• Victoria
    Owner of GetLazy
    SPECIAL MEMBER
    Level 28 - Friend For Life
    • Apr 2007

Re: Tik Tak

Originally posted by Ultra Magnus
    Originally posted by Xizer
    Transcoding is a term only used for lossy-to-lossy conversions.

Converting from FLAC to MP3 for example is only called converting.
    Misuse of the word doesn't change its meaning.
    Wide misuse of a word DOES change its meaning. I don't think you understand the concept of language, so I'll explain it to you. Language is a human construct that evolves over a time. When the majority of those who speak it change a word's definition so that it means something else, they have altered its meaning. Transcoding is becoming used so often to mean simply lossy to lossy conversion that its meaning is changing.

That's just how it works. Language evolves, and so do the definitions of words that go along with it. That is why today, reading Shakespeare's plays is torture because they don't make a whole lot of sense in today's language, even though they were written around 400 years ago. In 400 years, English has evolved enough to make Shakespeare's plays sound awkward and strange without study.

"****" was not even considered vulgar until the 1600s.

Comment

• Ultra Magnus
      SPECIAL MEMBER
      Level 29 - Villain Number One
      • May 2007

Originally posted by Ultra Magnus
      Transcoding is a term only used for lossy-to-lossy conversions.

Converting from FLAC to MP3 for example is only called converting.
      Misuse of the word doesn't change its meaning.
      Wide misuse of a word DOES change its meaning. I don't think you understand the concept of language, so I'll explain it to you.
      Well, thank you for being so generous as to take the time to bestow your own wisdom onto one as simple as myself.

But no, it doesn't change the base meaning of the word, just provides it with a certain connotation when it is used within a certain context.

Besides, as nindanjoe pointed out, you are contradicted by your own source.

Comment

• Ultra Magnus
        SPECIAL MEMBER
        Level 29 - Villain Number One
        • May 2007

By the way, that's why I deliberately included to examples transcribe and transport.
        Nobody says scribe anymore, and the term transport is rarely used in relation to actual ports, but that's what the words mean.

But whatever, you win.
        I'm going to bed.

Comment

• merlin55
          SPECIAL MEMBER
          Level 16 - Sportaposter
          • Apr 2007

Nindanjoe!!! You've made my day!!!! thankyou sooo much!!!!! ^_^ thankyou thankyou thankyou

...this makes up for my car being covered in mustard......long story.

Comment

• Victoria
            Owner of GetLazy
            SPECIAL MEMBER
            Level 28 - Friend For Life
            • Apr 2007

Originally posted by merlin55
            Nindanjoe!!! You've made my day!!!! thankyou sooo much!!!!! ^_^ thankyou thankyou thankyou

...this makes up for my car being covered in mustard......long story.
            Make a shitty thread in General Discussion and tell us about it.

Comment

• nindanjoe
              Former Moderator
              SPECIAL MEMBER
              Level 27 - Little Pink Poster
              • Apr 2007

You're welcome, merlin55. Glad I was able to help. It was a bit fun for me, I was actually able to hunt down something rare! :)

Comment

• merlin55
                SPECIAL MEMBER
                Level 16 - Sportaposter
                • Apr 2007

Originally posted by nindanjoe
                You're welcome, merlin55. Glad I was able to help. It was a bit fun for me, I was actually able to hunt down something rare! :)
                Now track down the rest of those Bing Bang Remixes nobody can find...hahah we've all been trying for years...lol.

Comment

• nindanjoe
                  Former Moderator
                  SPECIAL MEMBER
                  Level 27 - Little Pink Poster
                  • Apr 2007

Originally posted by merlin55
                  Originally posted by nindanjoe
                  Now track down the rest of those Bing Bang Remixes nobody can find...hahah we've all been trying for years...lol.
                  Easier said than done. The good this is, the Housebuilder's stuff is actually Máni's group, so it won't make things easier. But at least we know. :)

About the language thing, we have a choice in changing it or keeping the original meaning. For some reason, you made the choice in deciding that the MP3s I downloaded from eMule were transcodes (your definition). Why is that? Apply some critical thinking and it doesn't make much sense. Would the scene release transcodes like that? Would any proper pirate do such a thing? Those pirates take great care in having the best quality they can get out of their medium, so why would they convert an MP3 to yet another MP3? Or whatever example you will have.

Now, the site you gave me before said that they only allow one transcode from a lossless, or original source, to lossy format, MP3 in this case. It seems to me they're keeping the original definition of the word. Essentially, if someone does a transcode by your definition, they're actually doing a second transcode by the defintion that topic creator had and the current meaning of the word.

Comment

Working...