• Show
Clear All
  • possessor
    I like LazyTown.
    SPECIAL MEMBER
    Level 29 - Villain Number One
    • Oct 2021

Winning Against Another School In Debating! A RECAP OF MY DAY

None of the names in this are actually their real names.. just protecting their privacy. Thus why I am using Latabæ (LazyTown) names. Only real one is Amanda.
    The Debating Dragons
    Go To Dundas Public! A recap of Tuesday, May 28, 2024, a day I won’t forget unless I get dementia..

It all just kinda happened.. nah kidding! It started when my school introduced Lunchtime Clubs. Two of which I had my eye on – Debating and drama.
    My heart goes to debating, but I also really like acting. Fortunately the two clubs take place on separate days. But, the drama class barely was related to acting. It was just exercises and stuff.
    Instead of quitting normally, I just didn’t go and hoped nobody would notice.
    We are called the Debating Dragons because dragons are scary and other schools facing us would feel threathened. I came up with the name. Unfortunately, we are also called the Dolphins because they’re allegedly smart. I did not come up with that name.
    Anyways, my debating teacher Ms. Meanswell chose four people to do debating in Term One. This was my chance! All I needed to do was sign the form as quick as I can considering Miss was only taking 4 students. But then I found out the form was given on a day I was absent.
    So I thought my chances of debating at another school or in public, were over. And I was bummed.
    Until last week!
    Miss Meanswell chose eight of her best debaters to go to Dundas Public School near us, and guess who was one of them? Yours truly.
    Other people who got to go were Stephers (really good debater, also the daughter of the parent that was driving six of us there), Alex (My g!!!), Trixie (school captain, also hilarious), Pixel (Joel’s g!!!), Bessoe (she’s uhhh... uhhh...), Rottenella (super duper awesome person, also a captain!) and Solla (she does the poker face whenever I annoy her..). They were different in many ways, but they had one thing in common – they debated. And pretty gosh darn good too.
    The day before the big comp, it took me forever to go to bed. I was up thinking about representing our school.. and maybe I was reading ‘Dog Man: A tale of two kitties’. Can you blame me?

Anyways, I didn’t get much sleep, considering I woke up at seven o’clock. We were supposed to arrive at school by 8:20. I was walking so fast (my mother said I shouldn’t worry, so I didn’t run), I was the first one of the debaters there.
    It was so strange, being at school before 8:40 something. But then again, I arrived to school at 5 AM once.. FOR A NEWS REPORT. So, anyways, I was the first in the school office, and Bessie was the second.
    Then Alex, then Pixel, then Rottenella.. you get the drill. We were just goofing around and joking until the last of the debaters came.
    We were going to Dundas.
    Bani’s mom took six of the debaters in her really swag Mitsubishi car, and I was one of them! Trixie and Solla went with Miss Baejarstottin, yet another teacher at my school.
    We started the journey..
    That took about ten minutes or so. Was expecting 35 minutes or even more. We talked about seeing movies in IMAX, The Lion King, reading books, and etc.
    Miss Measnwell totally did not get lost on the way to the school.
    When we arrived it felt like I was at my school in Perth when I was about 3 or 4. Dundas looked a bit like the said school. I can faintly remember what I said about the school. ‘The playgrounds are playgroundier, the sixth graders are crazier..’
    The stairs also had book titles on them for some reason, I saw a Dr. Seuss one. The motto ‘Safe, respectful learners who always care’ is apparently the same in every school. Because I have seen it at 3 schools, and Dundas was no different at all.
    Anyways, the Dolphins (Rottenella, Pixel, Alex & Stephers) started their debating which took an hour. We had to go sit on a bench far away from the classroom they were debating in. For the entire hour.
    Bessie & Solla were doing math (I pitied those two..), Trixie was eating her muffin, I was reading a book and chomping my crisps. Overall, it was kinda fun, talking about various topics.
    During the time, Bessie mentioned how good I was to be on a debating team with a bunch of kids older then me. I never thought of it that way.
    Then I needed to go to the bathroom, which was right next to the assembly hall. Which looked the EXACT SAME as our assembly hall. Mr. Louie says it’s because the government gave the same budget to all the assembly hall builders in NSW. I doubt it. The bathroom next to the hall LOOKED EXACTLY like the bathroom in our office.
    Anyways, once the hour was FINALLY UP, we had to.. wait more. For the debate to ACTUALLY finish. But we were outside, deciding our positions and ripping up a yellow envelope with our topic in it.

