Pay for Facebook?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pay for Facebook?

I just knew that Facebook would introduce paid subscription in response to the new EU laws.​ What else could they do. Starting today.

Click image for larger version  Name:	facebook-ads.png Views:	0 Size:	135.4 KB ID:	192354

https://www.nytimes.com/2023/10/30/t...on-europe.html

META said on Monday that it will introduce an advertisement-free subscription option for Facebook and Instagram for the first time beginning next month for users in Europe, a sign of how government pressure is leading large tech companies to change their core products.

The social networking company said it was complying with “evolving European regulations” by introducing the subscription option in:

The European Union
    Iceland
    Liechtenstein
    Norway
    Switzerland

Starting in November, users will be able to choose to continue using Facebook or Instagram for free with ads, or to subscribe to stop seeing ads, Meta said.

The cost will range from 9.99 euros a month ($10.58) on the web to 12.99 euros a month ($13.75) on iOS and Android devices, and apply to a user’s linked Facebook and Instagram accounts. Starting on March 1, 2024, an additional fee of 6 euros a month for the web version and 8 euros a month for mobile access will apply for additional accounts.
    Magnús: - I have fans of all ages and I don't think it's weird when older people like LazyTown. LazyTown appeals to people for many different reasons: dancing, acrobatics, etc.

Interesting that it costs more on mobile than on a computer. I think YouTube premium is the same. I wonder if you can get around that by using a web browser on the phone instead of the app.
    l i t t l e s t e p h e r s

Comment

Originally posted by chuft View Post
      Interesting that it costs more on mobile than on a computer. I think YouTube premium is the same. I wonder if you can get around that by using a web browser on the phone instead of the app.
      I won't pay them so I can't tell. I don't see much ads because of the ad-blockers and have hidden all those other nonsense stuff, like suggestions, with extensions. Very helpful, a clean timeline, with only friend's posts.
      https://github.com/mrinc/F-B-Hide-Re...ions-and-Reels
      Magnús: - I have fans of all ages and I don't think it's weird when older people like LazyTown. LazyTown appeals to people for many different reasons: dancing, acrobatics, etc.

Comment

I wonder if they will go to war with ad blockers like YouTube has.

Comment

Twitter (oh sorry, "X"), Spotify, now Facebook.
          Pretty soon we'll have to pay to watch videos on YouTube
          MY ACTION MOVIE REVIEW BLOG | MY SPORTACUS FAN-SITE

Comment

Did you miss the entire YouTube adblocker thread? A lot of people already do pay to watch videos on YouTube. YouTube is trying to force everyone else to either pay or watch ads.

Comment

Did you miss the entire YouTube adblocker thread? A lot of people already do pay to watch videos on YouTube. YouTube is trying to force everyone else to either pay or watch ads.
              I use Firefox, CustomTube and uBlock Origin. I don't have the problem so far.

Comment

Everything is going to be a monthly subscription including the ability to turn on and use your computer.
                http://eighteenlightyearsago.ytmnd.com/

Comment

These threads on Reddit crack me up. "Everything is getting worse." "No that's just your nostalgia old man." Except things really are getting worse. Subscription-everything is one of them.

Comment

These threads on Reddit crack me up. "Everything is getting worse." "No that's just your nostalgia old man." Except things really are getting worse. Subscription-everything is one of them.
                    Someone was snooping around the files for Windows 12 (a tester) and came across Subscription text and something about different Windows 12 versions.
                    You know the usual Home, Pro and Enterprise editions. We shall see.

Comment

It's odd how there is a total lack of competition in our supposedly free market society. Windows has no competition for all practical purposes.

Comment

It's odd how there is a total lack of competition in our supposedly free market society. Windows has no competition for all practical purposes.
                        Yeah. Linux has been stuck at about 1.6 percent according to Steam gamer usage.
                        With my new rig, I probably should install Linux and run Windows 11 in a VM (Virtual Machine) for adobe stuff.
                        I played around with VMs with my previous computer but it just didn't have the power.

Comment

I remember the internet back in 2020. Sure, it was screwed, but you didn't have to pay for basic features on every goddamn site.

Comment

Originally posted by boredjedi View Post

Yeah. Linux has been stuck at about 1.6 percent according to Steam gamer usage.
                            With my new rig, I probably should install Linux and run Windows 11 in a VM (Virtual Machine) for adobe stuff.
                            I played around with VMs with my previous computer but it just didn't have the power.
                            Don't waste your time. Windows 11 sucks. The only thing that makes it usable is changing the UI to Windows 10 or below.
                            Oh, you also have to pay for MICROSOFT WORD.

Comment

Originally posted by possessor View Post

Don't waste your time. Windows 11 sucks. The only thing that makes it usable is changing the UI to Windows 10 or below.
                              Oh, you also have to pay for MICROSOFT WORD.
                              That's all I've been using. I beat it into submission! I find the UI fine like all the other versions of Widows except for one Windows 8.
                              Now that was garbage.

Comment

Working...
                              X