Official Politics Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Mosheddy
    congratulations to safa for voicing some opinions finally and i like his candidate....OH WHAT THE HELL
    I never said anyone was my candidate, I need to look at everyones lol

Comment

I'm not too keen on anyone so far. Hillary wants to ban my Evil Black Rifle. Obama wants me to pay for health care for fat people. Non of the Republicans strike me as really standing up for what the Republican party used to represent (small government and personal responsibility.) I'll have to do more research to find a candidate worth voting for. Here's what I'm looking for on various issues:

lol Gun control: Must support second amendment. I carry a gun and doing so provides me with a paycheck, plus I'm an avid recreational pistol/rifle shooter.
      lol Big Government: Should be against it.
      lol Health Care: Health care should be the responsibility of the individual, not the government.
      lol Abortion: Don't care, doesn't affect me.
      lol Gay Rights: Don't care, doesn't affect me.
      lol Global Warming: Really, is there much we can do about it? Probably not, unless we reduced the world's population significantly or if the world suddenly reverted to a pre-industrialized age. Personally, I just don't want to pay a higher gas tax.

Comment

Tommy Thompson
        Unless he backed out already.

Comment

im not american
          Thank God. At least this country has something going right for it.

The list xizer gave is exactly the reasons I love reblicans in the first place. They don't pussy-foot around mundane political issues like gay marriage and global warming to gain the peoples vote and instead get the job done. Sorry zokita, if it seems I'm bullying you but my blood is boiling >=P
          Oh yeah, it's all fun and games when you aren't a citizen of the country that you get to see turned to shit.

Zokita, its the governmental butchering of religious marriage which has caused this fault, and yes it does intrude heavily on religious practice. There are many ways to get around the "tax breaks and other legal rights" that don't even involve marriage. Freedom of religion is not freedom to butcher religion.
          Perhaps if you people were informed, you would note that none of the Democratic candidates are advocating full blown gay marriage, but rather, "civil unions." The exception being Mr. Kucinich.

You CANNOT compare racial segregation to homo/heterosexual segregation. For instance, you can tell the colour of a persons skin simply by looking at them but wouldnt know any self-respecting homosexual unless you got to know them more personally. Also, racial segregation still exists today regardless of how tolerant people are of eachother these days and multiple laws put in place.
          Oh, I see. So just because we can't look at them and identify them as different they don't deserve protections from being discriminated against?

From your post I'd have to conclude that you are a homophobe. Let's have a look at some of the fine, outstanding communities in the world that have homophobic tendencies, shall we?

Ahh, Africa and the Middle East. Wonderful, remarkable crowning examples of human intellect and achievement. America must continue to strive to be more like these countries, instead of like all other first world nations, which at least allow civil unions.

Comment

Originally posted by kallikak
            I'm not too keen on anyone so far. Hillary wants to ban my Evil Black Rifle. Obama wants me to pay for health care for fat people. Non of the Republicans strike me as really standing up for what the Republican party used to represent (small government and personal responsibility.) I'll have to do more research to find a candidate worth voting for. Here's what I'm looking for on various issues:

lol Gun control: Must support second amendment. I carry a gun and doing so provides me with a paycheck, plus I'm an avid recreational pistol/rifle shooter.
            lol Health Care: Health care should be the responsibility of the individual, not the government.
            lol Global Warming: Really, is there much we can do about it? Probably not, unless we reduced the world's population significantly or if the world suddenly reverted to a pre-industrialized age. Personally, I just don't want to pay a higher gas tax.
            Ahh, gun control. A terrible, terrible idea. Why would we ever want to attempt to rid ourselves of the thousands of deaths caused every year in the United States by guns? No, we mustn't do that. Everyone must have a potential killing stick! In a split second, anyone can kill another person without even having to be near them.

Japan, which has about a dozen murders every year and is almost half our population, has strict gun control. In the United States, there's over 10,000 murders yearly. We don't have strict gun control. Perhaps there's a correlation? Nah, it must be those gawd damn liberals trying to RUIN AMERICA.

Big government? The Republicans are about as pro-big government and big business as you can get. You just gotta love Bush's constant expanding of presidential powers and revoking of citizens' rights!

Health care you say? Yeah, **** that! Everyone can fend for themselves! Screw people who develop cancer and have to pay hundreds of thousands of dollars in medical bills! They can go to hell!

While we're at it, let's get rid of the police and fire department too! Self-protection should be the responsibility of the individual, not the government.

Abortion/Gay rights? Yeah, **** that shit! It doesn't apply to me, so I shouldn't be at all concerned about my fellow citizens having equal rights. The genocide in Darfur doesn't affect me either, I say we let those stupid niggers keep killing each other! Hey, that guy down the street who raped that six year old kid? Wasn't me or my kid, who gives a shit?