The topic was ‘Students should have three day weekends’. We picked that one because we thought we were gonna get affirmative which’d have been really really EASY.
    Or.. so I thought.
    So, we flipped a coin, and we got negative. We had until the Dolphins finished the debating to write on our flash cards. The rebuttal AND reasons.
    Stephers was having trouble brainstorming a topic (she came up with one about ten or five minutes before the debate started), I was playing with the stopwatch (while writing), Trixie was also writing.. and Solla was telling us to get our move on (and telling us the standard order of a debate).
    Then, it was TIME.
    Time to go against a bunch of kids we didn’t know, on a side of an argument we didn’t want to be on (Stephers and Solla wanted to be on it, apparently..).
    While the Dolphins (who unfortunately lost..) were watching us.
    The first Dunda Greys speaker’s argument was that you have more time to talk with your family, and my rebuttal is that we already KNOW enough about our families.
    My arguments were that if we had three days weekend, students would not have the mindset of a heavily prepared learner, and that if we had three day weekends, that would make an entire month of weekends, which could be used doing so much better things.
    I stuttered trying to start the speech. A rocky start, but the rest of the road was pretty smooth.
    I don’t remember much of the arguments.
    The judge was named Amanda and she judged over a Google Talk meeting. For the first arguments, Dragons won. For the second arguments, Dragons won. Third arguments?? DRAGONS WON!!!!
    WE HAD WON AND WERE ADVANCING TO THE NEXT DEBATE and we get to wear fancy blazers soon BUT STILL!!
    We found out we were going to appear in the school newsletter, so two photos were taken for the article. Hoping to read the article soon.
    Then we went back to school. Me and Stephers offered to sit at the very far back, where there is so little leg room. It took a while for the gate to open (the receptionist said she’d open it soon), and in the time we weren’t driving, we were just goofing around, yappin.

Then Ms. Stiora arrived at the school and parked the car at exactly 12:30. We had 2 hours and a half left of school!
    I walked into the building slowly in an attempt to miss A LOT. (It worked.) I ran into the building after the Year 6s went to THEIR classes. I dropped my bag onto the floor, and I went up to the door. Nishal had his mouth wide open. I don’t think I told anyone about debating in my class.
    But maybe one of the teachers did it for me, because the first thing my classmate Halla asked was ‘how was debating?’.
    I yelled out these two words.. “WE WON!!!!!” and everyone clapped. Since I didn’t eat ANY of my food aside from the crisps, I got to miss maths, eating a croissant, eating cookies and biscuits, and of course drinking water. Stay hydrated, kids!
    When Mr. Louie finished one of the slides, he asked me about debating. Where’d I go? What was I debating about? Which side was I?
    All these questions were answered by me, and I asked if I could tell the class about my entire day. Unfortunately, I was cut off at the part about arriving at the school and Mr. Louie wanted to do a fake debate with me for the same topic.
    His (not serious) reason was ‘We get to eat junk food and play on our Nintendos!’. My rebuttal? That doesn’t help the brain, and not everyone is allowed to eat junk food. I then recited my argument from memory. Everyone clapped and it ended there because Mr. Louie had promised them an early recess.
    So, I decided to discuss debating with him for the entirety of the five extra minutes we got. Then I saw my main bro forever, Glanni walk up. I told him the news, then we played Cops N’ Robbers.
    I informed a bunch of people that we won. Even the people I didn’t like *cough*Stina, the racist bully*cough*! So, once recess was over, I told Miss Busybody the news.. and she didn’t really care. She congratulated me at least.
    The end of the day was pretty nice. We had science, art, & a game to test your memory.
    Anyways, I went to the library before going home where I told Miss Scheving the news, and she congratulated me and asked me where it was.
    Once we left, Shashaanthan wanted to go to Gate A, but I wanted to go to Gate B (the shorter way) for only one reason. To tell my family my team won!!
    And maybe I had to pee.
    So, we went to Gate B, I arrived home, I told my dad (who congratulated me and also said that debating skills are useful) and brother whose reaction was.. ‘W’.
    My mother was at Woolworths so I couldn’t tell her. But I knew she was going to be super duper happy!

So I tricked her a bit. I walked her in with sad face, told her about the loss of half our team and then told her to guess which team I was on. She guessed the Dolphins, but then I told her the real answer.
    So yada yada, we hugged, she made me pack groceries, the end.
    I had some Celebrating Chocolate Chip Cookies TM for our victory. You should too.

Now toodles, my children. Toodles. I am going to be rewatching season one, episode twenty-nine of LazyTown: ‘Greatest Hits’ if anyone looks for me.
    Oh, and by the way, thanks to Miss Difenbach for setting up debating, thanks to Ms. Stiora for driving us to the school, thanks to Mr. D’uhragon or paying for everything, thanks to Magnus Scheving for making LazyTown, thanks to Amanda for making us win, thanks to Solla for helping me with the form, thanks to my mom for giving me two celebratory chip packets..
    I should stop, shouldn’t I?

Magnus owns LazyTown again. Celebrate!
Working...