• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Sleepwalker
    GETLAZY MEMBER
    Level 6 - Stingy Poster
    • Feb 2010

Re: Jung Typology Test

Modern psychology is empirically based for the most part, but when you get into psychodynamics, Jungian psychology, and such, it's more like philosophy.

From my General Psychology university text:
    "POPULAR PERSONALITY TESTS
    Unscientific tests are hugely popular but only objective tests of personality are scientifically valid. Example: Myers-Briggs Type Indicator. Not reliable. Does not predict behavior on the job or in relationships."

Damn. Yet the article bungie posted on INFPs in childhood and adolescence described me perfectly. Could just be that I fell into a rainbow ruse, though.

Comment

• Lily_Kaelar
      SPECIAL MEMBER
      Level 26 - Roboticus
      • May 2007

Originally posted by Stingy
      Your Type is
      INTJ

Introverted Intuitive Thinking Judging
      67 62 1 1
      I'm about one letter off from you, but completely different with the numbers. And rather than a "mastermind," I am quite the protagonist, activist, and writer...

My Type is INFJ

Introverted Intuitive Feeling Judging
      22 38 75 1

I like this link better than the "Counselor" description, but meh:

http://typelogic.com/infj.html

Counselors have an exceptionally strong desire to contribute to the welfare of others, and find great personal fulfillment interacting with people, nurturing their personal development, guiding them to realize their human potential. Although they are happy working at jobs (such as writing) that require solitude and close attention, Counselors do quite well with individuals or groups of people, provided that the personal interactions are not superficial, and that they find some quiet, private time every now and then to recharge their batteries. Counselors are both kind and positive in their handling of others; they are great listeners and seem naturally interested in helping people with their personal problems. Not usually visible leaders, Counselors prefer to work intensely with those close to them, especially on a one-to-one basis, quietly exerting their influence behind the scenes.

Counselors are scarce, little more than one percent of the population, and can be hard to get to know, since they tend not to share their innermost thoughts or their powerful emotional reactions except with their loved ones. They are highly private people, with an unusually rich, complicated inner life. Friends or colleagues who have known them for years may find sides emerging which come as a surprise. Not that Counselors are flighty or scattered; they value their integrity a great deal, but they have mysterious, intricately woven personalities which sometimes puzzle even them.

Counselors tend to work effectively in organizations. They value staff harmony and make every effort to help an organization run smoothly and pleasantly. They understand and use human systems creatively, and are good at consulting and cooperating with others. As employees or employers, Counselors are concerned with people's feelings and are able to act as a barometer of the feelings within the organization.

Blessed with vivid imaginations, Counselors are often seen as the most poetical of all the types, and in fact they use a lot of poetic imagery in their everyday language. Their great talent for language-both written and spoken-is usually directed toward communicating with people in a personalized way. Counselors are highly intuitive and can recognize another's emotions or intentions - good or evil - even before that person is aware of them. Counselors themselves can seldom tell how they came to read others' feelings so keenly. This extreme sensitivity to others could very well be the basis of the Counselor's remarkable ability to experience a whole array of psychic phenomena.

Mohandas Gandhi, Sidney Poitier, Eleanor Roosevelt, Jane Goodall, Emily Bronte, Sir Alec Guiness, Carl Jung, Mary Baker Eddy, Queen Noor are examples of the Counselor Idealist (INFJ).

Comment

• Lily_Kaelar
        SPECIAL MEMBER
        Level 26 - Roboticus
        • May 2007

Comment

• Zokita
          SPECIAL MEMBER
          Level 27 - Little Pink Poster
          • Apr 2007

Apparently I'm an ISFJ (but very weak on the S, one answer differently and I'd be a INFJ). Self-critical, orderly, overly invested in other peoples' problems. They make good police, counselors, and data-workers---which is great, because most of the careers I'm considering are in there.

ISFJs need positive feedback from others. In the absence of positive feedback, or in the face of criticism, the ISFJ gets discouraged, and may even become depressed. When down on themselves or under great stress, the ISFJ begins to imagine all of the things that might go critically wrong in their life. They have strong feelings of inadequacy, and become convinced that "everything is all wrong", or "I can't do anything right".

...yup, me. Famous ISFJs: Mother Theresa and Louisa May Alcott. And...knowing what I know about Mother Theresa, I'm scared.

Comment

• Lily_Kaelar
            SPECIAL MEMBER
            Level 26 - Roboticus
            • May 2007

Which part about her?

Comment

• Zokita
              SPECIAL MEMBER
              Level 27 - Little Pink Poster
              • Apr 2007

Well...I'm a bit uncomfortable with her description of suffering as a gift from God, and the focus on converting her sick into Christians squicks me as attacking the vulnerable. It's said that her clinics were full of love, true, and I value that. I'm just not sure how protected her clients actually were---I've heard accounts that most of the money she collected went to opening Christian missions, not caring for her sick.

If I opened a clinic like that, I'd be a leftist marshmallow who would dispense medication and tell people to derive comfort from whatever they wanted to, or reflect if they choose to. They'd be free to believe or not believe and I'd never pressure them. And any money outside of operation expenses would be for hygiene, treatments, and comfort.

