• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • SimbiAni
    GETLAZY MEMBER
    Level 11 - The Blue Knight
    • May 2007

Nindanjoe -

Yea, it can be an issue, altho most converters should be able to handle it (I mostly use my own said editor Pinnacle, or vDub for converting avi, and TMPGEnc for mpgs). Most vidders start out using Windows Movie Maker anyways, which apparently doesnt even notice the various fps of different files (and its "frame counter" isnt entirely accurate either).

But when editing in a fancy editor, you usually need to have your source files all in one matching framerate (reason for having them match is to keep all the timing of clips in sync)... and 23.97 isnt listed. Which makes sense as in I only heard of it recently, thats its a new thing called NTSC Film, and realized that every single downloaded tv ep (ripped from primetime network broadcasts) that I have just happen to be in that exact fps... gah.

I mean, it shouldnt be a problem, but when you want to vid for multiple seasons of shows... that is a LOT of converting! (especially when factoring in the time it takes to convert each ep), which I'll never get around to doing (as with LT, not that many eps so I took the time, and DW 25fps, I just went with it. Altho if I want to include DW in any crossfandom vids, I might finally get around to putting them in 29.97...), etc. Tho again, it all depends on your editor, I just *really* love Pinnacle... lol.

Re: the quality... well all my vids end up in medium quality WMVs, so... the initial quality is only a small matter. As long as its not blur-central in the final WMV render, I'll be fine with it. The source fps is all about the editing itself for me.

There are lots of LJ comms about vidding, if youre curious about programs and such or whatever else ;P http://livejournal.com/interests.bml?int=vidding

Currently waiting to dL the new DW ep as soon as its available, but right after its finished and dLed, I'll start upLing another LT ep for my list!
    youtube.com/SimbiAni25

:: twitter.com/SimbiAni :: simbiani.deviantart.com :: ?MiLENA? ::

Comment

• Ultra Magnus
      SPECIAL MEMBER
      Level 29 - Villain Number One
      • May 2007

A lot of people who use Adobe Premier (on the AMV scene, at least) start off by converting all of their source footage to 23.97 fps.
      I haven't got Premier, so I'm not exactly sure why, but they definately seem to have a preference for it.
      Originally posted by Julianna Rose Official
      GetLazy is our next target it will be closed very shortly.

Comment

• SimbiAni
        GETLAZY MEMBER
        • May 2007

I didnt kno it was popular for AMV vidders... thats interesting ;P

Secret Agent Zero is now up!

Edit: 2:40pm - Also just added Records Day!
        youtube.com/SimbiAni25

Comment

• nindanjoe
          Former Moderator
          SPECIAL MEMBER
          Level 27 - Little Pink Poster
          • Apr 2007

NTSC Film seems to have been around for awhile. I had a remastered version movie on DVD from the 80s named, "In the Heat of the Night" and it had the 24fps. I think it was recently that they started filming TV shows as 24fps because shows like "21 Jump Street" or "Bill Nye the Science Guy" all have the 30fps. Movies probably had the 24fps ever since a standard was made or something. Here's a little guide that talks about deinterlacing, film, and stuff (it's slightly outdated): http://www.doom9.org/ivtc-tut.htm . Forgot to say that I only discovered all this within the last year or so. :)

I think the usual anime is made at 12 fps and then just double the frames and change the framerate to 24fps when they finally do the encoding. There are exceptions, of course, sometimes they draw all 24 frames to give that fluid fighting action. animemusicvideos.org has a lot of information about the stuff: http://www.animemusicvideos.org/guides/

I just never read it all. =P

If the programs you use take AviSynth files, then maybe you don't have to reconvert everything, use a little script that converts the FPS to 30 and pop that into the program. I know that Windows Movie Maker currently doesn't accept AviSynth files. The concept of doing fanvideos is interesting, you learn how to edit and you learn a bunch of stuff. Unfortunately I can't edit very well because I always end keeping extra stuff around. But maybe one day I'll get over that little thing.
          *Thanks to Ultra Magnus for Nindanjoe.sigpic

Comment

• Howard the Duck
            SPECIAL MEMBER
            Level 15 - The Baby Troll
            • Apr 2007

It might just be that one episode, but I downloaded Secret Agent Zero and the audio sounded way muffled. :(

Comment

• SimbiAni
              GETLAZY MEMBER
              • May 2007

JimT- I watched it on my computer just now, and it sounds fine to me. Perhaps your codecs / speakers / volume settings are messing up? I kno lots of things affect audio- compu volume, media player volume, earphones wearing out, etc.

NindanJoe -

I figured its a bit old where movies are concerned anyway, its what they use in most theaters also, I think. But when I started vidding on my computer, it was with dvds and such, and everything was in the "normal" fps of 29.97 NTSC... so I just got really attached to it, hehe.

Re: AviSynth, way too complicated to even think about. Much better if the file itself is as perfect as possible to begin with... even if converting does take a while.

