Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Your Country

Originally posted by LazyPooky View Post
    I don't know any danish people although the country is not so far away, and I never heard any of them speak english. Now it seems they have the best english skills of all the non-native english language countries. http://www.ef.co.uk/epi/
    Isn't that just a great ego boost, hahaha.
    To be honest with you, I cannot tell you why we're 'that good' at English. I learnt it by 4th grade, which means I was 10 years old at the time, and in all honesty, it was boring as hell in the first couple of years! We would get assignments, and I would not do a single one of them. This was because I knew I could improvise, and whenever the teacher was asking me something about the daily lessons, I would just spew out the answer naturally.
    Speaking of today, the students learn it in the 3rd grade, which means we have 9 year olds going around talking English.

Right now, at the age of 20, I have had English for 9 years combined in school. I do no longer try to extend my horizon regarding learning new words, but rather try to take all of the American-English I have been taught, and place it right in the trash. I practice my British for a couple of hours each day, and try my best to use proper terms when in need. 9 years of American puts a toll on you, and it's not very easy to get rid of the slang/pronunciations. But those nine years are totally put to shame, when you compare it with the actual practice I have gone through. Every single day, I theoretically practice and learn English, as I spend well above 10 hours here on the internet. And if there's one thing the internet doesn't do for you, it's helping you having an easy time with your own language. And by that I'm of course talking about YouTube, Twitch, and even forums like this. Everything evolves around the English language, and if you do not speak this fluent, or at least semi-fluent, you're going to have an awful time..

Anyway, as per now I'm not really focused on the language anymore. Whenever I watch a video, read a post, or sends an email to one of those fishy scammers, I just type English as if it was my native language. It's only in times like this, when you're actually made aware of the awesomeness in being able to not only understand, but actually converse and express yourself in a foreign language, that you really start to feel blessed.

That is, however, just one thing. Being able to understand English, is a totally different thing than pronouncing everything right. And it's at this time that I feel ashamed to say, that we Danes have the worst possible background to doing this. Danish is so flat, and because of this we can have a hard time getting rid of our accent.

I'm really sorry about you never hearing a Dane speak English, so for your entertainment, I have attached a little Vocaroo link. But be aware! It contains a ton of Danish accent.. ;)
    http://vocaroo.com/i/s1fNEUGDy0tR
    I'm as sneaky as can be. None's sneakier than me.

Comment

Originally posted by Fox View Post
      Still sounds more American than English ;)

If I may give you some un-requested advice, I notice that you pronounced your "v" as a "w." I understand that v's are difficult for some languages to get the hang of, and they commonly replace it with a w, but I think you are better off replacing it with an f. An f is actually very similar to a v in the pronunciation. It's the same lip placement, with the difference being a blow with f, and a vibration with v. It's the same difference as the th in "think" and the th in "the." Though maybe that's a bad example because it sounds like you have trouble with that sound as well.

Comment

Originally posted by Stingy View Post
        I notice that you pronounced your "v" as a "w."
        The way it's pronounced sounds a bit like Magnus :)
        Magnús: - I have fans of all ages and I don't think it's weird when older people like LazyTown. LazyTown appeals to people for many different reasons: dancing, acrobatics, etc.

Comment

That is, however, just one thing. Being able to understand English, is a totally different thing than pronouncing everything right. And it's at this time that I feel ashamed to say, that we Danes have the worst possible background to doing this. Danish is so flat, and because of this we can have a hard time getting rid of our accent.

I'm really sorry about you never hearing a Dane speak English, so for your entertainment, I have attached a little Vocaroo link. But be aware! It contains a ton of Danish accent.. ;)
          http://vocaroo.com/i/s1fNEUGDy0tR
          I have no clue why you scandinavians are so perfect in english language...but I have a theory...like i.e. in the netherlands ppl are forced to watch undubbed movies or tv-series because no native dub is available there...over here almost everything is dubbed...even the "Exit" on a door will be translated ;)...and no worries Fox...everything sounds perfect for me...no one will blame you for a wrong pronouncing as long as your talking make sense...keep in mind that even the Americans or Britons can't speak their own language properly ;)...don't compare yourself with native speakers because the goal to speak like a native is almost unreachable unless you live in the country of your choice for a long long time to get rid of it but even then a native will allways recognize you as a foreigner...do you know a american or briton who speaks perfect danish and would you ever blame him for not being perfect?...I don't think so...sometimes speaking with an accent has a certain charme for native speakers...i.e. I like ppl when they speak with french accent because it sounds sexy in a special way...on the other side french ppl can't stand when foreigners can't speak their langauge properly and blame them for that...that's not nice...every effort to speak the native language is honorable no matter how it sounds like...
          Gallery

