No announcement yet.

Osama Bin Laden is dead

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My brother was working at the WTC both times (1993 and 2001) that it was attacked. He was in one of the main towers in 1993, and in Building 7 (which burned to the ground) the second time. He made it out of there fortunately, was one of those people running in the street when a tower collapsed and that white cloud of stuff enveloped everyone. Saw and heard some bad things. He eventually made it home to New Jersey (bridges were closed, trains shut down) late that night, covered in that white dust, looking like a ghost. Cell phones were not much of a thing back then, his family had no word from him for a long time, as you can imagine phone lines were jammed.

Who would guess working at an office building in Manhattan would be more dangerous than his time in the Navy (where he commanded a P-3 Orion carrying nuclear depth charges and tracking Soviet subs in the Pacific) ?

I was late to work on 9/11 and was driving when I heard on the radio that a plane had hit one of the towers. This wasn't THAT unusual, a B-17 bomber flew into the World Trade Center by accident in the 1930's. When the other one hit - that was chilling, because it meant something deliberate was going on. We had streaming CNN on our computers at work and watched the rest of the situation unfold. Both towers were still standing when I got there, I think everybody assumed the fires were going to be put out, because it wasn't like the entire building was on fire or anything. When the first one fell, it was shocking.

I remember some years before, when an expert predicted international terrorism was going to come to the US soon, like it existed in Ireland/UK, the Middle East etc but nobody really took it seriously. (Internal terrorism already existed and always had, like the all-too-common burning of Black churches - knew a security guy who had worked for the feds in anti-domestic-terrorism.)
    l i t t l e s t e p h e r s

Comment

Yeah it was crazy. I wasn't down there at the time but I watched it all unfold from the back room window which has a direct unobstructed view of downtown. I've always intended to go to the top for the view. Told my Nephew good thing I didn't pick that day. Glad he survived it.

Here's the weird part. March 4, 2001 the Pilot Episode Aired for the X-Files spin off show The Lone Gunmen. Start at 33:18 minutes....

http://eighteenlightyearsago.ytmnd.com/

Comment

Wow that's downright eerie.

Comment

Originally posted by chuft View Post
          Wow that's downright eerie.
          Very eerie. It was a pretty good show overall. Pity it got cancelled after just 1 season.
          http://eighteenlightyearsago.ytmnd.com/

Comment

I thought that in the X-Files, they got killed. I was going to use a spoiler tag, but I can't find one. Also, the show is 30 years old at this point.

Comment

Originally posted by chuft View Post
              My brother was working at the WTC both times (1993 and 2001) that it was attacked. He was in one of the main towers in 1993, and in Building 7 (which burned to the ground) the second time. He made it out of there fortunately, was one of those people running in the street when a tower collapsed and that white cloud of stuff enveloped everyone. Saw and heard some bad things. He eventually made it home to New Jersey (bridges were closed, trains shut down) late that night, covered in that white dust, looking like a ghost. Cell phones were not much of a thing back then, his family had no word from him for a long time, as you can imagine phone lines were jammed.

Who would guess working at an office building in Manhattan would be more dangerous than his time in the Navy (where he commanded a P-3 Orion carrying nuclear depth charges and tracking Soviet subs in the Pacific) ?

I was late to work on 9/11 and was driving when I heard on the radio that a plane had hit one of the towers. This wasn't THAT unusual, a B-17 bomber flew into the World Trade Center by accident in the 1930's. When the other one hit - that was chilling, because it meant something deliberate was going on. We had streaming CNN on our computers at work and watched the rest of the situation unfold. Both towers were still standing when I got there, I think everybody assumed the fires were going to be put out, because it wasn't like the entire building was on fire or anything. When the first one fell, it was shocking.

I remember some years before, when an expert predicted international terrorism was going to come to the US soon, like it existed in Ireland/UK, the Middle East etc but nobody really took it seriously. (Internal terrorism already existed and always had, like the all-too-common burning of Black churches - knew a security guy who had worked for the feds in anti-domestic-terrorism.)
              That's scary as hell.. is he still alive to this day?? God 9/11 ruined all of us. New York, our brains, Earth. HOWEVER one part makes no sense. How did the WTC get crashed in the 1930s when it finished construction in 1973?
              MY ACTION MOVIE REVIEW BLOG | MY SPORTACUS FAN-SITE

Comment

Yes he is alive. Sorry that was a mistake, I meant to write the Empire State Building, which is also a famous NYC landmark whose name is three words. Was rushing to type before I left for work.

Also I got the details wrong, it was a B-25, not a B-17, and it was in 1945, not the 1930s.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1945_E...ing_B-25_crash

I know it's odd for you but a lot of the things in my head are pre-internet age and I heard or read them somewhere, there was no way to easily look them up later. Now that the internet exists and I can easily and freely look things up (I remember when legal databases alone cost $300 an hour to use and that was in 1980's dollars), it's odd to see all the things that I "knew" that were actually wrong or off somehow.

Comment

Working...
                X