"I always end keeping extra stuff around"- what do you mean? Video editing isnt that difficult once you get the hang of it, especially if youre just a casual fan of it (it unfortunately gets harder when you become more of a perfectionist, hehe). As far as talent itself, I kind of think I'm just in the middle area- sometimes better than most, maybe, but nowhere near as good as a lot of my favorites! http://youtube.com/view_play_list?p=FB3381173D163EEF (I lack that extra creativity, hehe)

And now Zap It! is up too!
              youtube.com/SimbiAni25

Comment

• Ultra Magnus
                SPECIAL MEMBER
                • May 2007

Originally posted by SimbiAni
                Re: AviSynth, way too complicated to even think about. Much better if the file itself is as perfect as possible to begin with... even if converting does take a while.
                You should definately think about it, it's easy as piss to use AviSynth through VitrualDubMod, and it gives you great results.

Comment

• SimbiAni
                  GETLAZY MEMBER
                  • May 2007

I dont kno why you would use it thru vDub, as vDub converts just fine on its own... I already use vDub by itself.
                  youtube.com/SimbiAni25

Comment

• Ultra Magnus
                    SPECIAL MEMBER
                    • May 2007

Originally posted by SimbiAni
                    I dont kno why you would use it thru vDub, as vDub converts just fine on its own... I already use vDub by itself.
                    It's about cleaning up the footage and making it easier to compress, which means better quality, smaller file sizes and faster conversions.

Comment

• nindanjoe
                      Former Moderator
                      SPECIAL MEMBER
                      • Apr 2007

Well, I'm the type of person that gets attached to footage. Like when I uploaded a clip to YouTube, I kept telling myself to go back a few more seconds to give context to the clip. Eventually it was an extra 10 seconds!

You're an AviSynth user too, Ultra Magnus? Awesome!

As for AviSynth, it has great stuff with it. I haven't even learned everything about it, and it's still useful. I'd like to think VirtualDub and AviSynth were made for each other. Especially VirtualDubMod, where you can edit AviSynth scripts right there. Then there's all the plugins for both programs. I can go on and on, I'll just give you some examples of what I was able to do with AviSynth:

Got rid of most of the blended frames from the UK DVDs
                      Convert WMVs to whatever I wanted, and manipulate them for free.
                      Mess with almost any format without having to re-encode anything.

And here's a few things I've used and done:
                      TMPGEnc, CCE, and other MPG encoders take AviSynth scripts (.AVS)
                      You don't have to re-encode stuff, just use AviSynth to frameserve and add it in to the final product
                      DVD stuff, make a local copy on your hard drive and just use AviSynth to refer to the file without having to load it in VirtualDub

Although AviSynth is complicated, it has great rewards. And for my purposes, I can add in subtitle files while keeping all the fancy effects. If you'll allow me to toot my own horn, this is what I was able to do thanks to AviSynth (plus SubStation Alpha): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mea7FigTtXY .

Here's their Wiki: http://avisynth.org/mediawiki/Main_Page . They talk about when you should use it and stuff. I hope you'll give it some consideration.

Comment

• Ultra Magnus
                        SPECIAL MEMBER
                        • May 2007

Originally posted by nindanjoe
                        You're an AviSynth user too, Ultra Magnus? Awesome!
                        I don't use it on its own, just as an extension of VdubMod.
                        So I can't (or at least haven't tried to) do half the stuff you can, I just use it for cleaning up footage with filters and the like.

Originally posted by nindanjoe
                        I'd like to think VirtualDub and AviSynth were made for each other. Especially VirtualDubMod, where you can edit AviSynth scripts right there.
                        DGIndex, too.
                        There's a plugin you can use with DGIndex that automatically generates a skeleton avs script when you use it.

Comment

• Howard the Duck
                          SPECIAL MEMBER
                          Level 15 - The Baby Troll
                          • Apr 2007

Is anybody else downloading these to confirm the audio issue?

Comment

• lazy_airship
                            GETLAZY MEMBER
                            Level 8 - Treehouse Builder
                            • Apr 2007

Thanks heaps for posting "Friends Forever"

I always wanted to see that one!

Comment

• Luigi12
                              GETLAZY MEMBER
                              Level 12 - Lazy Scout
                              • Jun 2007

Jim, I can absolutely confirm the audio issue. It exists with Secret Agent Zero as well as Friends Forever. I just didn't complain because I was very happy/thankful to get these episodes, as I couldn't get them anywhere else. The only other episode I downloaded from Simbiani was Records Day, and it sounded fine, if not a bit quiet (but that's fairly common).

Comment

• nindanjoe
                                Former Moderator
                                SPECIAL MEMBER
                                • Apr 2007

Originally posted by Ultra Magnus
                                I don't use it on its own, just as an extension of VdubMod.
                                So I can't (or at least haven't tried to) do half the stuff you can, I just use it for cleaning up footage with filters and the like.

DGIndex, too.
                                There's a plugin you can use with DGIndex that automatically generates a skeleton avs script when you use it.
                                The stuff I do with AviSynth I just learned a few months ago. :) If I can do it, anyone can.

Shame on me for not mentioning DGIndex! I remember it took me forever to find out where to get the skeleton avs script option.

Comment

Working...