Movies that REALLY freaked you out

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Movies that REALLY freaked you out

ITT: List the movies that you have seen that really fed your deepest fears and freaked you out. I'm not talking just while watching the movie, or that day. I mean long term fear that gave you nightmares that still lie in the back of your mind and make you afraid of the dark.

Here are mine:

War of the Worlds (1953)
    Invasion of the Body Snatchers (1956)
    X: The Unknown (1956)
    The Tingler (1959)
    Five Million Years to Earth (1968) (Also known as: Quartermass and the Pit)
    The Exorcist (1973)
    Alien (1979)
    The Thing (1982)
    War of the Worlds (2005)

Re: Movies that REALLY freaked you out

Silent Hill (the movie)

I saw it on the first night it came out. Ever since then... I've been scared of the dark and I have this huge fear of things that are... I don't know, grotesque... nah, not that word. If any of you out there have ever played the games or watched the movie I'm sure you know what I mean. Anyway... it still troubles me to this day. I have a bad problem with taking fantasy a bit too seriously. It still scares me when the 12 o'clock alarm goes off on Saturdays. :(

Comment

Just about anything that had a villain that was scarier than Robbie Rotten.

I am such a wuss, and avoid any scary movies & TV shows, although I quite like reading the odd scary book.

TRUE STORY - When I saw "Alien", the only way that I could get to sleep for about 6 months afterwards was if I had a cat on the bed with me, because in the movie the ginger cat could always sense when the alien was coming. So I figured as long as the cat didn't run off, there were no aliens and I would be OK. (I was 17 at the time).

Comment

Mars Attacks.
        Yes, Mars Attacks.

I was nine years old the first time I saw it, those death rays scared the shit out of me! :(

Also, Rasputin in Anastasia was kinda scary as well.

Skeletons was my only really big phobia, so once I got over them in my early teens I've had a tough time scaring the shit out of myself.

Well, one clear exception:
        Saw ALMOST got to me, I wouldn't recommend it if you were freaked out by anything less than se7en.

Comment

When I was little, the episode of The Simpsons which was a Treehouse of Horror. Homer goes into this new 3D world and Homer was all 3D, that scared the crap outa me as a kid, but I watch it now and the episode is hilarious

Comment

Originally posted by Zafa
            When I was little, the episode of The Simpsons which was a Treehouse of Horror. Homer goes into this new 3D world and Homer was all 3D, that scared the crap outa me as a kid, but I watch it now and the episode is hilarious
            is that the same ep as the raven story? That freaked me out.

Comment

Originally posted by moomoo
              is that the same ep as the raven story? That freaked me out.
              No, but that was another one that got me.

The raven was the second treehouse of horror

Comment

Oh my God, that used to totally scare the shit out of me, too. Glad I'm not the only one who felt like that.
                Haha, I used to avoid walls so much, cos I was scared of going into the whatever the hell dimension it was.

Comment

Originally posted by jobe9779
                  Originally posted by AgentKJ
                  Oh my God, that used to totally scare the shit out of me, too. Glad I'm not the only one who felt like that.
                  Haha, I used to avoid walls so much, cos I was scared of going into the whatever the hell dimension it was.
                  the 3rd dimension? Well i got some bad news for you...
                  lol, I've talked to a lot of people that was scared of that episode as kids too

Comment

Don't know really. Perhaps The Exorcism of Emily Rose. The mental image of a contorted body reaching out to me at 3 am seems to be tattooed into my mind.

Comment

Dude! Rasputin was so awesome! Christopher Lloyd does his voice... and he also does the voice of the oh so sexy Hacker *sigh*

And I know what you mean about the Emily Rose movie... that was so freaky...

Comment

I would have to say the first Alien movie. No movie before or since almost had me under the theater seat. :)

However, a movie called the Uninvited (1944) gave me the creeps for weeks. Good old fashioned ghost story.
                        http://eighteenlightyearsago.ytmnd.com/

Comment

I've honestly never been really scared by a movie.

There was this show called "buried alive" on the discovery channel I watched while I was 10 that scared the living shit out of me for weeks.

Comment

Originally posted by jobe9779
                            Originally posted by AgentKJ
                            the 3rd dimension? Well i got some bad news for you...
                            lol, I've talked to a lot of people that was scared of that episode as kids too
                            I've known nobody who was scared of it. When I was in primary school and I was talking to my friends about it, they were just like, "Wtf are you talking about?" kind of thing, cos they just found it hilarious.

But back on topic, I don't really know of many films that freaked me out.
                            I saw "It" when I was a kid, though, and it was pretty scary.

Comment

I haven't really been scared by a movie for a long time, although I did get pretty nervous when I watched the Blair Witch Project alone at 2:00am in the dark. I'd also just watched a TV special about a kid that was supposedly possessed by the devil (presented sort of as a movie) at the time. When I was younger, a Nightmare Before Christmas really freaked me out (I still don't like that movie), and a 'When Animals Attack' episode that I watched on my 7th birthday featuring a cougar ripping the face off a little girl had me convinced that a cougar was going to jump in my window and kill me for months. Seriously, I was freakin' TERRIFIED. :(

Comment

Working...
                              X