No ad blockers allowed on YouTube

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by boredjedi View Post
    Funny enough I was thinking "what you are listening to" was getting rather derailed.
    I should have spun it off. Thanks pooks.
    Well I figured it was relevant, because soon the answer may be "nothing" at least in terms of youtubes, or being able to share songs.
    l i t t l e s t e p h e r s

Comment

Originally posted by chuft View Post

Well I figured it was relevant, because soon the answer may be "nothing" at least in terms of youtubes, or being able to share songs.
      Oh you moved it?
      http://eighteenlightyearsago.ytmnd.com/

Comment

Well what a day I got hit with it just now

Click image for larger version

Name:	YoutubeAdblock.png
Views:	176
Size:	59.2 KB
ID:	191821

Comment

Oh you moved it?

No, I'm saying that I thought what I was saying in "What are you listening to now" about ad blockers was relevant - it could kill the whole idea of that thread. It's not important who moved it. With no youtube though I don't think there will be any more such threads. No more free LT videos either for most people.

Comment

No, I'm saying that I thought what I was saying in "What are you listening to now" about ad blockers was relevant - it could kill the whole idea of that thread. It's not important who moved it. With no youtube though I don't think there will be any more such threads. No more free LT videos either for most people.
            Oh okay. I wasn't understanding the post. Well so far all I have to do is click Allow Youtube Ads
            and then another prompt for refresh page and it refreshes the page with ads still being blocked.
            I don't know if they are done working on its feature of fully blocking you from watching videos.
            But right now it's just those two steps and then you can watch the video.

Another note the ad block prompt doesn't do it all the time.

Edit: As for moving the posts, I just want to make sure I'm thanking the right person.
            Saved me from doing it because I was very close to doing it. The Lazy bum than I am at times (which is most) 😁

Comment

What ad blocker are you using?

I wonder if tools like 4K Video Downloader will still work.

Comment

chuft The Brave browser's own built in one

And yes 4k downloader still works. Been using it.

Comment

Haven't used that browser. When I look it up, sounds like it shows you ads itself? That sounds odd.

Comment

Well this is new.

Click image for larger version Name:	YT-Warning.png Views:	0 Size:	29.9 KB ID:	191815
                    Warnings...??? YOU GET WARNED? They just take my ability to comment.
                    MY ACTION MOVIE REVIEW BLOG | MY SPORTACUS FAN-SITE

Comment

What the hell happened to Mediafire..?

Comment

chuft
                        And yes 4k downloader still works. Been using it.
                        Good, hope it keeps working. Most stuff I like, I download and extract (or rarely, keep the video, like for ASMR's).

A number of interesting things have disappeared within a year or two of being posted, like the fantasy tavern ambient one I like, or the ambient Alien soundtrack one. Glad I snagged them in audio form first.

Comment

onlymp3.net and en.savefrom.net work as well

Comment

It's not 12 bucks, it's 14, and it's per month, or 168 a year.

I don't think I watch YouTube nearly as much as some people. I prefer to read things, or listen to music. I have a very large mp3 collection and CD collection as well as DVD collection, and have Max (which I hardly ever watch, I mostly get it so my mom can watch it at her home) and Netflix (which my Mom gets, and I can watch it, but hardly ever do).

Also it's annoying because YouTube does not create the content, or even buy it, they are making money off content other people create and upload.
                            What's hilarious about this whole thing is that everyone began cutting the cable cord because the prices kept going up
                            and up and up. So, they cut the Cable TV part but kept the cable internet and were turning to just either Netflix
                            or Amazon or both. I don't remember all of the original pricings for Netflix but I do remember at one time it was $6 bucks a month.
                            Amazon prime video I know it comes "free" with your Amazon prime account. I never paid for any of it since
                            I didn't really watch much streaming. The recent binge was for The Expanse a long while back. I love those three seasons.
                            I didn't like the Amazon's 4th and 5th season.

Anyway getting back on track, so you take the cheapest cable internet plan anywhere from $30-$50 and your $6 and you were getting back to the old
                            cable TV prices. That $30-$50 pricing hasn't changed in a long time. Compare that to $120 a month and it kept going up. That's ridiculous. You were paying for
                            almost every channel but end up only settling on a few channels one watches regularly. The sports channels were a separate package of course.
                            Cable didn't evolve into what Dish was doing and that was allowing you to choose your channels and you would pay accordingly.
                            Oh boy I'm going tl;dr again hehe. Fast forward to today, the amount people are paying for streaming is either on par
                            or exceeding what they were paying for Cable Tv. Some people subscribe to every service from Netflix, HBO Max, Disney+ (vomit),
                            Paramount+ and the list goes on. Didn't save a dime in the end did they🙄

I had finally got my mom to cut the cable Tv cord years ago. It was a battle at first until we got her a Smart Tv.
                            Hooked up the Antenna and showed her at the time it was 300+ channels with the digital air broadcasting. Main
                            channels plus all their subchannels. So between Netflix, Amazon and air broadcast the battle was over. I told her
                            why pay all that money for channels you don't even watch and she agreed. And the rest is history.

Would you believe there are 600+ channels now. There's even a 24/7 Bob Ross channel. I kid you not. 😄
                            I turn it on every now again and fall asleep to.

