• Show
Clear All
  • lazy_airship
    GETLAZY MEMBER
    Level 8 - Treehouse Builder
    • Apr 2007

Dont fall into the trap...

Pirate Trap Set by MPAA

The MPAA has set up a decoy website aimed at snagging pirates, according to the website blorge.com (whose motto is "technology with attitude"). According to the website, Media Defender, operating on behalf of the MPAA, has set up a site dubbed MiiVi.com that offers "fast and easy video downloading all in one great site" including software that it says speeds up the downloading process. However, according to blorge.com, the software actually searches the computer for other copyrighted files and sends the information back to Media Defender.

-- i took that of IMDB.com
  • Zokita
    SPECIAL MEMBER
    Level 27 - Little Pink Poster
    • Apr 2007

MiiVi?

I bet Nintendo wanted that URL.

That's rather sneaky, but not unexpected. The MPAA is rather...uptight. They threatened to sue websites for using their copyrighted rating scale (G, PG, PG-13, R, NC-17) on pieces of fiction without their permission.

Comment

• Vespasian
      SPECIAL MEMBER
      Level 27 - Little Pink Poster
      • Apr 2007

Re: Dont fall into the trap...

Originally posted by lazy_airship
      Pirate Trap Set by MPAA

The MPAA has set up a decoy website aimed at snagging pirates, according to the website blorge.com (whose motto is "technology with attitude"). According to the website, Media Defender, operating on behalf of the MPAA, has set up a site dubbed MiiVi.com that offers "fast and easy video downloading all in one great site" including software that it says speeds up the downloading process. However, according to blorge.com, the software actually searches the computer for other copyrighted files and sends the information back to Media Defender.

Oh good, I'll pirate my movies and games somewhere else.

Comment

• CmdrLuke
        SPECIAL MEMBER
        Level 23 - Pixel's Assistant
        • May 2007

Re: Dont fall into the trap...

Originally posted by Vespasian
        Originally posted by lazy_airship
        Pirate Trap Set by MPAA

Oh good, I'll pirate my movies and games somewhere else.
        THEN YOU JUST FELL FOR THE TRAP

Comment

Working...