Comment

Still sounds more American than English ;)
            To be fair, I wasn't trying my best British accent for that recording. You gotta trust me when I say that I can be a lot more posh than that. Though I almost need tea and crumpets when trying that hard

If I may give you some un-requested advice, I notice that you pronounced your "v" as a "w." I understand that v's are difficult for some languages to get the hang of, and they commonly replace it with a w, but I think you are better off replacing it with an f. An f is actually very similar to a v in the pronunciation. It's the same lip placement, with the difference being a blow with f, and a vibration with v. It's the same difference as the th in "think" and the th in "the." Though maybe that's a bad example because it sounds like you have trouble with that sound as well.
            And you caught on to it right away! One would almost think that you were a native speaker... ;)
            Anyway, yes, those two things are definitely major set backs regarding loosing your accent. The Danish "v" is no where near as 'tuned' (or toned) as the English one. You can try to play around with the playback feature here, it gives a good insight in what I mean with Danish being 'flat'.

I also tried to play around with the idea of switching between my über Danish accent, and my best shot at a British one. Don't worry, this will be my last Vocaroo link, as I'm starting to feel a bit ashamed over how lame they are.. :oops:
            http://vocaroo.com/i/s0NxrBlTcTjV

Originally posted by LazyPooky View Post
            The way it's pronounced sounds a bit like Magnus :)
            That would make perfect sense, as Icelandic and Danish are not too far apart. Dutch and Danish are kinda the same, though Danes have an easier time understanding the Icelandic if I'm being honest..

Originally posted by Buzz View Post
            Down here almost everything is dubbed...even the "Exit" on a door will be translated ;)...
            Yep, that sounds like Germany! I'm in no way trying to be rude, but you Germans are actually super bitchy about your language. I was once at a toll booth in Germany, near the Danish border, and started speaking English to the older lady inside. And would you believe it, she answered me in freaking German! Normally this would be no big deal, as most Danes can speak German because of it being obligatory in school, but I, for one, actually chose French as opposed to the 99% others in my class.. So there I was, in Germany, trying to get around speaking German with a ton of English words. Needless to say, she was not impressed.
            do you know a american or briton who speaks perfect danish and would you ever blame him for not being perfect?...I don't think so...sometimes speaking with an accent has a certain charm for native speakers.
            That's a really good point actually, though it's hard for me to see why anyone not born in Denmark would learn Danish hahaha.

Anyway, I actually have a pretty funny story that goes with your last part!
            So, recently on my trip to the states, I spent about a week in Vegas. For those of you that doesn't know, Vegas has a ton of outlet malls located right on the outskirts of the 'city'.
            One of the days I decided to leave a little visit there, and get some of my obligatory shopping done. So I walk around the stores, and suddenly fall over a nice one. Pretty fancy clothing, and of cause a natural young vibe to it. I browse some of the clothing, and at some point end up with a bunch of stuff I decide to buy (who wouldn't at 70% off!?).
            So I go to the cashier, and what meets my eyes? A young cute girl standing there, ready to take my order. She looked like she was a couple of years older than me (maybe 3-4), so I just think to have this done with quick, and try not to embarrass myself too much by stumbling across my wording, and not being able to think of the proper term in time. Anyway, would you believe it - she's a talkative one..

