• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: YouTube Video's ETC

http://eighteenlightyearsago.ytmnd.com/

Comment

This woman survived the tornados in the Moore, Oklahoma area that tore through Sunday and Monday. She looks exhausted, but resiliant. The ending kills me though...made me cry (it's good).

Comment

Originally posted by Trinity View Post
        This woman survived the tornados in the Moore, Oklahoma area that tore through Sunday and Monday
        the dog looks paralysed and probably need a vet...I bet they rebuild the city with wooden houses again...don't get it...if ppl live in a tornado area and are too poor for solid buildings the government of the richest country in the world should support them...
        Gallery

Comment

To me, the dog looks shaken up. I'm certain if they can get to a shelter he/she will get a checkup to make sure, if that hasn't happened already. Regarding homes, I'd gather you're outside the US? In that area of the country (known as Tornado Alley) you won't see many homes built solely with wood. Most in the area will be brick buildings, and many will have areas in their home made specifically to withstand tornados of a certain strength. It's kind of like down here in Florida...most homes down here are built to withstand hurricanes of a certain strength, though not all are (the old homes that aren't reinforced).

Also keep in mind that at least one of the tornados that hit this area was an EF 4, meaning it had winds between 166-200 mph or 267-322 km/h. That's nearly the strongest type of tornado that can happen (on record). Not many homes stood a chance. It's the chance you take living in a certain area of the world. If it's not tornados, it's earthquakes, floods, snowstorms, wildfires, etc.

Comment

To me, the dog looks shaken up. I'm certain if they can get to a shelter he/she will get a checkup to make sure, if that hasn't happened already. Regarding homes, I'd gather you're outside the US? In that area of the country (known as Tornado Alley) you won't see many homes built solely with wood. Most in the area will be brick buildings, and many will have areas in their home made specifically to withstand tornados of a certain strength. It's kind of like down here in Florida...most homes down here are built to withstand hurricanes of a certain strength, though not all are (the old homes that aren't reinforced).

Also keep in mind that at least one of the tornados that hit this area was an EF 4, meaning it had winds between 166-200 mph or 267-322 km/h. That's nearly the strongest type of tornado that can happen (on record). Not many homes stood a chance. It's the chance you take living in a certain area of the world. If it's not tornados, it's earthquakes, floods, snowstorms, wildfires, etc.
            I see...I didn't know the details like the strenght of the tornado...otherwise the best protection against tornados are panic rooms like basements...unfortunately, the most buildings there were missing such facilities...
            Gallery

Comment

Moore, Okla., has a history of major tornadoes. In what experts say is an unusual coincidence, Monday's deadly storm loosely followed the path of an even more powerful twister that hit the Oklahoma City suburb in May 1999. The earlier tornado had winds of 300 mph, the highest wind speed ever recorded near the earth's surface. In contrast, Monday's tornado registered wind speeds of up to 200 mph.
              I agree with Buzz on his statement. Whatever happened to storm cellars? Especially the school of all places not like they didn't have enough warning where they would have gotten all the children out of harms way.

We tend to forget rather quickly how fragile we all really are

Comment

That's a good point on storm cellars. The link to an article below for The Atlantic's site notes that only a fraction of folks in Oklahoma have them, largely due to the soil composition not being ideal for cellar building, and/or not having the money to build one (either a cellar or a basement). I'd hope that going forward, more local businesses (especially in Moore, OK and areas affected yearly by multiple storms such as this) and families or government subsidies of some sort band together to build group shelters, if one cannot be built for each family.

http://www.theatlantic.com/technolog...lahoma/276073/

Comment

Tornado survivor finds Dog
                  God that was lucky, couldn't you just sense how shook up the poor little Dog was.
                  Getur einhver annar verið Glanni ? það bara passar ekki
                  Stefan Karl Stefansson, það er enginn eins og þú!

Comment

Also keep in mind that at least one of the tornados that hit this area was an EF 4

It's been upgraded to a EF5

http://www.reuters.com/article/2013/...94K16120130521

Meteorologists estimate that the amount of energy released was anywhere from eight to 600 times greater than the Hiroshima bomb, with more estimates closer to 600.
                    http://now.msn.com/moore-tornado-pow...ma-atomic-bomb

Comment

Originally posted by boredjedi View Post
                      It's been upgraded to a EF5
                      Literally just heard that on the news.

Meteorologists estimate that the amount of energy released was anywhere from eight to 600 times greater than the Hiroshima bomb
                      Good gracious.

Comment

Here's a neat video...the great view comes up around a minute in. I grew up in eastern Colorado and visited Skyline Drive a few times. It has breathtaking drops on both sides of the one laned road. There are a lot of roads like this in Colorado...they make for fun off roading avenues in the summertime. (Though not this one...too steep. Parachuting or hangliding from it would be better. )

Link (if the youtube doesn't come up): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=desQB1fTh60

Comment

Here's a neat video...
                          I like the song. Felt like I was watching a motion episode on wheels. :)

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by boredjedi View Post
                              onesie
                              How fun would that be if it was called "Get Lazy"
                              Onesies are an obsession in the UK! I've seen people go for a night out in them in London!

Comment

Whale watching...a little too close. A father and daughter were in their canoe when they were surprised by a few blue whales off the coast of Fraser Island in Australia. My local news catches a lot of these sorts of clips where folks have close calls with whales, only to just sit back and watch them in awe. If I were to see one this close up from such a vantage point, I think my language would be as colorful as the girl's in this video (meh, I might reel it in a notch...and squee just a bit more in abject panic.)

Comment

Working...
                                X