't get the replacement for like two weeks if I'm lucky. Going to pick up a good backup one though next week so for now it's the 450 watts.
                              http://eighteenlightyearsago.ytmnd.com/

Comment

Working...