Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Atlantic Ocean Floor and what happened to Iceland?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Atlantic Ocean Floor and what happened to Iceland?

I have always been fascinated by the way the Earth's plates have moved apart and become separate continents. I love history, my first love. In this photo I have highlighted the edges with colors where the edges were originally against each other. Strangely enough, Iceland doesn't fit in there, what happened there?​

Click image for larger version

Name:	atlantic-ocean-floor.jpg
Views:	217
Size:	390.4 KB
ID:	192996
    Magnús: - I have fans of all ages and I don't think it's weird when older people like LazyTown. LazyTown appeals to people for many different reasons: dancing, acrobatics, etc.

Usually this means a recent landmass formed by a volcano, like the Hawaiian islands. I believe Iceland has an active volcano does it not? If so it is probably relatively new land and did not exist when the continents were touching.
    l i t t l e s t e p h e r s

Comment

Originally posted by chuft View Post
      Usually this means a recent landmass formed by a volcano, like the Hawaiian islands. I believe Iceland has an active volcano does it not? If so it is probably relatively new land and did not exist when the continents were touching.
      Yes. The ridge in the middle is interrupted​ before and after Iceland, that supports that theory​. Must have been a huge volcano eruption to form a landmass as Iceland.
      Magnús: - I have fans of all ages and I don't think it's weird when older people like LazyTown. LazyTown appeals to people for many different reasons: dancing, acrobatics, etc.

Comment

And it's right over the middle of two plates. And the volcanoes have been gurgling again with earthquakes.
        The last I saw though was that the Reykjavik volcano was about about to go off. It was gurgling too.
        I never followed up on that one.

Iceland also rather resembles Númenórë.

http://eighteenlightyearsago.ytmnd.com/

Comment

Hawaii is interesting because the plate keeps moving over the hole in the crust. Each island gets formed one at a time, then moves onward leaving the hole to form a new one with volcanic eruptions. The last island in the chain, the Big Island of Hawaii, is the newest one and is currently over the hole in the crust and thus has an active volcano as well as black sand beaches from volcanic rock being ground into sand by the sea. The other islands in the chain are older and no longer have active volcanoes since they are no longer over the hole. They just have dead craters like Diamond Head. Their beaches have white sand since they are formed from coral reefs which grew around the islands, have been eroded, and ground into sand by the sea.

Comment

Yeah the plate moves over a fixed hot spot and thus the creation of the chain of islands
            I think I remember seeing a video a while ago of an older clip showing a new island being created.
            Erupting and breaking the surface of the ocean.

Comment

Originally posted by boredjedi View Post
              Yeah the plate moves over a fixed hot spot and thus the creation of the chain of islands
              Hard to imagine but some say that there was only water once and all the land was formed from hot spots.

Looking at the previous picture, the US was once connected to the Sahara of Africa, the tropical rainforest to the center of Africa, and Europe to Canada/Greenland. You can still see it back in the vegetation and the soil composition​ on both sides.

Comment

Another birth of an island

Comment

Another birth of an island
                  Right. That went pretty fast. Not really habitable yet. Cooling down and having plants to grow on probably takes years.​ Even some parts of Iceland you can't live after all those centuries​.

Comment

Originally posted by LazyPooky View Post

Right. That went pretty fast. Not really habitable yet. Cooling down and having plants to grow on probably takes years.​ Even some parts of Iceland you can't live after all those centuries​.
                    Yeah it takes a while. It's close enough to other lands at least and in 100+ years it'll have plant life and wildlife taking hold. Maybe even sooner.

Comment

And we've got a new one

Comment

And we've got a new one
                        I wonder who has the first rights to that new piece of island. I expect the country where the island is located within the land borders, but if this is in the middle of the ocean, everyone can probably claim the new piece of land. Not that it will be of any use to anyone in the next 100 years with those toxic smoke and hot surface. Would be cool to have an island and call it LazyTown. Probably not a good idea, Warner will surely conquer it from us​ with their Warner soldiers 😐

Comment

That volcano better hurry up. It's racing sea level rise. The sea is rising 1 inch every 3 years here. Looks like it's only rising 0.35 inches every 3 years in the Netherlands though. Strange how it doesn't rise at the same rate everywhere.

Comment

• boredjedi
                            boredjedi commented
                            Editing a comment
                            Yeah you would think it would all level out

I wonder who has the first rights to that new piece of island. I expect the country where the island is located within the land borders, but if this is in the middle of the ocean, everyone can probably claim the new piece of land. Not that it will be of any use to anyone in the next 100 years with those toxic smoke and hot surface. Would be cool to have an island and call it LazyTown. Probably not a good idea, Warner will surely conquer it from us​ with their Warner soldiers 😐
                          I do know Iwo Jima belongs to Japan so I would assume so will the new island. Though it's more
                          an outgrowth of the Island rather than being a new island.

I keep wondering when the Earth is tropical temperatures globally again due to the natural processes (Orbital and Tilt variations) and the Antarctic is
                          finally freed from its ice prison once again, the war that's going erupt over it. The war over it's land and natural resources.
                          Would be weird having someone say they are Antarctican. I guess the national flag would be white and ice blue with a Penguin as homage to
                          how it use to be.

Comment

Would be cool to have an island and call it LazyTown. Probably not a good idea, Warner will surely conquer it from us​ with their Warner soldiers.
                            Maybe could instead call it LazyLand, (Latilandið) or just call it Latibær.
                            They can't copyright that.

Comment

Working...
                            X