• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Victoria
    Owner of GetLazy
    SPECIAL MEMBER
    Level 28 - Friend For Life
    • Apr 2007

There is a lot more to worry about than some guy on some random radio show calling someone a nappy headed ho.

Besides the fact that there is nothing racist about that statement, there are hundreds of incidents on television daily that could be considered more racist than that. Hell, there's a whole TV channel dedicated to racism. It's called BET. I was flipping past that channel the other day and there was some guy going on about "crackers."

Anyone who gets offended by "nappy headed hoes" is retarded and I am glad they got offended.

Comment

• kelly
      SPECIAL MEMBER
      Level 19 - Secret Friend
      • Apr 2007

And if I'm offended by the sexism ('ho' is a derivative of 'whore', in other words a slur suggesting that female is a sex worker and therefore worthless)? If I'm offended by your ablism?

Comment

• Victoria
        Owner of GetLazy
        SPECIAL MEMBER
        • Apr 2007

Originally posted by kelly
        And if I'm offended by the sexism ('ho' is a derivative of 'whore', in other words a slur suggesting that female is a sex worker and therefore worthless)? If I'm offended by your ablism?
        I fail to see how Mr. Imus messing around and calling someone a nappy headed ho is the equivalent of favoring non-handicapped people?

How are you still on the Internet if you get offended by this?

I mean, how do you go by in a typical day at school? People talk like this all the time! "Oh, that girl is a slut! What a fag!, etc." Should all of these people be expelled?

What about TV shows? At least 80% of television would be off the air if a show got canceled every time someone said something that might offend somebody.

I think this can be best summarized as: Political correctness is bullshit. If there's serious racism going on, like some guy like Hal Turner goes on and rants about niggers, I can see how that could be a problem.

Don Imus was joking, just as I was joking with my commie post.

Comment

• kelly
          SPECIAL MEMBER
          Level 19 - Secret Friend
          • Apr 2007

Originally posted by Xizer
          I mean, how do you go by in a typical day at school? People talk like this all the time! "Oh, that girl is a slut! What a fag!, etc." Should all of these people be expelled?
          I'm an adult. I'm studying at a adult education facility. Mature people don't talk like that for the most part, and if they did and offended me, I could make an official complaint. At school, I kept my head down and my mouth shut, which didn't stop me being labeled a dyke.
          The abilism of yours I was complaining about was your statement that people who were offended are 'retarded'. I have an aunt who is 'retarded', though I usually refer to her as intellectually disabled. She probably wouldn't find it offensive if the situation were explained to her, because she's not smart enough to understand intersecting oppressions.

Comment

• moomoo
            Trixie's ToyBoy
            SPECIAL MEMBER
            Level 27 - Little Pink Poster
            • Apr 2007

I completely agree. And justifying insults by hiding behind 'freedom of speech' is ridiculous.

Comment

• Victoria
              Owner of GetLazy
              SPECIAL MEMBER
              • Apr 2007

Originally posted by CJVercetti
              Okay, I gotta say; I'm sick of people going around shouting "Freedom of Speech" and thinking it gives them the right to say what ever the heck they want. It doesn't. There's limits to the Freedom of Speech, just like all rights. Your rights end where mine begin. I do think Imus should've been punished, but he should not have been fired. They could've moved his show from "Imus in the Morning" to "Imus at 4am." No one wants the 4am slot! MSNBC over reacted.

Also stop this "cesorship is un-American" B.S. If I'm flipping through the channels with my son, Sergio (yeah that's what I'm going to name him), and I hear someone shouting the F word he's going to pick that up. It's his right and mine NOT to be subjected to it. I know the old, "so turn it off" thing; but when you're flipping through the channels you can still hear sound (depending on the TV and how fast you're flipping). Why shouldn't it be censored so all he hears is "bleep" instead of the F word?
              I am disturbed and horrified that people actually think this way. It is not your "right" to be subjected to a damn thing. Television is a privilege. Nowhere in the Constitution does it say that you have a right to have all television programming constructed to your moral specifications, irregardless of what the 300,000,000 other people in this country want.

