• Show
Clear All
  • Victoria
    Owner of GetLazy
    SPECIAL MEMBER
    Level 28 - Friend For Life
    • Apr 2007

How-to: Play Shit

Okay, we seem to be getting a lot of people who don't understand how to play Matroska Video, multiple audio tracks, and whatnot, so here's how to do it.

To play these files in any media players you already have, like Windows Media Player, simply download the Combined Community Codec Pack, from here.

This installs basically every codec for audio and video under the sun. You can play shit like FLAC, MKV, MP4, and whatnot. There's also some excellent programs out there that are compatible with a huge range of video and audio formats... I recommend VLC media player, which can be downloaded here.

Another excellent program is called BS.Player. However, keep in mind that the free version of this program contains spyware! So unless you pay for it, or obtain it through other means ;) then you should stick with VLC media player. I really like BS.Player Pro though. The website for BS.Player is here.

• Zokita
    SPECIAL MEMBER
    Level 27 - Little Pink Poster
    • Apr 2007

Huh? There's a version of VLC for Mac OS X on that page...do you have an older computer, or is the Mac version not as good? Or are you talking about the other links?
    I seriously need a new sig. Will try Photoshop later.

Comment

• Victoria
      Owner of GetLazy
      SPECIAL MEMBER
      • Apr 2007

Originally posted by notoriousmdc
      Originally posted by Zokita
      Huh? There's a version of VLC for Mac OS X on that page...do you have an older computer, or is the Mac version not as good? Or are you talking about the other links?
      The Mac version of VLC crashes on my machine >_< It starts to open the video and then crashes hard. I tried it with multiple videos and assorted other fixes, but it still does the same. Ditto for Mplayer, which never ever worked for me...

I run Mac OS 10.3.9, so it shouldn't do that... should it?
      You run Mac OS 10.3.9 and you're wondering why programs are not working right for you? Simple answer: Macs suck.

Comment

• Victoria
        Owner of GetLazy
        SPECIAL MEMBER
        • Apr 2007

[quote=notoriousmdc][quote=CJVercetti]
        Originally posted by CJVercetti
        Originally posted by "CJVercetti":e7ca0
        Originally posted by "notoriousmdc":e7ca0
        That's ok, we were here first, and we'll be here when you're gone.
        Actually -- you weren't here first. The Altair predates Macs, these ran on a programming language, Altair BASIC, created by *fanfare* Bill Gates and Paul Allen.
        I was referring to the point-click interface that was STOLEN by *fanfare* Bill Gates and Paul Allen.

If you want to go old-school, let's bring up the Cray Supercomputer lol
        You mean the GUI right? As in the one Steve Jobs stole from Xerox? Bill didn't steal the GUI, Jobs handed it to him on a beige platter.

Also, a good part of your precious Apple Computers is owned by Microsoft.
        That's cause you need us.

Anti-trust lawsuit anyone?
        Thats "cause" Steve Jobs is a smelly ex-hippie who doesn't know how to run a company. I mean, come on, he was fired from the company he made![/quote:e7ca0]

We could go back and forth for days, apparently, so let's not lol

Let's agree to disagree.

*Lifetime moment*[/quote:e7ca0]

I wonder how many quote boxes I can make

Comment

• kelly
          SPECIAL MEMBER
          Level 19 - Secret Friend
          • Apr 2007

Linux is better than both of you put together!

/argumentative
          (don't really mean that, I hate that the net won't work on Windows on our PC)

Comment

• Sir Finkus
            SPECIAL MEMBER
            Level 19 - Secret Friend
            • Apr 2007

Holy crap people! Calm down, its just an OS
            WWJD
            What Would Julianna Do (if she read your post)

Comment

• Victoria
              Owner of GetLazy
              SPECIAL MEMBER
              • Apr 2007

Macs are pretty childish imo. Everything has to have a "simple" interface. More than one mouse button? Too complex! There's got to be huge icons everywhere. Everything has to be proprietary.

If you ever want to do something even slightly advanced, you're going to be spending a ton of time just trying to find the damn option because everything has been oversimplified. Sometimes, you might not even be able to do what you want to do, because Macs are geared toward a less technologically apt crowd.

