SPECIAL MEMBER
    Level 35 - Rockin' Poster
    • Jan 2010

Re: Military

Originally posted by Master Of Disguise
    Originally posted by Stingy
    Phone conversation
    lol, that was quick and kind of rude ^^
    Not really, no point going through all that rigmarole when the answer was going to be no.
    Getur einhver annar verið Glanni ? það bara passar ekki
    Stefan Karl Stefansson, það er enginn eins og þú!

Comment

• PrivateBrain
      GETLAZY MEMBER
      Level 12 - Lazy Scout
      • Dec 2011

Okay, here's a good excerpt from The Ultimate Basic Training Guidebook by Sgt. Michael Volkin.

For all intents and purposes, Marines are considered riflemen first. In basic training, they receive more marksmanship training than any other branch of service. Also, Marine basic training is longer than the other branches. The Marines have an incredible ability to convert their dollar power into combat power, as they do not have a big budget like the Air Force. If you're joining the military to be in on the action, the Marines might be the best choice for you.

The Army has the second-most intense basic training regimen. Three of the ten weeks of basic training are devoted to marksmanship. Soldiers in the Army have the ability to lead or defend against an assault. In the Army, a soldier can pick from literally hundreds of Military Occupational Specialties (MOS). The training that you receive from your MOS often transfers well into civilian jobs.

Comment

• LazyTownWW
        Moralist
        SPECIAL MEMBER
        Level 28 - Friend For Life
        • Jun 2009

Originally posted by PrivateBrain
        Okay, here's a good excerpt from The Ultimate Basic Training Guidebook by Sgt. Michael Volkin.

For all intents and purposes, Marines are considered riflemen first. In basic training, they receive more marksmanship training than any other branch of service. Also, Marine basic training is longer than the other branches. The Marines have an incredible ability to convert their dollar power into combat power, as they do not have a big budget like the Air Force. If you're joining the military to be in on the action, the Marines might be the best choice for you.

The Army has the second-most intense basic training regimen. Three of the ten weeks of basic training are devoted to marksmanship. Soldiers in the Army have the ability to lead or defend against an assault. In the Army, a soldier can pick from literally hundreds of Military Occupational Specialties (MOS). The training that you receive from your MOS often transfers well into civilian jobs.
        Cool, thanks :)

Comment

• Master Of Disguise
          SPECIAL MEMBER
          Level 16 - Sportaposter
          • Oct 2011

How is it going with the military thing btw ? officially in ? waiting for some kind of approval ? or still thinking about it ? :)

Comment

• PrivateBrain
            GETLAZY MEMBER
            Level 12 - Lazy Scout
            • Dec 2011

How is it going with the military thing btw ? officially in ? waiting for some kind of approval ? or still thinking about it ? :)
            Toward the end of August, I had known that a high school friend of mine joined the National Guard, and what he was saying about it inspired me to want to join as well.

My parents wanted me to look into other branches, and I ended up going on active duty in the Army.

The enlistment process was long and boring, but it was all worth it when my recruiter said that I'm officially on the team and shook my hand.

On March 13, 2012, I ship out to Fort Jackson for Basic Combat Training.

In the meantime, I'm doing a lot of planning and preparation and doing what I can to make myself happy.

Comment

• Master Of Disguise
              SPECIAL MEMBER
              Level 16 - Sportaposter
              • Oct 2011

On March 13, 2012, I ship out to Fort Jackson for Basic Combat Training
              Good luck :)

Comment

• PrivateBrain
                GETLAZY MEMBER
                Level 12 - Lazy Scout
                • Dec 2011

Good luck :)
                Thanks. Occasionally, I get nervous just thinking about BCT, but then I remind myself that I've just got to tough it out the best I can.

My recruiter said that he thought it was fun, and that the drill sergeants aren't quite like Gunnery Sergeant Hartman, so it shouldn't be so bad.

Oh, and he said that I can't wear on any dog tags with pictures of my favorite actress. I can do things like that after my training, though. :)

Comment

• Master Of Disguise
                  SPECIAL MEMBER
                  Level 16 - Sportaposter
                  • Oct 2011

Oh, and he said that I can't wear on any dog tags with pictures of my favorite actress. I can do things like that after my training, though. :)
                  Took me a while to realise what you meant lol too bad ^^

Comment

• PrivateBrain
                    GETLAZY MEMBER
                    Level 12 - Lazy Scout
                    • Dec 2011

Is it true that women like a man in a uniform?

I know that I like it whenever I see a woman in the new ACU with digital camo.

I just don't think that women get enough representation in the military.

Comment

• StingX
                      ROTTEN MEMBER
                      Level 35 - Rockin' Poster
                      • Mar 2009

I was working the box office yesterday and was feeling particularly generous considering it was Christmas and all.
                      I was letting minors in to movies, passing people in for questionable reasons, all that good stuff. We don't have a military discount, but when a woman asked if we did, I told her that no we didn't, but I'd charge her a senior rate, which is 3 dollars less. She was quite happy and tipped me the 3 dollar difference. GG.

Comment

• PrivateBrain
                        GETLAZY MEMBER
                        Level 12 - Lazy Scout
                        • Dec 2011

Originally posted by Stingy
                        I was working the box office yesterday and was feeling particularly generous considering it was Christmas and all.

I was letting minors in to movies, passing people in for questionable reasons, all that good stuff. We don't have a military discount, but when a woman asked if we did, I told her that no we didn't, but I'd charge her a senior rate, which is 3 dollars less. She was quite happy and tipped me the 3 dollar difference. GG.
                        That really is a cool story, bro.

So far, I just remember walking into the Army recruiting office, seeing a woman in an ACU sitting in one of the chairs, saying "Hello," and shaking her hand.

More recently, there was another time when I was walking in the mall when I saw a redheaded woman in an ACU walking with who I'd think was a friend or family member. The mall was packed, so I couldn't do anything but marvel while I was walking.

Comment

• PrivateBrain
                          GETLAZY MEMBER
                          Level 12 - Lazy Scout
                          • Dec 2011

I forgot to address this.

Originally posted by Lazycus
                          Drill Sergeant, yes, Drill Sergeant! ...?
                          The instructors in Army Basic wouldn't want their recruits to begin and end with the way they're addressed.

You just say what you have to say and end with "Drill Sergeant!"

Comment

• Lazycus
                            Master of Shoops
                            SPECIAL MEMBER
                            Level 24 - The Blue Elf
                            • Nov 2007

Actually, I'm wondering: Your country is stuck in two - äh... - not-so-blitzy campaigns and is prepearing to raid on yet another country. Is this really a good time to join the Army?

Comment

• PrivateBrain
                              GETLAZY MEMBER
                              Level 12 - Lazy Scout
                              • Dec 2011

Originally posted by Lazycus
                              Actually, I'm wondering: Your country is stuck in two - äh... - not-so-blitzy campaigns and is prepearing to raid on yet another country. Is this really a good time to join the Army?
                              Here's a video of two angry camels in a tiny car. Your argument is invalid.

[youtube]brdkeccSJPw[/youtube]

Edit:

I really don't want to discuss religion or politics, because those are contentious topics.

Comment

• Lazycus
                                Master of Shoops
                                SPECIAL MEMBER
                                Level 24 - The Blue Elf
                                • Nov 2007

That was no argument, it was a question. I apologize for the lack of euphemisms.
                                You must do what you feel is right, of course.

Comment

Working...