• Show
Clear All
  • chuft
    Stepher
    SPECIAL MEMBER
    Level 30 - Stepher
    • Dec 2007

Cyclones Hurricanes Storm surge

Here is a short video that shows storm surge. A lot of people hear about "storm surge" in cyclones and don't know what it means. They might think it means a big wave that comes in and then goes back out like a tsunami. But it's not. This video shows what it looks like when the ocean decides to move inland for awhile. This is from Hurricane Ian in 2022. 15 foot storm surge above normal sea level.

Fun fact, I turned down a job offer to work at a place in this town. Glad I did, the place I would have worked was damaged by this incredible storm surge and years later is still under reconstruction.

Hurricane Milton is threatening the Florida Gulf coast with storm surge of this magnitude in the next few days.

l i t t l e s t e p h e r s
  • chuft
    Stepher
    SPECIAL MEMBER
    Level 30 - Stepher
    • Dec 2007

A fully developed hurricane can release heat energy at a rate of 5 to 20 × 1013 watts and converts less than 10% of the heat into the mechanical energy of the wind,” according to the FAQ. To put that into perspective, NOAA says that's the equivalent of a 10-megaton nuclear bomb exploding every 20 minutes.

https://www.pnj.com/story/weather/hu...e/70183718007/

Comment

• Play_z
      Average fan of LazyTown 🙃
      GETLAZY MEMBER
      Level 11 - The Blue Knight
      • Nov 2023

• How to survive a flash flood
      • “Whoa, what’s this guy doing”.
        2 minutes
      • ”You don’t want to be this guy” - Gets me all the time for some reason.
      • What is a tornado
      • How to survive a tornado at home
      • Not really a educational video but it shows how crazy tornado chasing is

Comment

• Play_z
        Average fan of LazyTown 🙃
        GETLAZY MEMBER
        Level 11 - The Blue Knight
        • Nov 2023

A educational video about Cyclone Tracy. Which happened back in the Early morning of December 25th 1974 in Darwin Australia. The city became the site of possibly the greatest natural disaster in the nation's history causing the mass evacuation south of three-quarters of the city's 43,000 people.

Comment

• possessor
          possessor commented
          Editing a comment
          Yep I was reading a world records book and this popped up
      • chuft
        Stepher
        SPECIAL MEMBER
        Level 30 - Stepher
        • Dec 2007

Originally posted by Play_z
        A educational video about Cyclone Tracy. Which happened back in the Early morning of December 25th 1974 in Darwin Australia. The city became the site of possibly the greatest natural disaster in the nation's history causing the mass evacuation south of three-quarters of the city's 43,000 people.

[video]
        Amazing they were telling people to open a window. That is a good way to lose your roof.

Wow it hit late at night on Christmas Eve. Merry Christmas Darwin. Talk about coal in your stocking. Very tiny storm, very bad luck to have it hit right there.

For those who don't know I am directly in the cone for Hurricane Milton. Enjoying what will likely be my last hot meal for awhile.

Comment

• Play_z
          Play_z commented
          Editing a comment
          Stay save out there
      • LazyPooky
        ADMINISTRATOR
        Level 35 - Rockin' Poster
        • Oct 2007

Originally posted by chuft
        For those who don't know I am directly in the cone for Hurricane Milton. Enjoying what will likely be my last hot meal for awhile.
        I can't imagine how that feels like. Stay save and give us an update soon.
        Magnús: - I have fans of all ages and I don't think it's weird when older people like LazyTown. LazyTown appeals to people for many different reasons: dancing, acrobatics, etc.

Comment

• chuft
          Stepher
          SPECIAL MEMBER
          Level 30 - Stepher
          • Dec 2007

Latest track from National Hurricane Center is out. Eye is supposed to go right through my apartment. LOL.

Thought I had a "windy Steph" gif but I can't find it.

Comment

• LazyPooky
            ADMINISTRATOR
            • Oct 2007

Originally posted by chuft
            Latest track from National Hurricane Center is out. Eye is supposed to go right through my apartment. LOL.

Thought I had a "windy Steph" gif but I can't find it.
            Assuming the eye is the calm part, which is not that bad, your apartment is also dealing with two parts of the hurricane - left and right winds. Probably a lot of water too. I hope it will survive. I heard that the debris, caused by the previous storm, act like missiles and destroy everything.

The windy Step is relevant is this situation. Made by BJ. But I'm afraid it's the wrong Steph. Remember. 😆
            Magnús: - I have fans of all ages and I don't think it's weird when older people like LazyTown. LazyTown appeals to people for many different reasons: dancing, acrobatics, etc.

Comment

• chuft
              Stepher
              SPECIAL MEMBER
              Level 30 - Stepher
              • Dec 2007

The hurricane force winds are only in a relatively small area around the eye. So the eye is bad, since you will get it coming and going as it goes over you.

If you look at the storm history, the brown area is hurricane force winds. The larger area around it is tropical storm force winds.

Tropical storm force winds are no joke, they are here now and very violent, but the hurricane force winds to come - they always come late at night it seems lol - are much worse. At least the tornadoes have died down. Earlier today there were 17 large tornadoes at once across the state including along the Atlantic coast on the other side of the state.

Click image for larger version

Name:	212329_wind_history.png
Views:	0
Size:	54.6 KB
ID:	200736

Comment

• Fairy-Possum
                Metal fur life \m/
                SPECIAL MEMBER
                Level 10 - LazyTowner
                • Aug 2023

Geez I should probably watch the news. This is my first time hearing this, I swear Florida can never catch a break lol.

Also, how long before it passes through entirely? I don't know how hurricanes work hah

Stay safe Chuft

Comment

• chuft
                  Stepher
                  SPECIAL MEMBER
                  Level 30 - Stepher
                  • Dec 2007

The 8 o'clock update just came from the National Hurricane Center. This shows you the timeline going forward. Note the hurricane force wind area is the small brown circle around the X, the large orange circle is the tropical storm force wind area. However gusts go higher in both zones than the normal max sustained winds.

Click image for larger version  Name:	212329_5day_cone_no_line_and_wind.png Views:	0 Size:	87.4 KB ID:	200740

If you want to play with a cool site go here

https://www.windy.com/-Hurricane-tra...55,8,m:eqTadQX

However be aware that the hurricane track model is the NHC-at in the upper right in the Hurricane Tracker section, but the wind, rain etc effects shown use the weather model shown in the bottom right, default model ECMWF, so the hurricane track won't match the movement of the storm shown by using the time track along the bottom, because they are different models.

Also Windy.com always shows wind strength as much less than it really is, don't know why.

Comment

• boredjedi
                    boredjedi commented
                    Editing a comment
                    I saw a report just before Tampa Bay went dry. Reverse storm surge.
                    Saw a video clip. Looks like Mont Saint Michel during lowest tide where
                    you could walk to the island the Abbey is built on.

• chuft
                    chuft commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Must have been an old clip, it did not go dry today.
                • boredjedi
                  Master
                  SPECIAL MEMBER
                  • Jun 2007

Oh boy land fall. Eye of the storm nearly there.
                  At least it did lose power 120mph winds down from
                  185mph the other day.

Hope ya staying safe

https://www.star.nesdis.noaa.gov/GOE...4#homePageLink

Click image for larger version  Name:	Milton04.png Views:	0 Size:	941.1 KB ID:	200742
                  http://eighteenlightyearsago.ytmnd.com/

Comment

• LazyPooky
                    ADMINISTRATOR
                    • Oct 2007

Black eye of Milton

Click image for larger version

Name:	milton-hurricane.gif
Views:	0
Size:	2.58 MB
ID:	200765

Comment

Working...