Harry Potter News. (Spoilers possible, if you care.)

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • sylvanas
    GETLAZY MEMBER
    Level 9 - Energy Poster
    • Apr 2007

Harry Potter News. (Spoilers possible, if you care.)

So, JK admits that Dumbledore is gay. She took a stand against the moviemakers when they were going to throw in references to some girl he liked in his youth.

That's all well and good, but my question? Why didn't she have the spine to have it revealed in the ACTUAL series text? She claims she doesn't care what religious nutjobs think about her series, yet turns the end of the last book into a sort of appeasing Christ metaphor, and omits this jem, which might actually have a positive residual effect on the opinions of readers.

But torture and cutting people's arms off and graphic death are a-ok.

...this reminds me of why I gave up on the HP fandom after book 3. 9_9
  • moomoo
    Trixie's ToyBoy
    SPECIAL MEMBER
    Level 27 - Little Pink Poster
    • Apr 2007

Re: Harry Potter News. (Spoilers possible, if you care.)

I guess it's not in the books because it doesn't matter for the story.

Comment

• kelly
      SPECIAL MEMBER
      Level 19 - Secret Friend
      • Apr 2007

Originally posted by moomoo
      I guess it's not in the books because it doesn't matter for the story.
      Now, I haven't read book 7, but the interview mentions his history with Grindelwald, and apparently he didn't realise he was evil as soon as he should have because he was in love with him, and seemingly from the discussions there was a minor explosion of Dumbledore/Grindelwald shippers after book 7, so the book clearly mentioned the relationship, it just didn't tell the reader what was really going on.

Comment

• CmdrLuke
        SPECIAL MEMBER
        Level 23 - Pixel's Assistant
        • May 2007

I'm the definition of a religious nutjob, and I am not appeased by the ending whatsoever. This news makes a book I don't like even more disliked by me.

Comment

• boredjedi
          Master
          SPECIAL MEMBER
          Level 35 - Rockin' Poster
          • Jun 2007

Probably just a statement to generate more publicity.

I have my suspicions about Gandalf too.
          http://eighteenlightyearsago.ytmnd.com/

Comment

• Victoria
            Owner of GetLazy
            SPECIAL MEMBER
            Level 28 - Friend For Life
            • Apr 2007

I guess that's why Dumbledore was the Hogwarts headmaster.

Comment

• sylvanas
              GETLAZY MEMBER
              Level 9 - Energy Poster
              • Apr 2007

They mention a friendship, and excitement about future possibilities in governmental planning and such. No feelings for each other are ever mentioned, in any way or form. I normally pick up on such things, even when the signs aren't meant to direct the reader's thoughts in that direction.

The "it doesn't advance the story" bit doesn't get me, either. She makes a definite point to let everyone know about the hetero-normative relationships and interests of nearly every character. Tonks and Remus. Harry and Cho, and then Ginny, the self-insert. Hermione and Ron. Cedric and Cho. Everywhere you turn, there's official pairings sprouting up. She even had to throw in a fluffy "Snape loved Lily sooooooooooooo much!" bit at the end, just because of the speculations about him.

They mention eight gabillion straight pairings that have nothing to do with the plot, and often involve minor characters.

Raz isn't convinced in the slightest.

Comment

• Sir Finkus
                SPECIAL MEMBER
                Level 19 - Secret Friend
                • Apr 2007

Originally posted by sylvanas
                They mention a friendship, and excitement about future possibilities in governmental planning and such. No feelings for each other are ever mentioned, in any way or form. I normally pick up on such things, even when the signs aren't meant to direct the reader's thoughts in that direction.

The "it doesn't advance the story" bit doesn't get me, either. She makes a definite point to let everyone know about the hetero-normative relationships and interests of nearly every character. Tonks and Remus. Harry and Cho, and then Ginny, the self-insert. Hermione and Ron. Cedric and Cho. Everywhere you turn, there's official pairings sprouting up. She even had to throw in a fluffy "Snape loved Lily sooooooooooooo much!" bit at the end, just because of the speculations about him.

They mention eight gabillion straight pairings that have nothing to do with the plot, and often involve minor characters.

Raz isn't convinced in the slightest.
                You may want to rephrase that

Comment

• Zokita
                  SPECIAL MEMBER
                  Level 27 - Little Pink Poster
                  • Apr 2007

Hehe.

This is really awesome, and the fans suspected this way before she confirmed it. Quite frankly, I had some suspicions too, and those hippie outfits in the movies didn't do anything to alleviate them. The Dumbledore/Grindlewald subtext was immediately picked up by the fans when DH was released, so it was definitely alluded to in canon.

In retrospect, this makes all the fandom wanks about 'OMG JKR HATES GAYS' so much funnier. They always complained about how she seemed to be forcing heteronormativity down everyones' throats by making every main character straight (they were especially angry about Remus/Tonks and the pics of girls in Sirius' room). And now Dumbledore is gay. Hurrah!

Comment

Working...