I know faith is valuable and that many believe people will go to hell if they don't convert, but I guess I just don't agree.

Comment

• Rowan
                Magic
                SPECIAL MEMBER
                Level 17 - Ghost Stopper
                • Nov 2009

I'm an INFP and I can't really argue with any of it.

Comment

• LazyTownWW
                  Moralist
                  SPECIAL MEMBER
                  Level 28 - Friend For Life
                  • Jun 2009

Originally posted by Zokita
                  Well...I'm a bit uncomfortable with her description of suffering as a gift from God, and the focus on converting her sick into Christians squicks me as attacking the vulnerable. It's said that her clinics were full of love, true, and I value that. I'm just not sure how protected her clients actually were---I've heard accounts that most of the money she collected went to opening Christian missions, not caring for her sick.

If I opened a clinic like that, I'd be a leftist marshmallow who would dispense medication and tell people to derive comfort from whatever they wanted to, or reflect if they choose to. They'd be free to believe or not believe and I'd never pressure them. And any money outside of operation expenses would be for hygiene, treatments, and comfort.

I know faith is valuable and that many believe people will go to hell if they don't convert, but I guess I just don't agree.
                  Oh come on, she is a ****ing saint. I don't see most rich people doing what she did. If she made people feel attracted to catholicism, who cares. it's not like she forced them.
                  I wish I would hear people smearing Bill Gates, Green Peace or UNICEF with shit as they do with religious-motivated charities. But I never ever do. Guess the amount of bias some suffer from.
                  BACK ONTOPIC
                  I'm not sure how accurate this test is, from all the results people here are getting...

Comment

• Glanni's Girl
                    SPECIAL MEMBER
                    Level 35 - Rockin' Poster
                    • Jan 2010

Originally posted by LazyTownWW
                    I wish I would hear people smearing Bill Gates
                    I VISTA Hate VISTA Bill VISTA Gates
                    I'm not sure how accurate this test is, from all the results people here are getting...
                    Agreed
                    Getur einhver annar verið Glanni ? það bara passar ekki
                    Stefan Karl Stefansson, það er enginn eins og þú!

Comment

• StingX
                      ROTTEN MEMBER
                      Level 35 - Rockin' Poster
                      • Mar 2009

Not TOO teribly. From what I can recall from psyche class, the original test is a few hundred questions long, and even then the validity is almost proportionate to the subject's human bias.

Comment

• Rowan
                        Magic
                        SPECIAL MEMBER
                        Level 17 - Ghost Stopper
                        • Nov 2009

Actually, I take back what I said because I read about INFJ and it seems more appropriate.

But how subjective is this sort of stuff? If they're accepting and recognising a personality type like this, does that mean they think it's okay? What if you don't like one of your traits and want to change it, do you just become another one? I'm sure psychologists aren't stupid enough to think of it rigidly but the more I think about it the less I like the idea of it saying, "you ARE this and there's nothing you can do about it".

Comment

• LazyTownWW
                          Moralist
                          SPECIAL MEMBER
                          • Jun 2009

I mean myself, a friend of mine and Lily from here got the same result...me and that other guy are worlds apart, except for a few interests we share...as for me and Sam, well, at a first glance so far, we are also worlds apart.
                          This just shows (me atleast) that there is something wrong with it.

Comment

• Rowan
                            Magic
                            SPECIAL MEMBER
                            Level 17 - Ghost Stopper
                            • Nov 2009

I mean myself, a friend of mine and Lily from here got the same result...me and that other guy are worlds apart, except for a few interests we share...as for me and Sam, well, at a first glance so far, we are also worlds apart.
                            Well, there's no possible way someone could make a psychology test that was totally right about everything all the time. I guess it's just meant to give an idea, because almost everyone will find some things right and some things wrong with the result they get.

I just would like to know how psychologists actually use it and how it relates to whether someone's particular traits are "good" or "bad"...

Comment

• LazyTownWW
                              Moralist
                              SPECIAL MEMBER
                              • Jun 2009

Originally posted by Rowan
                              Well, there's no possible way someone could make a psychology test that was totally right about everything all the time. I guess it's just meant to give an idea, because almost everyone will find some things right and some things wrong with the result they get.

I just would like to know how psychologists actually use it and how it relates to whether someone's particular traits are "good" or "bad"...
                              As it has been said here before, this is just an amateour test, not something professional...then again, I dought how "professional" psichology can get in general. Maybee I am wrong though.

Comment

• Rowan
                                Magic
                                SPECIAL MEMBER
                                Level 17 - Ghost Stopper
                                • Nov 2009

Originally posted by Rowan

As it has been said here before, this is just an amateour test, not something professional...then again, I dought how "professional" psichology can get in general. Maybee I am wrong though.
                                Maybe the online test isn't, the results were thought up by and are studied by professionals. I do think psychology is quite an important profession, but I'd really like more insight into how they use all the studies and personality types and whatever.

Comment

Working...