• Show
Clear All
  • Stevilito
    SPECIAL MEMBER
    Level 21 - Poster By The Book
    • Apr 2007

New Earth?????

Sister Earth Found 20 Light Years Away

The astronomy world is buzzing with excitement after a distant Earth-like planet that may be home to life forms far more advanced than humans was discovered.

The new world is 20.5 light years away - so far it would take astronauts almost five billion years to reach it in the fastest spaceship available now.
    Gliese 581c is not much bigger than our own planet and is thought to be in the 'habitable zone' of the star it orbits. This means it would be the right temperature to allow liquid water on its surface - considered a must for supporting life as we know it.

"On the treasure map of the Universe, one would be tempted to mark this planet with an X," said Xavier Delfosse, a member of the European discovery team.
    Rivers, lakes, oceans and rocky regions may all exist on Gliese 581c.
    And alien life forms could have years of evolutionary advantage on us as its ancient star may have supported life for longer.
    Gliese 581c is 14 times closer to its parent star than the Earth is to the Sun, meaning the pull of gravity is much stronger.

A person weighing weighing 10 stone (63.5kg) on Earth would weigh 16 stone (102kg) on the distant planet.

Despite its proximity to the star, Gliese 581c is not burning hot, as it orbits a low energy red dwarf.

The planet is bathed in a dim red light but one side of it may remain in permanent darkness as astronomers are unsure if it rotates.

Gliese 581c will be a key target for future space missions and by 2020 scientists hope to have sent powerful telescopes to search out signs of extra-terrestrial life.
    :: Despite the 13-year wait for more detail, bookmakers William Hill have slashed the odds regarding the existence of intelligent extra-terrestrial life from 1000/1 to 100/1.

w00t other life form hopefully, what do you guys think
  • Sir Finkus
    SPECIAL MEMBER
    Level 19 - Secret Friend
    • Apr 2007

Re: New Earth?????

I think it really was only a matter of time, considering the vastness of the universe. I am surprised that its as close as it is though.

:edit: it needs a better name NOW

Comment

• Stevilito
      SPECIAL MEMBER
      • Apr 2007

did ya know interesting fact it would take 20 years if we was to message them and 2 0 years for them to send it back

can ya imagine

Earth: HI
      .. 20 years later

Earth 2: Hello

20 years later

Earth: this long ditance callign takes forever

LMAO

Comment

• Stevilito
        SPECIAL MEMBER
        • Apr 2007

knowing you CJ you would ban an alien......then agian if their nice lookign enough ALL RIGHT

Comment

• Zafa
          SPECIAL MEMBER
          Level 28 - Friend For Life
          • Apr 2007

Originally posted by CJVercetti
          Sweet. I'm gonna bang me an alien
          What about Kristan?

Comment

• BlackPaint
            GETLAZY MEMBER
            Level 9 - Energy Poster
            • Apr 2007

I've always sort of felt that searching for alien life is kind of frivolous. Until we defy all conventional laws of physics and somehow go faster than the speed of light, it's kind of impractical to care about distant planets. Even if we went as fast as conventional physics ideas allow... It would still take around 20 years to get there, and we don't even know how to get up anywhere near those speeds anyways.

Comment

• Vespasian
              SPECIAL MEMBER
              Level 27 - Little Pink Poster
              • Apr 2007

Re: New Earth?????

Originally posted by Stevilito
              Sister Earth Found 20 Light Years Away

The astronomy world is buzzing with excitement after a distant Earth-like planet that may be home to life forms far more advanced than humans was discovered.

The new world is 20.5 light years away - so far it would take astronauts almost five billion years to reach it in the fastest spaceship available now.
              Gliese 581c is not much bigger than our own planet and is thought to be in the 'habitable zone' of the star it orbits. This means it would be the right temperature to allow liquid water on its surface - considered a must for supporting life as we know it.

"On the treasure map of the Universe, one would be tempted to mark this planet with an X," said Xavier Delfosse, a member of the European discovery team.
              Rivers, lakes, oceans and rocky regions may all exist on Gliese 581c.
              And alien life forms could have years of evolutionary advantage on us as its ancient star may have supported life for longer.
              Gliese 581c is 14 times closer to its parent star than the Earth is to the Sun, meaning the pull of gravity is much stronger.