Comment

• M_B
                GETLAZY MEMBER
                Level 12 - Lazy Scout
                • Apr 2007

For the VHQ videos(.MKV format):

You guys need an .AC3 codec, a .MKV splitter, and an .MKV player. Simply googling .MKV and .AC3 will take you to each, but here are links.

.AC3 codec - http://www.free-codecs.com/download/AC3_Filter.htm
                .MKV codec - http://www.cccp-project.net/
                .KV/.MKA player- http://www.matroska.org/downloads/windows.html I reccomend media player classic, I use it.
                That's basically how y'do it. I believe there's a thread for this, but I thought this would make it easier for you guys. It's easier than just having to convert the file, and there's no quality loss.

Comment

• Coderjoe
                  GETLAZY MEMBER
                  Level 5 - Twenty Times Poster
                  • Apr 2007

Originally posted by M_B

You guys need an .AC3 codec, a .MKV splitter, and an .MKV player. Simply googling .MKV and .AC3 will take you to each, but here are links.

.KV/.MKA player- http://www.matroska.org/downloads/windows.html I reccomend media player classic, I use it.
                  That's basically how y'do it. I believe there's a thread for this, but I thought this would make it easier for you guys. It's easier than just having to convert the file, and there's no quality loss.
                  All you need is the Combined Community Codec Pack. It has all the codecs and splitters, and a couple of players, that you need, with zero spyware crap.

(you sure spammed this post everywhere, didn't you?)

Comment

• M_B
                    GETLAZY MEMBER
                    Level 12 - Lazy Scout
                    • Apr 2007

Originally posted by Coderjoe
                    Originally posted by M_B

All you need is the Combined Community Codec Pack. It has all the codecs and splitters, and a couple of players, that you need, with zero spyware crap.

(you sure spammed this post everywhere, didn't you?)
                    (only posts where it was necessary)

I could only get it to work in the Matroska Media Player Classic, to be honest. I tried it in DivX, WMP, Intervideo, even WinAMP, nothin'.

Comment

• ForGreatJustin
                      Former Moderator
                      SPECIAL MEMBER
                      • Apr 2007

Okay, I played .MKV and .AVI files and I started getting really bad ripping in the top right corner.
                      It does not effect WMA files, and it only does it on XP and not on my copy of Vista.

Whenever I deleted the Community Codec the tearing stopped, but now I can't play MKV files anymore.

I tried converting them but they turn out horrible looking.
                      So could someone maybe convert them and host them on here, or better yet help me fix this problem?

Comment

• Coderjoe
                        GETLAZY MEMBER
                        Level 5 - Twenty Times Poster
                        • Apr 2007

Originally posted by Sportajustin
                        Okay, I played .MKV and .AVI files and I started getting really bad ripping in the top right corner.
                        It does not effect WMA files, and it only does it on XP and not on my copy of Vista.
                        Ripping? i don't know what you mean. also, CCCP has an IRC channel where you should be able to get help.
                        they're in #cccp on irc.rizon.net

Comment

• Ultra Magnus
                          SPECIAL MEMBER
                          Level 29 - Villain Number One
                          • May 2007

http://www.animemusicvideos.org/guides/playback/
                          Here's the page that helped me out a couple of years ago.
                          It's a bit complex and there are a few options to choose from, but if you're having trouble with the community codec pack, or if you're like me and just want to know which bit each little thing does, you might want to give it a look.
                          Originally posted by Julianna Rose Official
                          GetLazy is our next target it will be closed very shortly.

Comment

• nindanjoe
                            Former Moderator
                            SPECIAL MEMBER
                            Level 27 - Little Pink Poster
                            • Apr 2007

Originally posted by Coderjoe
                            Originally posted by Sportajustin
                            Ripping? i don't know what you mean. also, CCCP has an IRC channel where you should be able to get help.
                            they're in #cccp on irc.rizon.net
                            You may have seen it already but I'll link it just in case. The problem has been fixed here: http://www.xizer.dreamhosters.com/getla ... .php?t=122 . He figured out that it was a video driver issue with a certain setting.

Ultra Magnus, I like that guide you posted there. Lots of information!
                            *Thanks to Ultra Magnus for Nindanjoe.sigpic

Comment

Working...