• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • kelly
    SPECIAL MEMBER
    Level 19 - Secret Friend
    • Apr 2007

Language question

Anybody know enough Icelandic to tell me if a) ??r?ta?lfurinn (as a word/name) is gendered and b) what the feminine would be if it is and it's possible to feminise?

Thanks.
  • EdisLeado
    Founder of GetLazy
    SPECIAL MEMBER
    Level 15 - The Baby Troll
    • Apr 2007

well, it translates to sports elf directly, doesn't it? I think we all probably already know that. but if you ask me, it's not gendered.
    sigpic

Comment

• kelly
      SPECIAL MEMBER
      Level 19 - Secret Friend
      • Apr 2007

I'm perfectly aware of what it means, but this is a language where the name of the town changes depending on what part of speech it's used as (Latibaer/Latabae), and in most languages I know anything about pretty much everything is gendered. I don't think you can apply English's grammatical logic to another language (i.e. 'sports elf' is gender neutral, ergo '??r?ta?lfurinn' must be also), even if both are in the Germanic family.
      I did some poking around in a Icelandic dictionary (had to sign up for a free 15 day trial of a pay one to get one that helped), and it claims that '?lfur' (which seems to be the bit that means 'elf') is masculine. Doesn't help much with finding a reasonably grammatical feminine, though.

Comment

• M_B
        GETLAZY MEMBER
        Level 12 - Lazy Scout
        • Apr 2007

Well, Icelandic is a language of direct Nordic decent, which means it most likely doesn't have feminine or masculine parallel word(in other words unisex).

Originally posted by kelly
        I'm perfectly aware of what it means, but this is a language where the name of the town changes depending on what part of speech it's used as (Latibaer/Latabae), and in most languages I know anything about pretty much everything is gendered. I don't think you can apply English's grammatical logic to another language (i.e. 'sports elf' is gender neutral, ergo '??r?ta?lfurinn' must be also), even if both are in the Germanic family.
        I did some poking around in a Icelandic dictionary (had to sign up for a free 15 day trial of a pay one to get one that helped), and it claims that '?lfur' (which seems to be the bit that means 'elf') is masculine. Doesn't help much with finding a reasonably grammatical feminine, though.
        Latibaer is the name for the play, and Latabae is the name of the show.

Comment

Working...