A person weighing weighing 10 stone (63.5kg) on Earth would weigh 16 stone (102kg) on the distant planet.

Despite its proximity to the star, Gliese 581c is not burning hot, as it orbits a low energy red dwarf.

The planet is bathed in a dim red light but one side of it may remain in permanent darkness as astronomers are unsure if it rotates.

Gliese 581c will be a key target for future space missions and by 2020 scientists hope to have sent powerful telescopes to search out signs of extra-terrestrial life.
              :: Despite the 13-year wait for more detail, bookmakers William Hill have slashed the odds regarding the existence of intelligent extra-terrestrial life from 1000/1 to 100/1.

w00t other life form hopefully, what do you guys think
              Pics or it didn't happen. :)

Comment

• Stevilito
                SPECIAL MEMBER
                • Apr 2007

well suppsoedly the people in chile who found it cant see it becuse telescope isnt strong enough they just know its there lol

Comment

• moomoo
                  Trixie's ToyBoy
                  SPECIAL MEMBER
                  • Apr 2007

So now they're already talking about life forms much more advanced than humans? I thought all they found was a planet where the temperature was okay for water to be liquid. As far as I know they haven't even found water yet, let alone any life.

Still, it's all pointless unless we(or THEY o_o) have a way of getting there fast. They'd better start looking for a wormhole to surf through.

Comment

• Vespasian
                    SPECIAL MEMBER
                    • Apr 2007

Originally posted by moomoo
                    So now they're already talking about life forms much more advanced than humans? I thought all they found was a planet where the temperature was okay for water to be liquid. As far as I know they haven't even found water yet, let alone any life.

Still, it's all pointless unless we(or THEY o_o) have a way of getting there fast. They'd better start looking for a wormhole to surf through.
                    Well to travel beyond the speed of light is never going to be achieved soon that's for sure.

I think the breakthrough here is that scientists have found an earthlike planet itself, not the possibilty of extra terrestrial life on it. It proves that planets of similar conditions to ours are existant - which is a hell of a breakthrough.

Comment

• Alaylith
                      GETLAZY MEMBER
                      Level 11 - The Blue Knight
                      • Apr 2007

Originally posted by Vespasian
                      It proves that planets of similar conditions to ours are existant - which is a hell of a breakthrough.
                      Why is it a breaktrough?
                      I think it's stupid to believe that this planet is unique in such a big big universe. :/ I am sure there are several similar or better planets out there. And when there is living on them - why should they care about us?

Sometimes humans are so arrogant. XD

Comment

• cicley_lost_his_pass
                        GETLAZY MEMBER
                        Level 9 - Energy Poster
                        • Apr 2007

dibs

Comment

• moomoo
                          Trixie's ToyBoy
                          SPECIAL MEMBER
                          • Apr 2007

Originally posted by Alaylith
                          It proves that planets of similar conditions to ours are existant - which is a hell of a breakthrough.
                          Why is it a breaktrough?
                          I think it's stupid to believe that this planet is unique in such a big big universe. :/ I am sure there are several similar or better planets out there. And when there is living on them - why should they care about us?

Well, I guess the breakthrough is that they were able to prove what most people already knew. Like a few weeks back some scientists were able to prove that Einstein's theory of relativity was correct. Or something.

Comment

• CarbonXe
                            GETLAZY MEMBER
                            Level 11 - The Blue Knight
                            • Apr 2007

I still don't understand why they obsess so much over finding water on other planets or moons. Just because life on Earth needs water, doesn't mean life on another planet needs it.

Comment

• Vespasian
                              SPECIAL MEMBER
                              • Apr 2007

Originally posted by Alaylith
                              Why is it a breaktrough?

My friend, it is a breakthrough because no such conditions have ever been found before - at all. It is not to say that they do not exist, but that we had no real evidence of them. I don't think any human being, no matter how biased or deranged could possibly think we are the sole existance in this universe.

Originally posted by CarbonXe
                              I still don't understand why they obsess so much over finding water on other planets or moons. Just because life on Earth needs water, doesn't mean life on another planet needs it.
                              Well considering it is the only known substance known to procure life (other than oxygen of course) I think you would understand it is vital - though it's a resonable point you make, life outside what we know it could rely on other elements - ones we can scarely begin to understand. Humans know nothing near the complete picture here, you have to consider that.

Comment

Working...