Global warming: lol who cares about humanity's only habitat that we can survive in, I just want cheap gasss for my SUV

Originally posted by Jim Tindell
            Tommy Thompson
            You know, you don't have to support Thompson just because he was the governor of your state once. This isn't some retarded state pride convention, this is about who you want the future leader of our country to be.

By the way, he dropped out days ago, as someone well informed in politics would know.

Comment

Why are gay rights such a big issue for you?

Personally, I don't support legislation barring employers from discriminating against gays...or anyone...it has nothing to do with homophobia...I couldn't care less about anyone's sexuality, but a private employer has every right to hire or not hire whoever it chooses, and for whatever reason, rational or not. An employer can bar left-handed people for all I care. At what point do you draw the line for "protected" peoples? Should Adult Babies be a protected class, too? Furries? Compulsive masturbaters? They're not hurting anyone!!!

The problem with "protective" legislation is that it today it has reached a point where you almost can't fire or you have to hire someone who happens to fall into a protected category, lest the employer be accused of discrimination. I see this all the time...we have a horrible employee who has literally put the lives of others at risk due to incompetence (I work security,) but her boss is afraid to fire her because she's black and a female and the majority of our employees are white males. I've seen white males get fired for much less than what she gets away with.

Leave it to the free-market. This is not something government needs to get involved in. Perhaps there was a need for it in 1964, but not now.[/i]

Comment

What exactly are you trying to accomplish by shitting on everybody, Xizer?

Comment

Personally, I don't support legislation barring employers from discriminating against gays...or anyone...it has nothing to do with homophobia...I couldn't care less about anyone's sexuality, but a private employer has every right to hire or not hire whoever it chooses, and for whatever reason, rational or not. An employer can bar left-handed people for all I care. At what point do you draw the line for "protected" peoples? Should Adult Babies be a protected class, too? Furries? Compulsive masturbaters? They're not hurting anyone!!!

The problem with "protective" legislation is that it today it has reached a point where you almost can't fire or you have to hire someone who happens to fall into a protected category, lest the employer be accused of discrimination. I see this all the time...we have a horrible employee who has literally put the lives of others at risk due to incompetence (I work security,) but her boss is afraid to fire her because she's black and a female and the majority of our employees are white males. I've seen white males get fired for much less than what she gets away with.

Leave it to the free-market. This is not something government needs to get involved in. Perhaps there was a need for it in 1964, but not now.[/i]
                  They are a big issue because I am concerned for my fellow citizens. 10% of the population is gay. That is 10% of the population that is being unfairly discriminated against in several areas. That is quite simply unacceptable to me. No one should be discriminated against. No one.

Comment

Outlining same-sex marriages and unions isn't going to automatically wipe gay discrimination out of the United States.

Comment

Outlining same-sex marriages and unions isn't going to automatically wipe gay discrimination out of the United States.
                      Who said it was? But at least it's making progress.

Unlike the Republicans who actually wanted to amend the Constitution to take away a right from the country's citizens.

I'm not understanding this whole "Well, I'm not gay, so who gives a shit?" sentiment.

Well hey, I'm not Jewish, so who gives a shit? Round those ****ers up and gas 'em! Yeah! Doesn't affect me.

Comment

Nobody's gassing anyone. The only gay issue right now is marriage/union. This is something that wasn't an issue 10 years ago. These days, it's a stale topic that will never go anywhere. You could walk from city to city Jesus-style, preaching the advantages/disadvantages (if any exist) and wouldn't accomplish anything. It's a moot issue.

Marriage as we know it will be obsolete in 50 years anyways, so we're really swinging the bat at wiffle balls here.

Comment

Originally posted by jobe9779
                          Originally posted by Xizer
                          Ahh, gun control. A terrible, terrible idea. Why would we ever want to attempt to rid ourselves of the thousands of deaths caused every year in the United States by guns? No, we mustn't do that. Everyone must have a potential killing stick! In a split second, anyone can kill another person without even having to be near them.
                          actually Xizer this is kind of an unfair thing to say, because most crimes committed with guns are committed with people who illegally have them.
                          True. Those deaths are not caused by guns. They are caused by criminals. I choose to be prepared to defend myself and my loved ones against those criminals. A firearm merely a tool and it is only as good as its operator.

Fact is, bad people will always have guns. We might as well have some good people with guns, too.

Comment

They are a big issue because I am concerned for my fellow citizens. 10% of the population is gay. That is 10% of the population that is being unfairly discriminated against in several areas. That is quite simply unacceptable to me. No one should be discriminated against. No one.
                            So, do you make it a point to take up every single cause? If you're so concerned about others, why not take up the child sex trade as a cause? It seems to me that 8 year-olds being sold into prostitution rings is a little more serious than two d00ds not having their relationship recognized on a legal piece of paper.

