rotoscoping for the masses

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by boredjedi View Post
    Good thing I learned how to do all that stuff myself. Even without green screen, extracting foreground Steph in motion is a task but doable just need the time.
    I guess you cut Steph out of every frame by the lasso tool of your image editing program?...I did it too sometimes this way but it became annoying...why not using modern technology to save time...time you can use to be creative with all that new footage

Gallery

Comment

Originally posted by Buzz View Post

I guess you cut Steph out of every frame by the lasso tool of your image editing program?...I did it too sometimes this way but it became annoying...why not using modern technology to save time...time you can use to be creative with all that new footage

There's actually a rotoscoping tool in Adobe After effects that I was using most often. Wasn't 100% perfect but it did the job. It's worse when using a compressed source. The less compression on the clip the better it behaves.
      http://eighteenlightyearsago.ytmnd.com/

Comment

Originally posted by possessor of mine View Post

Imagine if LazyTown aired in the 1980s.. it would be somewhere from 240p?
        good point...idk wheter chroma keying was available in tv productions at this time or not...if not the entire idea of the lazytown design would fail then

Gallery

Comment

Originally posted by boredjedi View Post

There's actually a rotoscoping tool in Adobe After effects that I was using most often. Wasn't 100% perfect but it did the job. It's worse when using a compressed source. The less compression on the clip the better it behaves.
          I see...unfortunately my video edit program do not have this tool and I'm not familiar with adobe after effects that much and it's probably too late for me to get into it
          Gallery

Comment

It sounds like "rotoscoping" is a fancy word for "selecting" is that right?
            l i t t l e s t e p h e r s

Comment

if not the entire idea of the lazytown design would fail then
              Unless the team worked on painting the backgrounds. Then maybe the LT design would have a chance AND the episodes would take a lot more time.
              MY ACTION MOVIE REVIEW BLOG | MY SPORTACUS FAN-SITE

Comment

Originally posted by chuft View Post
                It sounds like "rotoscoping" is a fancy word for "selecting" is that right?
                Smart-ahh

Comment

post deleted because chuft made me realize how stupid it was

Comment

I think Buzz is talking about the green screen technique with the digitally generated backgrounds put in later, not the hi def resolution.

Comment

good point...idk wheter chroma keying was available in tv productions at this time or not...if not the entire idea of the lazytown design would fail then
                      Raymond Le Gué was the pioneer of virtual television and introduced that with chroma keying/green screen in LazyTown in 2004, experimenting with it in the years before. I saw some videos in the early stage of this technique and those were all in the late 90s. Weird enough with a blue screen. The first TV show edited entirely on the computer was in 1982 though, that was an animation.

Originally posted by possessor of mine View Post
                      and weirdl there's a 720P version on YouTube. Same with the 1985 movie, Breaskfast Club.
                      Ever heard of video upscaling? Can be done with AI too.
                      Magnús: - I have fans of all ages and I don't think it's weird when older people like LazyTown. LazyTown appeals to people for many different reasons: dancing, acrobatics, etc.

Comment

Remember this blue-screen movie?

Sky Captain and the World of Tomorrow

Comment

Originally posted by chuft View Post
                          Remember this blue-screen movie?

Sky Captain and the World of Tomorrow
                          As far as I can see, only the trailer was made in b/w with a blue-screen background. I can't figure out if the film was made that way, that remains a vague story.
                          There are different types of virtual production techniques, such as shooting the live action directly with a CGI background, in stead of adding the CGI with green-or blue screen:

Click image for larger version

Name:	cgi-background.jpg
Views:	165
Size:	200.8 KB
ID:	185253

Here is a snapshot of blue-screen virtual production technique around 1998/99. Somehow the end result is also b/w (CGI and actors)

Click image for larger version

Name:	cgi-blue-screen-bw.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	74.9 KB
ID:	185254
                          Magnús: - I have fans of all ages and I don't think it's weird when older people like LazyTown. LazyTown appeals to people for many different reasons: dancing, acrobatics, etc.

Comment

It sounds to me like the entire movie was blue screen except for one office scene

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sky_Ca...Pre-production

Comment

Fox posted this video recently elsewhere, but it's on-topic again, so I'll repost haha. The vfx YouTuber Captain Disillusion has a great video going over chromakeying and in part explains how green screens became more prevalent that blue. tldr, it's because our monkey eyes love green because the earth is green.

Resolution is another topic he has covered with LazyTown getting a small shoutout :)

Comment

Working...
                              X