• Show
Clear All
  • boredjedi
    Master
    SPECIAL MEMBER
    Level 35 - Rockin' Poster
    • Jun 2007

Originally posted by Play_z
    chuft the stuff BJ is talking about Dr. D and Chris from Mr. B sending inappropriate messages to minors and also groomed them
    Yup. I remember it all started almost a year ago the new round of shenanigans getting called out. Miranda Sings (now Colleen Vlogs). That Ukulele female content creator.
    So it's not specific to one gender. I never watched any of these "content creators". Most of those channels are popular with the 13-18 year old crowd.

I vaguely knew about Dr. D and Mr. B. Videos would pop up in recommended every now and again. I stick with mostly the tech and science videos
    but the drama gets so big I invariably get recommended the drama due to youtube's algorithm. I'm like okay what's going on now.
    And after I watch the drama unfold, I sit back and feel "Ignorance is bliss" sometimes.
    http://eighteenlightyearsago.ytmnd.com/

Comment

• Play_z
      Average fan of LazyTown šŸ™ƒ
      GETLAZY MEMBER
      Level 11 - The Blue Knight
      • Nov 2023

Originally posted by boredjedi

Yup. I remember it all started almost a year ago the new round of shenanigans getting called out. Colleen Vlogs. That Ukulele female content creator.
      So it's not specific to one gender. I never watched any of these "content creators". Most of those channels are popular with the 13-18 year old crowd.

I vaguely knew about Dr. D and Mr. B. Videos would pop up in recommended every now and again. I stick with mostly the tech and science videos
      ā€œContent creatorsā€ are getting out of hand at this point, same goes for TikTok ā€œinfluencersā€. I donā€™t get a lot of Dr. D videos but I do get a lot Mr. B videos. Personally Iā€™m not a big fan of Mr. Beast since the way the videos are structured unless itā€™s helping out a small community. Iā€™m not a tech person but I do love my science tho

Comment

• chuft
        Stepher
        SPECIAL MEMBER
        Level 30 - Stepher
        • Dec 2007

Originally posted by possessor
        It doesn't affect me I don't live in USA
        The law does not apply to US children, it applies to sites which provide services to the US, which this site does.

We will see what happens. It hasn't passed yet, maybe it won't, or it will be changed. It would affect so many sites that it is hard to see how they would enforce it. But sometimes the mere threat of enforcement is enough to get sites to comply with a law.
        l i t t l e s t e p h e r s

Comment

• possessor
          I like LazyTown.
          SPECIAL MEMBER
          Level 30 - Stepher
          • Oct 2021

Originally posted by chuft

It hasn't passed yet
          Oh

maybe it won't
          Let's hope it don't.

Comment

• chuft
            Stepher
            SPECIAL MEMBER
            Level 30 - Stepher
            • Dec 2007

Passed the Senate.

https://apnews.com/article/senate-ch...87fc3887aa710f

Next, the House.

Comment

• possessor
              possessor commented
              Editing a comment
              NO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• possessor
              possessor commented
              Editing a comment
              goodbye gang it was nice while it lasted

i'll see you in 2 years ig
          • boredjedi
            Master
            SPECIAL MEMBER
            • Jun 2007

Originally posted by chuft
            But sometimes the mere threat of enforcement is enough to get sites to comply with a law.
            And all they have to do is target just 1 or 2 to put the fear in all others to force compliance.

Comment

• possessor
              possessor commented
              Editing a comment
              If this site didn't comply, would we be shut down? Would this site be prohibited to USA minors or people even older then that?

• chuft
              chuft commented
              Editing a comment
              The penalty appears to be a fine of $10,000 for each day the site is not in compliance. It's not so much a question of the site being shut down, so much as Pooky either complying with the law with age verification, or closing the site to US IP addresses perhaps, or even shutting down. I don't recall a bill like this before, I am not sure how it would affect international sites. It may be Europe would not allow the US to enforce it on a European site due to the privacy concerns involved in requiring age verification.

• possessor
              possessor commented
              Editing a comment
              10,000!? That could make up for more then 10 years hosting.

'It may be Europe would not allow the US to enforce it on a European site due to the privacy concerns involved in requiring age verification. '

I've heard Europe is big on privacy.
          • Buzz
            Der Postmeister
            SPECIAL MEMBER
            Level 33 - New Superhero
            • Jan 2009

It's none of my business, but don't children in the USA have other serious problems?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o..._by_death_toll
            Gallery

Comment

• Play_z
              GETLAZY MEMBER
              • Nov 2023

Originally posted by Buzz
              It's none of my business, but don't children in the USA have other serious problems?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o..._by_death_toll
              Yeah I donā€™t why they donā€™t anything about it in US. Same goes for Australia when comes to knifes and e-cigarettes. Social media is not really that harmful. It depends on the way the person uses it. I grew up in the generation where Social media just started to become big and I never had problems with it (except for here and here on online games)

Comment

• Buzz
                Buzz commented
                Editing a comment
                I believe it is about the Second Amendment to the United States Constitution and a deep distrust of the government
            • chuft
              Stepher
              SPECIAL MEMBER
              Level 30 - Stepher
              • Dec 2007

Social media does serious damage to a lot of children, the research on it is very clear. It is particularly damaging to teenage girls. It has resulted in a lot of suicides.

