• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Stevilito
    SPECIAL MEMBER
    Level 21 - Poster By The Book
    • Apr 2007

MANHUNT 2 BANNED

British censors have banned a violent video game from the UK for the first time in a decade.

The video game Manhunt 2 was rejected for its "unrelenting focus on stalking and brutal slaying", the British Board of Film Classification said.

It means the Manhunt sequel cannot be legally supplied anywhere in the UK.

The parents of a Leicester schoolboy who blamed the original game for the murder of their 14-year-old son said they were "absolutely elated".

There is sustained and cumulative casual sadism in the way in which these killings are committed
    BBFC director David Cooke

The original Manhunt game was given an 18 classification in 2003.

Manhunt 2, for PS2 and Nintendo Wii consoles, is made by Rockstar Games.

The company has six weeks to submit an appeal.

The last game to be refused classification was Carmageddon in 1997. That decision was overturned on appeal.

David Cooke, director of the BBFC, said: "Manhunt 2 is distinguishable from recent high-end video games by its unremitting bleakness and callousness of tone.

"There is sustained and cumulative casual sadism in the way in which these killings are committed, and encouraged, in the game."

'Morally irresponsible'

The original Manhunt game caused huge controversy and was blamed for the murder of Stefan Pakeerah.

The boy was stabbed and beaten to death in Leicester in February 2004.

Stefan Pakeerah
    Stefan Pakeerah was murdered in 2004

His parents believe the killer, Warren LeBlanc, 17, was inspired by the game.

Stefan's mother, Giselle Pakeerah, had condemned the sequel, branding the gaming industry "morally irresponsible".

"We have been campaigning against these games for a long time and the BBFC made the right decision," she said.

Police said robbery was the motive behind the attack on Stefan in Stokes Wood Park on 26 February 2004 - and not the video game blamed by Stefan's parents.

Manhunt's maker Rockstar North has always insisted its games are geared towards mature audiences and are marketed responsibly.

Leicester MP Keith Vaz, who campaigned with the Pakeerahs against the original version of Manhunt, praised the decision to ban Manhunt 2.

He said: "This is an excellent decision by the British Board of Film Classification, showing that game publishers cannot expect to get interactive games where players take the part of killers engaged in 'casual sadism' and murder."

it has now also been banned in the US

and since sony and nintendo dont do AO games it is unlikely this game wil ever bee seen unless appeals get turned, i doubt they will in UK
    Yes
    0.00%
    No
    100.00%
  • Stevilito
    SPECIAL MEMBER
    • Apr 2007

my bad sorry i misread my own poll lol i emant to put no

Comment

• Ultra Magnus
      SPECIAL MEMBER
      Level 29 - Villain Number One
      • May 2007

Casual sadism.

They tried to ban the first one after that murder, but it didn't stick.

Originally posted by Stevilito
      The original Manhunt game caused huge controversy and was blamed for the murder of Stefan Pakeerah.

The boy was stabbed and beaten to death in Leicester in February 2004.

Stefan Pakeerah
      Stefan Pakeerah was murdered in 2004
      Okay, Rain Man, we get the idea. ;)

Comment

• Zafa
        SPECIAL MEMBER
        Level 28 - Friend For Life
        • Apr 2007

Glad to see someone is smart and banned it, you know Video games is responsible for 95% of anything bad ever happening?? From Getting gum stuck in your hair to murder, yep it's video games fault. The other 5% is from wolves. About time they started banning video games, I know this kid name Justin, that I played Halo with on the xbox live, that kid is crazy, I can see him robbing lemonade stands and yard sales. Why do we even have video games? They don't help you at all, they just make it hard for you in life. Gamers should get a job and a real life and go outside and do coke off a hooker. Now hookers on the other side are responsible for 95% of anything good ever happening. From getting that Christmas bonus to a fat guy falling down some stairs. The other 5% is from wolves. So I suggest to all the gamers on this forum, to get outside, stop wasting your life, start a fight club, and smash your Playstation.

Comment

• Ultra Magnus
          SPECIAL MEMBER
          Level 29 - Villain Number One
          • May 2007

If wolves are responsible for 5% good and 5% bad, then they cancel each other out.

Therefore, wovles don't exist.

Ickso fatso.

Comment

• Zafa
            SPECIAL MEMBER
            • Apr 2007

Originally posted by Ultra Magnus
            If wolves are responsible for 5% good and 5% bad, then they cancel each other out.

Therefore, wovles don't exist.

Ickso fatso.
            Exactly, you're pretty smart, you must not play video games

Comment

• ForGreatJustin
              Former Moderator
              SPECIAL MEMBER
              • Apr 2007

Does your Gov't really think everyone there is so unstable that after playing a violent video game yall will start to kill each other?

This whole thing is just a scapegoat for people that are just homicidal maniacs and something for politicians to talk about when they don't have anything important to say.

Comment

• Mosheddy
                SPECIAL MEMBER
                Level 23 - Pixel's Assistant
                • Apr 2007

I voted "yes" to this game being bant, cause bant games get more publicity =)

Comment

• Zafa
                  SPECIAL MEMBER
                  • Apr 2007

Originally posted by CJVercetti
                  Video Games are the devil. They make me want to kill people, they also train me in ways to kill people. For instance, if I wanted to kill Zafa, all I'd have to do would be to push up on the D-pad, come up behind him, and hit square. Then I could just tap L2 and hide in a box.
                  IDDQD

*Doom Ref*

I liked your MGS ref CJ

Comment

• nindanjoe
                    Former Moderator
                    SPECIAL MEMBER
                    Level 27 - Little Pink Poster
                    • Apr 2007

As many people say, it's supposed to be up to the parents. If you're a parent, no one should be making that decision for you. I watched "This Film is Not Yet Rated" recently, and I was thinking how this game banning is similar in the "we know what's best for you" kind of thing.

Comment

• BlackPaint
                      GETLAZY MEMBER
                      Level 9 - Energy Poster
                      • Apr 2007

Manhunt sucked... Manhunt 2 wouldn't get any attention at all if not for these bans. Seriously, I really want to play the game now just to see what the hell is causing all this controversy. If it wasn't so controversial I'd avoid it simply because Manhunt was crap.

Comment

• Zafa
                        SPECIAL MEMBER
                        • Apr 2007

Originally posted by BlackPaint
                        Manhunt sucked... Manhunt 2 wouldn't get any attention at all if not for these bans. Seriously, I really want to play the game now just to see what the hell is causing all this controversy. If it wasn't so controversial I'd avoid it simply because Manhunt was crap.
                        That is a... very good point

Comment

• Howard the Duck
                          SPECIAL MEMBER
                          Level 15 - The Baby Troll
                          • Apr 2007

I suck at video games, but I play them anyway.
                          I'm fine at some Smash Bros, though. Come on BRAWL

Comment

• Vespasian
                            SPECIAL MEMBER
                            Level 27 - Little Pink Poster
                            • Apr 2007

Personally, I wouldn't say anything about it without having played it myself. But a person has to be mentally deranged to murder someone, and blaming it on video games is just a sad, stupid way of getting unjust revenge.

Comment

• Stevilito
                              SPECIAL MEMBER
                              • Apr 2007

Originally posted by Vespasian
                              Personally, I wouldn't say anything about it without having played it myself. But a person has to be mentally deranged to murder someone, and blaming it on video games is just a sad, stupid way of getting unjust revenge.
                              well said thats my point exactly

manhunt 1 was aweosme but sadly i never completed it lol

its got banned i think because on the wii version you act out th killings, so if you saw of someones head then your doing the sawing action

Comment

Working...