Comment

Oh yeah, it's all fun and games when you aren't a citizen of the country that you get to see turned to shit.
                              Yes, you're right, although I did live in california for 6 years and the UK has a stronger relationship with america at the moment than it does the rest of europe so i guess i can voice an opinion atleast half as worthy as your single state agenda-pushing posts.

Perhaps if you people were informed, you would note that none of the Democratic candidates are advocating full blown gay marriage, but rather, "civil unions."
                              Why, because they failed the first time with gaining public backing with "full blown gay marriage"? in before on full blown

Oh, I see. So just because we can't look at them and identify them as different they don't deserve protections from being discriminated against?
                              Last time I checked, disliking someone based on a lifestyle choice was not a crime but a freedom, something your country was built upon.

From your post I'd have to conclude that you are a homophobe. Let's have a look at some of the fine, outstanding communities in the world that have homophobic tendencies, shall we?

Ahh, Africa and the Middle East. Wonderful, remarkable crowning examples of human intellect and achievement. America must continue to strive to be more like these countries, instead of like all other first world nations, which at least allow civil unions.
                              See that little green dot above france? Thats the UK, thats where i live. Our government makes decisions for us. Be thankful yours lets you vote on even the most mundane laws. And before you start comparing the superiority of america over impoverished countries based on *smirk* gay marriage laws, I suggest you look at and understand the more important issues these nations face and why such laws are at the bottom of their "things to do" list.

They are a big issue because I am concerned for my fellow citizens. 23% of the population are paedophiles. That is 23% of the population that is being unfairly discriminated against in several areas. That is quite simply unacceptable to me. No one should be discriminated against. No one.
                              i hear ya man, i hear ya. power to the people and all that jazz.

arent bullshit statistics funny? especially the ones pulled out of your ass =)

Comment

Japan, which has about a dozen murders every year and is almost half our population, has strict gun control. In the United States, there's over 10,000 murders yearly. We don't have strict gun control. Perhaps there's a correlation? Nah, it must be those gawd damn liberals trying to RUIN AMERICA.

Big government? The Republicans are about as pro-big government and big business as you can get. You just gotta love Bush's constant expanding of presidential powers and revoking of citizens' rights!

Health care you say? Yeah, **** that! Everyone can fend for themselves! Screw people who develop cancer and have to pay hundreds of thousands of dollars in medical bills! They can go to hell!

While we're at it, let's get rid of the police and fire department too! Self-protection should be the responsibility of the individual, not the government.

Abortion/Gay rights? Yeah, **** that shit! It doesn't apply to me, so I shouldn't be at all concerned about my fellow citizens having equal rights. The genocide in Darfur doesn't affect me either, I say we let those stupid niggers keep killing each other! Hey, that guy down the street who raped that six year old kid? Wasn't me or my kid, who gives a shit?

Global warming: lol who cares about humanity's only habitat that we can survive in, I just want cheap gasss for my SUV

Tommy Thompson
                                You know, you don't have to support Thompson just because he was the governor of your state once. This isn't some retarded state pride convention, this is about who you want the future leader of our country to be.

By the way, he dropped out days ago, as someone well informed in politics would know.
                                You can't make a simple "X country has gun-control and has Y number of murders..." and have it mean anything. For one, Japan and the US are very different countries with very different histories. Suddenly banning guns would not reduce the murder rate. Also, based on your rationale, explain please why Washington DC (with very tight gun control) has such a high murder rate, whereas Vermont (which has very lax gun laws) has a comparatively lower rate?

Big Government: If you read my post, you'd see that I support what the Republican party used to stand for. "Used to" is past tense. Past tense as in before GW.

Health Care: I've gone all my life without health insurance. I choose not to have it because I don't feel I need it. I exercise and I don't eat junk food everyday. Why on Earth should I pay for health care for others, especially those who don't exercise and eat crap everyday? Cancer? Well, unfortunate, but sorry, really not my responsibility to take care of you. Sorry, your police/fire dept argument doesn't fly, as police are necessary to maintaining a civilization. MRIs are not. Take the Murray-Hill riot, for example.

Abortion/Gay Rights: Yep, sorry, really don't care. I'm not gay and I don't plan on having an abortion ever. I have bigger things to worry about in my day than the current Hot Button topic. Darfur? I'm not here to police the world. Now, the bastard who raped the six year-old girl deserves punishment because he has violated our laws.

Global Warming: I don't drive an SUV. In fact I take offense to that. I drive a 1992 Nissan 240SX or a Suzuki SV650 most of the time. I know, that car in my signature really looks like a Denali, so I suppose I shouldn't be too hard on you.

Sorry to kill your dreams, buddy, but adding $.50 to the gas tax isn't going to slow down global warming....it's just going to piss people off. Unless you've given up your car, given up heating or cooling your home, given up buying anything manufactured, and are self-sufficiently living in the forest on nuts and berries, STFU about global warming, because you might be causing it, too.

Comment

Working...
                                X