When you are asking "why do politicians do something about this and not that" you have to look at it from a risk management point of view.

School shootings (or mass stabbings of children, as happened in Britain this week) are a terrible thing, but they are rare. The chances of a particular child being injured in one of these events (remember America has over 330,000,000 people) is incredibly low.

Social media on the other hand is ubiquitous, virtually every child is now exposed to it and its harmful effects.

You can't really compare the two, because you WILL be exposed to social media's effects one way or the other. Not using it is likely to get a child treated as some kind of weirdo by their peers, and they will worry about others talking about them behind their back. In contrast, you are extremely unlikely to be involved in an incident of mass violence - and those are much harder to prevent than, say, targeting a big tech corporation that has a lot to lose if they try to ignore the law.

So social media is (a) going to affect virtually every child in the country and (b) can be addressed by the law because it is targeting corporations who will comply with the law because they have a lot of money to lose. An incident of mass violence, such as the mass stabbing that just took place in Europe, is basically impossible to prevent. Typically these perpetrators have no criminal record and have never done anything that would let you restrain their actions. No law is going to prevent that kind of incident.

So you fix the stuff you can fix, especially if it will benefit tens of millions of children.

As for guns - Switzerland, in Europe, actually has gun laws which are more liberal than the US's. I think the mass shooting problem in the US is related to culture more than guns. Culture is very hard to "fix".

Comment

• boredjedi
                Master
                SPECIAL MEMBER
                • Jun 2007

You know what annoys me about these type of bills?
                There's not one ounce of responsibility put on the parents.
                Where the onus really belongs.

Case in point
                The bill, which passed 91-3, has been pushed by parents of children who died by suicide after online bullying or have otherwise been harmed by online content.
                Where were you the parents?

Comment

• possessor
                  possessor commented
                  Editing a comment
                  So you're telling me, people willingly ended their own lives because of online bullying? And EVERYONE under 13 on the interwebz has to get a consequence for that????

• Play_z
                  Play_z commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Yeah it sucks and people also get eating disorders because of it. For some reason some people donā€™t really blocked the bad people and let them ruin their lives until they end their lives

• possessor
                  possessor commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Eating disorders? Let me guess, too sad to eat.

' For some reason some people donā€™t really blocked the bad people and let them ruin their lives until they end their lives '

IT'S ONE BUTTON!!! ONE!!! BUTTON!!!!
              • Play_z
                GETLAZY MEMBER
                • Nov 2023

Even though I might be wrong about the harmful effects of social media. It also, depends on what app (For example: Insta, snapchat, twitter and discord are the worst with bullying)

Comment

• chuft
                  Stepher
                  SPECIAL MEMBER
                  Level 30 - Stepher
                  • Dec 2007

It goes hand in hand with the internet and now smartphones. It used to be when you came home from school you were away from all that nonsense, your family home was a refuge from bad kids at school and you didn't know or care what they were doing. Now you can check and see, and get reminders and contacts from others, 24 hours a day wherever you are. Somebody not fitting in at school can't escape it even at home, they will see people's Facebook feeds with others doing things without them (including perhaps people they thought were their friends), or they can receive online bullying. And of course there is the risk of bad adults making contact with them online.

Teenage girls in particular tend to have a strong psychological need to fit into a group of other girls and the kind of meanness that is possible via social media just was not even possible in the past. And because young people tend to live on their phones and are communicating around the clock with people, there is no escape from a bad situation, it reaches into every time and place of your life.

Comment

• Play_z
                    GETLAZY MEMBER
                    • Nov 2023

I agree with your statement. As a teenager myself I had a fair share of fake friends who would non-stop vaping in my face and I always felt like I was a nobody in that group. Thankfully, I'm not apart that group anymore and I'm hanging out with few people who actually care about me.

Comment

• chuft
                      chuft commented
                      Editing a comment
                      One of life's important skills is learning to get bad people out of your life and surround yourself with good ones, and be able to tell which is which relatively soon after meeting them.

• possessor
                      possessor commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Good advice. When I was a 2nd grader, we had a new student, I greeted her first so I guess I was stuck with her until she left and for some reason even when she made weight and race comments I just shrugged it off man *facepalm* & it turns out I had my fair-share of fake friends too because most of her friends came from me good-mouthing her, luckily this tall girl told me everything about how she was using me to get morreee frrieeendds.. I should've figured that out since when the tall girl was a newbie

I was dumb okay

Luckily I have real friends nowadays!! (and tell them when they go too far because I'm not a wuss)

• Play_z
                      Play_z commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Actually today during HPE since my class was putting together a training plan for exercising. And my teacher said has anyone completed filling out the plan. A few people put their hands up including the girl who is apart that group and she said ā€œWell, thatā€™s little bit depressingā€ out to the whole class. In the back of head I knew she was directing it at me. But it checks out that I was finished after my teacher checked it (She hasnā€™t talk about me to my face since I left the group for good reasons)
                  • Play_z
                    GETLAZY MEMBER
                    • Nov 2023

Ok, I was kind of blasting this at break while playing cool math games today šŸ˜…

Comment

• possessor
                      I like LazyTown.
                      SPECIAL MEMBER
                      Level 30 - Stepher
                      • Oct 2021

I forgor cmg exsted

Comment

Working...