She starts beeping in my stuff, and then tries to make a little small talk. I can only assume that she thought I was from town (really, I look like a hip Vegas-boy now?), and asks me how my day has been. I say something in the lines of "Pretty good, I visited "insert-Las-Vegas-attraction-here" today, and really had a blast."
            From the moment the words left my mouth, her eyes got really big, and she almost couldn't hold back the excitement.
            "Oh my God, where are you from!? Your accent is SO cute! You're British, aren't you!?! You GOTTA be British!"
            From there on, the conversation turned right around. I told her I was from Denmark, and we chatted for about 20 minutes. It turned out that she was going to Venice Beach in a weeks time (a place I had just been the previous week), so we talked about that. Then I told her I was going to San Francisco the next week, and she told me all about the city, and how I should make sure to visit Pier 39.
            I was really great, and if only I had had a longer period of time in Vegas, I'm sure we could have hung out some more.

And what's really makes this story, is that my accent actually started it all. So while I try my best to get rid of the "awful" Danish accent, it can actually benefit you at certain points in your life.. ;)

Comment

And what's really makes this story, is that my accent actually started it all. So while I try my best to get rid of the "awful" Danish accent, it can actually benefit you at certain points in your life.. ;)
              I hope this saucer eyed danish lady will never get rid of her "awful" accent ;)

Gallery

Comment

I hope this saucer eyed danish lady will never get rid of her "awful" accent ;)
                *Cringe*

Are you saying this is sweet music to your ears? This is EXACTLY what I'm trying to get rid off..

- - - Updated - - -

Oh dear, this is even more awkward than I first assumed... That blonde girl is so dumb.
                2:19 - "Whaaaat? That's some ****ing insane questions.."

Comment

It turned out that she was going to Venice Beach in a weeks time (a place I had just been the previous week), so we talked about that.
                  Went there once, forgot to put sunscreen on my feet, 2nd degree sunburns.

*Cringe*Are you saying this is sweet music to your ears? This is EXACTLY what I'm trying to get rid off..
                  She is struggling and has a very heavy accent, but like Buzz said earlier, if you can understand what she is saying, or trying to say, which I can, then it is fine.

Comment

*Cringe*
                    Are you saying this is sweet music to your ears? This is EXACTLY what I'm trying to get rid off..
                    Idk...wasn't focused on her chattering tbh ;)
                    Gallery

Comment

She is struggling and has a very heavy accent, but like Buzz said earlier, if you can understand what she is saying, or trying to say, which I can, then it is fine.
                      She mumbles a ton, and almost swallows the ending to all of her sentences.
                      Also; "There's coming a rainbow"...
                      *Shivers*

Idk...wasn't focused on her chattering tbh ;)
                      Oh you Buzz..
                      Even though Danish YouTubers can be a pain to watch, I still gotta agree that they are all exceptionally beau..:denmark:

Comment

Even though Danish YouTubers can be a pain to watch, I still gotta agree that they are all exceptionally beau..:denmark:
                        blue eyes + slight squint...sexy ;)...would bothering me though have this chick at home talking my head off
                        Gallery

Comment

blue eyes + slight squint...sexy ;)
                          Welcome to Denmark my friend! Literally the home to the worlds blue-eyed blonde girls ;)

would bothering me though have this chick at home talking my head off
                          Yeah, I know what you mean. Even though this girl is only 13 very young, she still seems like one of those that could be a pain after the initial shock of her stunning looks

Comment

blue eyes + slight squint...sexy ;)...would bothering me though have this chick at home talking my head off
                            That's why men invented pubs. To get away from the forever yaking girlfriend or wife. :)

Unfortunately they've invaded the pubs and pretty much every other public hideaway and now there's no escape :(
                            http://eighteenlightyearsago.ytmnd.com/

Comment

Originally posted by boredjedi View Post
                              Unfortunately they've invaded the pubs and pretty much every other public hideaway and now there's no escape :(
                              Which is why we have the internet.. ;)

Comment

Welcome to Denmark my friend! Literally the home to the worlds blue-eyed blonde girls ;)
                                once (in the early 90's) I spend my holidays over there but never noticed lol...didn't have much contact to natives though ;)...are you blue-eyed as well?

Even though this girl is only 13 very young
                                oh...uhm...ahem...forget my statement...she isn't sexy at all...maybe cute..yes that's what I wanted to say
                                Gallery

Comment

Working...
                                X