• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: GL Url virus alert

Originally posted by Buzz
    Originally posted by Xizer
    Do something about what?

No, I can't do something about your anti-virus program acting retarded.
    I guess he just wanted to know how YOU keep your system clean without using anti-virus programs...maybe you use LINUX or sth ^^
    I don't act like an idiot and download free-xxx-videos.mpg.exe from the shadiest website I could find in my random Google search using IE.

Comment

Originally posted by Buzz
      Do something about what?

No, I can't do something about your anti-virus program acting retarded.
      I guess he just wanted to know how YOU keep your system clean without using anti-virus programs...maybe you use LINUX or sth ^^
      I don't act like an idiot and download free-xxx-videos.mpg.exe from the shadiest website I could find in my random Google search using IE.
      I think none here is that stupid to do something like that...not to mention that your system can get infected on different ways and not only by dubious download sources...
      Gallery

Comment

Here's what appears to have happened. MoD had a virus on his computer prior to visiting GL, most likely derived from a link he clicked on some chan. I am familiar with this screengrab posted, it is a virus posing as an anti-virus prog. It will pretend to remove viruses but what it is really doing is editing your registry in order to gain admin privileges. Best bet is to do system restore asap before you lose this privilege.

On the merits of anti-virus software, I find that it causes more problems then it prevents. The majority of what the software views as threats are actually false-positives and its fixes can inadvertently damage your system. Now I understand most computers either come bundled with the software or have it pre-installed, so it is by no means a dead art. If you insist on employing it do so with discretion. Remember all you really need is a solid firewall, system restore/safe mode, and common sense.

Comment

Well, I haven't had any issues with viruses and get lazy

Comment

Originally posted by Berb
            Well, I haven't had any issues with viruses and get lazy
            Well, my Kaspersky (real one) gives me a warning with every single click I do here. And it goes berserk when I stay on any GL-page for a little bit longer. Started yesterday. And all the rest of the Internet is nice and clean and safe...

Comment

I can acces the forum with IE now. I haven't moved a file since the problem started, it just fixed suddenly so it really was the url not my computer.

Comment

So it turns out there was indeed a problem. DreamHost has the shittiest security ever.

If you visited GL while the rogue php code was in there, then no, you don't have a virus. The script only affected IE users and redirected them to a Russian site where they were prompted to download malware. Only if you were dumb enough to use IE AND click "yes" on the "Download malware?" prompt then you have a problem.

If you use a proper browser like Firefox or Chrome you can rest easy. I would've taken this more seriously if you guys actually typed with legible English like Lazycus. I assumed it was just someone being incompetent with a virus on their local machine instead of there actually being a problem with the site as is the case 99% of the time.

Anyways, it's been completely removed and I'll keep a closer eye on it so it doesn't happen again... I'm also looking into moving hosts sometime. I'm tired of DreamHost's incompetence.

Comment

Ugh IE it still boggles the mind why anyone still uses it
                  http://eighteenlightyearsago.ytmnd.com/

Comment

Working...
                  X