Yay, now Youtube. I don't know how the Youtube Red works in terms of do content creators get a cut of that.
                            I know they get a cut of the ad revenue (and like 70% of the superchats (tips) from live streams). It's not much of and ad percentage.
                            I do understand that they are providing and maintaining the platform and from what I heard it's not cheap bandwidth wise alone.
                            I don't think the place has ever been in the black since day one and one of the main reasons the original creators sold to google.
                            Google has the deep pockets to keep youtube going even in the red territory it's been.

I mean it's better than getting zero I guess. I say it made youtube a worse place in terms of content creation. A lot of fake and fraudulent people on there more than ever.
                            The all ran to that platform when the ads became a thing. I mostly watch sciencey stuff on there and some pop culture channels and a lot of
                            searching out new music.

I noticed a trend with this new music coming out. It's all about love and breakup crap.
                            Ugh boring. 99% is just female singer's regrets of walking away and such. At times being bitter. Don't know if they are writing their own
                            lyrics on most of them anymore as well. Garbage (no not the band) in other words. It's gotten like the Dear Abby columns.

Comment

I have never met anyone who gets over the air broadcasts here. Must be a NYC thing. Most TVs don't even have a receiver, I know my first HDTV didn't. I doubt my current one does either. You need more than just an antenna, you need a receiver. I recall trying an antenna on my girlfriend's TV once, there were like two channels, both mostly snow more than picture. I don't think anyone is broadcasting over the air anywhere around here.

The original promise of cable TV was "you pay but there are no commercials."

Then once everyone was on cable, they added in....commercials.

Then the promise was "if you pay for premium channels like HBO or Cinemax, no commercials." So people had to pony up again just to get back to no ads.

I believe Spotify or Pandora did something similar with "pay for no ads" and then next there was another tier that actually had no ads, with the in between tier having ads but more control over the songs, or whatever. I don't use those music streaming services so I don't recall.

I really hate ads so I haven't had cable TV in decades. It's actually a part of my rent package here - I have to pay $75 for internet and cable TV. I never got the cable TV box I am entitled to because I know I would never watch it. I hate ads that much. Can't stand them. I don't listen to commercial radio for the same reason.

I recall in the past everybody was into DVRs so you could record shows and then watch them later and have the DVR automatically skip the commercials. I think the cable companies even sold virtual DVR functionality like this. I haven't heard about that in years but I don't watch shows so I don't really care.

The instant ads appear on Max I will drop it. Not like I watch it much anyway, just once in awhile my girlfriend and I watch something on Max or Netflix. Usually a big budget movie like Avatar 2 or Dune.

I cannot stomach ads in general. On a computer they are far worse because they often contain malware. As Scotty would say "I'll not lower the shields."

I suspect a lot of YouTube's problem is 4K streaming. They should charge a premium for that, because it takes up an enormous amount of bandwidth and storage. Or even for 1020p. Frankly most stuff on there is nowhere near that resolution. Most of the music videos/ambient videos I access either are very low (like 240p or 360p) or else have static images so I could care less about HD video. You certainly don't need it for talking head type educational videos.

Guys I work with are now talking about family plans etc so they either already pay or are planning to pay for Youtube. But I just don't use it very much so it's hard to justify giving Google money when they make so much off selling people's info, especially when they are not actually creating the content on there.

Comment

chuft I brain farted on the channel information. I forgot that up to channel 68.3 is strictly Air Broadcast local to the NYC area.
                                The rest is Streaming Tv. It's a Roku Tv. I noticed I got a channel in the high numbers from Fresno California. Pittsburg and Connecticut.
                                I haven't seen any Florida ones. With good reason. That recent update the TV did a month or two ago the channels now go up to 4638 but not sequential. 😲
                                Might be there but I'll scroll later. I hate this remote for the TV because it's scrolling up and down only doesn't have a numeric keypad.

Here are the samples

Air broadcast channel ends and streaming tv beings
                                Click image for larger version  Name:	AirBroadcast.jpg Views:	0 Size:	173.2 KB ID:	191876

It's over 4000! 😂

Click image for larger version  Name:	4000Channel.jpg Views:	0 Size:	199.9 KB ID:	191877

Bob Ross and I forgot about the Dr. Who channel (just the classics)

Click image for larger version  Name:	BobRossChannel.jpg Views:	0 Size:	180.3 KB ID:	191878

Click image for larger version  Name:	DrWhoChannel.jpg Views:	0 Size:	193.1 KB ID:	191879

No commercials on either one.

As for the DVR, as far as I know I do believe they were still offering that
                                not that long ago. You paid extra for that since it was a different cable
                                box with the DVR built in.

Looks like they still do in fact

What is Spectrum DVR?
                                Your Spectrum receiver has a built-in DVR – a hard drive to record and store several hours of programs so you don't have to worry about missing your favorite TV shows.

Is there an extra charge for DVR service?
                                Yes. Spectrum's DVR service is available for an extra charge with a TV subscription.
                                Ah Cloud DVR too

What’s Cloud DVR?
                                Spectrum’s Cloud DVR (cDVR) and Cloud DVR Plus (cDVR Plus) are available to customers who do not have Spectrum Receivers. They allow customers with certain TV packages to record live TV programming directly to the cloud.

Oh and the new issue coming to Streaming channels. Getting rid of password sharing.

Comment

Working...
                                X