That is all. I have nothing more to contribute to this topic. :|

Comment

• Victoria
                Owner of GetLazy
                SPECIAL MEMBER
                • Apr 2007

I am disturbed and horrified that people actually think this way. It is not your "right" to be subjected to a damn thing. Television is a privilege. Nowhere in the Constitution does it say that you have a right to have all television programming constructed to your moral specifications, irregardless of what the 300,000,000 other people in this country want.

That is all. I have nothing more to contribute to this topic. :|
                You need to re read what I wrote. I clearly stated if I hear someone shouting the F word he's going to pick that up. It's his right and mine NOT to be subjected to it.
                You need to re read what I wrote. I clearly stated Nowhere in the Constitution does it say that you have a right to have all television programming constructed to your moral specifications, irregardless of what the 300,000,000 other people in this country want.

Comment

• Victoria
                  Owner of GetLazy
                  SPECIAL MEMBER
                  • Apr 2007

You're right, I skimmed what you said. However, going back to "Censorship is un-American;" the Government has the right to regulate TV. The Government chooses to censor it. You're against Censorship. Therefore, you're against the Governent. This in turn makes you un-American.
                  If you couldn't tell from my post about being un-American that I wasn't being serious then I think you need some assistance in the humour department.

Comment

• Victoria
                    Owner of GetLazy
                    SPECIAL MEMBER
                    • Apr 2007

Sarcasm is impossible to detect on the internet.

Anyway, since I'm paying for my cable it is a service, therefore it's my right to view television. If it were free, it'd be a privilege. You see my friend, the constitution has these things called, "IMPLIED LAWS." Ever hear of them? Probably not. It doesn't have to say specifically, it's up to the Supreme Court to interpret the implied laws.

Because you are paying for cable is exactly the reason why it does not have to be censored, according to the Supreme Court.

We're not debating a right to view television. You don't have the right to decide what can be broadcast on television, yet you think you do, and I find that to be most disagreeable.

Comment

• Victoria
                      Owner of GetLazy
                      SPECIAL MEMBER
                      • Apr 2007

I still don't see the downside to Censorship. The only cons I can think of are sometimes you hear a little beep noise, and you can't see "teh boobiez." :|
                      Which is precisely why I am horrified that you are not the only one who thinks like this.

Comment

• Victoria
                        Owner of GetLazy
                        SPECIAL MEMBER
                        • Apr 2007

I still don't see the downside to Censorship. The only cons I can think of are sometimes you hear a little beep noise, and you can't see "teh boobiez." :|
                        Which is precisely why I am horrified that you are not the only one who thinks like this.
                        Still waiting on the downside...
                        Censorship, the control of speech and other forms of human expression.

Do you know why censorship is bad? Because right now, I could say that I disapprove of your opinions, and therefore I could remove all your posts on this forum, and thusly, censor you.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Censorship

You should be glad that Edis and I disapprove of censorship. These forums are incredibly lax because of this, and you are free to express yourself.

Comment

• Sir Finkus
                          SPECIAL MEMBER
                          Level 19 - Secret Friend
                          • Apr 2007

Censorship, the control of speech and other forms of human expression.

Do you know why censorship is bad? Because right now, I could say that I disapprove of your opinions, and therefore I could remove all your posts on this forum, and thusly, censor you.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Censorship

You should be glad that Edis and I disapprove of censorship. These forums are incredibly lax because of this, and you are free to express yourself.
                          QFT

Comment

• Jirojin
                            GETLAZY MEMBER
                            Level 10 - LazyTowner
                            • Apr 2007

*easing tension*

Comment

• ForGreatJustin
                              Former Moderator
                              SPECIAL MEMBER
                              • Apr 2007

Jirojin is my hero.

Comment

• Zafa
                                SPECIAL MEMBER
                                • Apr 2007

Violent Video Games ruins kids lives! Look at me for example! No one can argue against this!

Just joking, I love my life! No life = Awesome! WHOS WITH ME!

Comment

Working...