File and Downloading Problems (Troubleshooting - RAR, etc)

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • nindanjoe
    Former Moderator
    SPECIAL MEMBER
    Level 27 - Little Pink Poster
    • Apr 2007

File and Downloading Problems (Troubleshooting - RAR, etc)

Got downloading problems? That RAR file not working or asking for something? Here's a list of potential solutions:

WinRAR (.rar and related) problems:

1) File extesions information. You'll see a .rar file and you will see .r01, .r02, and so on. WinRAR can open these files. I recommend using the Open With... option for .r01, it'll ask which program to open with, from there you can browse to WinRAR. Note: There are other programs that can open .rar files.

2) Make sure you downloaded all parts of the files into the same directory or folder. Let's use that Sportafake episode as an example again. There are 4 parts, make sure you download all 4 parts to a folder. All 4 files must be present in order to extract the file inside.

3) Make sure you downloaded the entire file. Check the file size of the parts you download. Are they the same size as the one listed at the download site? Using the Sportafake episode again, are the first 3 parts about 99MB? Is the 4th part the same file size shown at the website?

3a) Common error messages include wrong password, bad file name, or incomplete file. Use the checklist to verify or correct either of these.

4) So you saw that the file sizes are the same? You got a corrupt file. How do you know which one? Ask the poster for the checksum, CRC or MD5. These are like a fingerprint for the file, it makes sure you have the same file as the one uploaded. I recommend using a program like MD5Summer to make or verify an MD5.

Downloading problems:

1) So you keep downloading the file and it still messes up? Either the upload is messed up or there's something fishy going on. Mediafire misses the last few bytes in Firefox for me resulting in an unfinished file. In this case, I recommend using a download manager which usually makes sure you get the entire file. Free Download Manager is both free and pretty good, found here: http://www.freedownloadmanager.org/ . The only problem is that it can't resume with Mediafire. Warning: Not all download managers are compatible with all sites.

2) Sometimes the link is just dead, usually it'll get fixed. I recommend posting about that so people can be warned and a mirror can go up if needed.

Post any other problems here since it will add to this list and someone might be able to help you. Hopefully these will help you get started in fixing your problems.

*There are some recommended guidelines when asking for help. Describe the problem as in much detail as you can. Take any screenshots if possible; Alt+Print Screen can help with that. :)

EDIT: Updated!
    *Thanks to Ultra Magnus for Nindanjoe.sigpic
  • nindanjoe
    Former Moderator
    SPECIAL MEMBER
    Level 27 - Little Pink Poster
    • Apr 2007

Re: File and Downloading Problems (Troubleshooting)

Originally posted by notorious
    an addendum:

Any and all Mac related issues can be directed to me, I'm sure I can help you out
    I concur. I keep forgetting about non-Windows users.
    *Thanks to Ultra Magnus for Nindanjoe.sigpic

Comment

Working...